Filling 25 litre water containers

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
grenfell

Re: Filling 25 litre water containers

Post by grenfell »

To be honest all I do with containers is to wash them out with water. I picked up several one gallon containers that held drink concentrate so couldn't see the point of using bleach or whatever , just rinse out until there's not a trace of smell. I also brought some 20l jerry can types new and just used water with those. As they are black I filled them and stood them outside in the sun and used the water for the washing up and then flushed the toilet with that water and have repeated that several times.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I use 5 gallon opaque plastic barrels that held truckwash.My brother uses it.I wash em out,like grenfell,until there is no smell,then fill them up.Just make sure the light does not get to them so algae doesn't grow.When it comes to changing the water,I bang a glug of thin bleach in,leave it half hour,empty,and refill without rinsing.We h ave had to use it during a mains burst,and we didnt die. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jansman: Whats 'truckwash' ? I can only find links to companies who wash trucks..... I know what its for, I want to know whats in it [/nerd]

Everyone else has pretty much covered what you need to store water and how to.

The only advice I'd add is one gallon of water weighs 10lbs, so a 25 litre jerry is over 50lbs (or 25kgs if you're metric). While this is an acceptable weight for a fit healthy adult to lift and carry, some of the household might not be fit and/or healthy adults. You might not be available to move stuff around, plan accordingly.

You can fit taps to your containers (or have a tap on a cap for Jerries) and a frame or shelf to lift them high enough to get a bucket/jug under (thereby fetching water as you need it).
Or
Use mechanical handling (sack barrow, trolly or WHY) to move the container from storage to point of use.... This still requires lifting though.
Or
Plan on moving point of use to near the water storage (at least for the duration of the Event)

Some of the folks on here use lots of smaller containers due to ease of use
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've read this thread and I'm still confused :? I am filling 25L black containers. I'm going to rise them out but then do I just fill them with tap water and leave them? I have thin bleach. Not sure whether to add that when storing or when I want to drink it?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lemne wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:50 pm I've read this thread and I'm still confused :? I am filling 25L black containers. I'm going to rise them out but then do I just fill them with tap water and leave them? I have thin bleach. Not sure whether to add that when storing or when I want to drink it?

If they are New food grade a quick rinse out with THIN bleach (I use sodium metabisulphate and citric acid mixture (Google It and don't breath the toxic vapour)

Rinse then fill to the brim get as much air out as you can by filling last few inches with the barrel tilted

Less air less oxygen for bugs. .. cool dark place jobsva good one for 6 months or so
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Thank you!
peejay

Post by peejay »

Prepmomma wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:27 pm Thank you @deeps!! They look great & are way more concentrated than the ones I found where I’d have had to put in 25 tablets!
Your smaller doses don't have to be wasted - they're aimed at preparing smaller batches of water so would suit 1 or 2L bottles nicely so keep 'em anyway.