Water and sanitation when SHTF

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jansman

Re: Water and sanitation when SHTF

Post by jansman »

...and it will be the neighbours that are the sanitation 'problem'.Forget looting and violence etc. It will be the humble micro organisms that pose the biggest threat.I have a couple of neighbours who are lazy,filthy ######## now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:...and it will be the neighbours that are the sanitation 'problem'.Forget looting and violence etc. It will be the humble micro organisms that pose the biggest threat.I have a couple of neighbours who are lazy,filthy ######## now.
^^^This.

I can very quickly see any neighbourhood degenerating into a hotbed of disease through lack of sanitation. We are only a few generations away from typhoid and dysentery being the death of the day and as I go through the city sometimes it's easy to see where any problems would begin (I'm into my history). This area has a lot of back to back terraces with practically no courtyard because they've extended the property into the outside space and this is probably where it would start.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

I have two 2000l water storage tanks rigged up to my guttering. They are used for the garden at the moment but that would be my water source should the mains go off (with added filtration).

We have a septic tank which I think doesn't need the mains to work? I might be wrong but if the toilet cistern was manually filled then flushed it would just work as normal? I'm not 100% sure about this though. Failing that, i'm big into my gardening and have always wanted a compost toilet!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Clarebelle wrote:I have two 2000l water storage tanks rigged up to my guttering. They are used for the garden at the moment but that would be my water source should the mains go off (with added filtration).

We have a septic tank which I think doesn't need the mains to work? I might be wrong but if the toilet cistern was manually filled then flushed it would just work as normal? I'm not 100% sure about this though. Failing that, i'm big into my gardening and have always wanted a compost toilet!

Depends on your set up old septic tanks need pumping out when full of solids

newer treatment tanks reply on 2 things electric and a bio culture.

The electric powers a big air pump to circulate and aerate the "soup," and there is also a discharge pump to pump the degraded soup into your drainage field aka soakaway

If the pumps fail the bio culture dies and the solids don't get eaten they get into the drainage pump block it and then it's turdmageddon and a nightmare to empty clean and reintroduce the bacteria
images(22).jpg
images(22).jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

ahh ok, it is new in that It was only installed 2 years ago but its not one of the treatment plants. We have a contract with Scottish water to come and empty it every three years. I guess we would have to think of some way to empty it ourselves if the need arised.