Berkey water system

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
ForgeCorvus

Re: Berkey water system

Post by ForgeCorvus »

https://propur.uk/en/

Local to me (where I work molds plastic parts for them.... I don't get anything for mentioning them though)

Read the lab reports, they seem cheaper then Berkeys and have an equal or better spec.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Thanks for posting that again FC. I knew I'd seen something on the forum, but for the life of me couldn't remember who posted it or what it was called. :P (I've bookmarked it now.)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thanks mate, I've bookmarked for a later perusal too.
peejay

Post by peejay »

One thing to be aware of with the Berkey.

My parents live on a small-holding in Ireland &, like many, get their water from boreholes on their own land (lucky beggars!) but it's hard as nails & firs everything up something rotten in 5 mins so for years they've been using Brittas filter jugs.

I suggested/persuaded them to get a Berkey last year which Mum loved the look of so ordered one on my recommendation <gulp>.

Turns out it doesn't work well with their water in that it doesn't take out the hardness (which I didn't originally check on/realise) but also for some reason left a slimy film on the filters as well which was somewhat off-putting, but in any case the hardness was the deal-breaker for them.

So, it looks like I'll be buying their Berkey from them when they come over in a few months (it was me that told 'em to spend on it :-/) but I wanted to make sure folks were aware of what it can't do, as well as what it can.

I'm actually looking forward to getting it TBH as I was thinking of one myself from a prepping perspective, main thing putting me off was the sheer (lack of) size of our kitchen to host such a beast, but I'm happy keeping it in the loft until we need it I think for now...
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Pete_59 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am This is a system I intend to buy, as soon as I have the spare cash, so I've done some research and according to their website a pair of Berkey filters last up to 23,000 litres, or up to 11 years use, cleaning the filters every 12 months. I'm fairly sure that spare filters, as long as they're not opened, don't go out of date
Bit late to the party but the filters are ceramic (clay). There's nothing to go off, opened or unopened.

Incidentally if you search for Mogul stainless steel gravity water filter on Amazon or eBay you can get a stainless steel body for about £20. The Berkey/Doulton filters fit. But I suggest you purchase a replacement tap (about £8) - the replacement tap is often recommended for the Doulton's too. Ditto the use of PTFE tape. They're not as well made as the Doultons but are considerably cheaper! As far as I can tell they are a copy intended for the Middle East market. You can make a Berkey/Doulton using two buckets, but these look much nicer, will probably last longer, and are only a little more expensive. It's really the ceramic filters that are important, not the containers. I have a Doulton and I have a Mogul as backup.

And just to state what has been discussed before, the ceramic filters do NOT filter out viruses.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A vegan friend of mine told me that Berkey told her they use carbon derived from animal bone, needless to say she didn't then buy one.
I have contacted Propur to ask them what they use.

While I'll admit that this makes no difference to a lot of us and that WTSHTF not everyone's dietary choices can be accommodated, this is an issue if you wish to filter water as part of your normal life.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:While I'll admit that this makes no difference to a lot of us and that WTSHTF not everyone's dietary choices can be accommodated, this is an issue if you wish to filter water as part of your normal life.

Interesting dilemma that one! Does one die of thirst for the sake of dietary principles? It has to be a First World ‘problem’.

Vegetarian diets I totally understand,( my wife is essentially vegetarian)as a large majority of the world eats that way, mainly through lack of animal based protein - which I guess they eat when they have the opportunity. But I digress.

The Berkey system is great. However, like many here, I cannot justify the cost. I have three Sawyers, two unopened, and Millbank bags. And big steel pans to boil the bugger!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm back with a follow-up report

ProPur also use 'Bone Char' as their carbon source, this is (according to them) the only media that will remove Fluoride and even then doesn't do a very good job.

Bone Char is made by heating animal bone in a kiln to over 1000 degrees C for at least 24 hours, all the organic matter is turned to Carbon leaving just that and Calcium.

Here are the facts, draw your own conclusions
peejay

Post by peejay »

Those Moguls actually look REALLY good value! The Berkey I'm getting next month will effectively be free as I've agreed with my parents to swap it for a 7000kVa UPS I've snagged from work in great condition but I'm still tempted to pick up one of these on the current "offer" (will have to check Camel for how long they've been at this price, i.e. whether it's a never-ending "offer" but it's hard to argue, or mess with DIY solutions, at this price...

[Edit]

Just checked - apparently they've been at £20 since Beginning of April at least, then dropped to £14.99 beginning June. Sod it, it's in the Amazon basket anyway... ;)
peejay

Post by peejay »

The Mogul (& alternate tap) finally arrived today. Looks sound enough, just need to decide what filter I want to invest in for it. Pretty simple device really but for the £15 it cost isn’t better than faffing with buckets etc.