How long is safe?

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
yorkshirewolf

Re: How long is safe?

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Deeps wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:40 pmI keep about 200L ready use, 6 25L containers (I've a 7th that I was planning on adding to the stash but I've a half notion to try and conceal it at my fav wild camping site) and other bottles. I also keep several pop/juice bottles/cans of pop/juice and also fresh orange/apple, its stuff we use so I like to store it.

Depending on the whys of you using your stored water will have an impact on your usage. If its a localised mains supply issue then you know its going to be back on or a bowser will turn up. If its longer term then you might have to be more canny with it. One water saving measure is paper plates and plastic cutlery.

As you say, there's no escaping the actual bulk and weight of water, this is where purification comes in.
Do you empty/refill very often or do you just treat and leave? and whats the longest you'd leave it?

I was thinking about this as we have a 25L clear water container (the sort you use for camping/caravanning with a tap) that we leave in the van for the dogs to drink, and this time of year i refill it maybe every month, but in winter it can be in there for months.
There have been a few occasions where I've used it to refill a bottle for myself when I've either not had access to a drink or i was too tight to buy a bottle from a shop :lol: and to be fair, even after knowing it's been in there a couple of months, it seemed ok, not fresh tasting by any means, but it didn't make me ill....

I agree on keeping the pop/cordial in stores too, it makes things taste a bit nicer and gives a bit of sugar if needed, i also keep some of the powdered carbohydrate & electrolyte mix in too, thats good for stomach upsets/diarrhea, loads cheaper than Dioralyte.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If your water was clean* to start off with and put into a clean* container there isn't really any reason to change it.
However, because we don't live in a perfect world I'd of thought that 12 months would be an easy rotation period ("1st of May, time to change the water stocks" kind of thing)

The Navy used to have troubles with bad water because although they scoured the barrels between uses they put water fresh from the well or stream in them

I currently have a recycled polypin full of tap water that must be 6 years old in stores (I lost it :oops: ) and I'm going to be conducting an experiment soon........ If I suddenly stop posting you'll know the water was bad.

*Clean as in zero bacteria/viruses/spores/moulds/dirt etc..... Nearly impossible unless you build cleanrooms for a living.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have 25l barrels 18 months untouched.I will do the same as ForgeCorvus!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:24 pm I have 25l barrels 18 months untouched.I will do the same as ForgeCorvus!
What? Loose one behind everything? Good man for trying to make me feel less of a bad prepper ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 pm
Do you empty/refill very often or do you just treat and leave? and whats the longest you'd leave it?

I was thinking about this as we have a 25L clear water container (the sort you use for camping/caravanning with a tap) that we leave in the van for the dogs to drink, and this time of year i refill it maybe every month, but in winter it can be in there for months.
There have been a few occasions where I've used it to refill a bottle for myself when I've either not had access to a drink or i was too tight to buy a bottle from a shop :lol: and to be fair, even after knowing it's been in there a couple of months, it seemed ok, not fresh tasting by any means, but it didn't make me ill....

I agree on keeping the pop/cordial in stores too, it makes things taste a bit nicer and gives a bit of sugar if needed, i also keep some of the powdered carbohydrate & electrolyte mix in too, thats good for stomach upsets/diarrhea, loads cheaper than Dioralyte.
I'm probably due a water change, its been a couple of years since I changed it. I just wash out the containers and then top them up. Some people put in a wee cap full of bleach or whatever but I haven't bothered. As others have said, if its good going in it seems to be good coming out. Like Forge, I'll do a 'suck it and see' and let you know how I go.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

AHH slap some sodium metabisulpate or a campden tablet in it ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm AHH slap some sodium metabisulpate or a campden tablet in it ;)
I'm sure somewhere in the water section someone made a really good suggestion to freshen up water. Can't remember what it was though. :lol:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I have been told that vigorously shaking stored water up dissolves more oxygen in it and makes it taste better. Not tried it so I can't comment. Perhaps one of our brave boys sampling their 6 year old water could add this to their experiments and report back? I would suggest putting the water into containers smaller than 25L before you try the shaking though...purely on Health and Safety grounds....
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
korolev

Post by korolev »

What's the score on storing bottled water ? was thinking of buying half a dozen 5l bottles to go in the store.
Would I be better off getting some containers and filling them with tap water ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am What's the score on storing bottled water ? was thinking of buying half a dozen 5l bottles to go in the store.
Would I be better off getting some containers and filling them with tap water ?
If you want to buy it,fair enough.I store tap water,as I think bottled water is the biggest con I never thought of!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.