Really pleased with myself - water preps

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
dazthechippy

Really pleased with myself - water preps

Post by dazthechippy »

hi folks,

Chuffed with myself as for once I've gotten organised and my 4x25L food grade water containers are here - from a well known site (not the auction one).

Delivery was a nightmare, the courier was a sham having lost the parcel 3 times after telling me it'd been delivered, the seller couldn't care less - only my tightness of potentially wasting £20.00 for a non delivery and the thought of some grubby bloke in a van nicking my stuff made me persevere and chase it down....

Anyway, my question is - should I sterilise/wash out the containers (they are food grade and should be OK) but I'm just wondering if a couple if litres of water, a Milton tablet and a swoosh out before filling with tap water and storing in a nice dark place would be prudent...

cheers
daz
pseudonym

Re: Really pleased with myself - water preps

Post by pseudonym »

Wouldn't hurt.

I'd fill them full and leave over night myself; then rinse and refill.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

If your really nervous then a splash of bleach wouldn't go amis.
I was in Zimbabwe for a while and there they drink the water with Milton still in, I guess its better than sipping rat rot!!

If its emergency water then doing a good overnight water and milton/bleach rinse isn't a bad idea. WOUld be a pity to have gone through all the trouble of securing fresh emergency water only to find it gives you the runs cause you couldn't be arse with cleaning it.

Happy drinking.. By the way do you get Aqua Salveo? http://bladesbeamsandbinos.co.za/produc ... tion-30ml/
that stuff even cleans river water from what I understand.
Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

When I got mine I gave them a thorough wash through and a splash of bleach, we're not metered so I wasn't shy with the water. giving them a final clear out. Filled them up and have forgot about them, I know some like to cycle them regularly but I've had water stored for years that I've drank.
jansman

Post by jansman »

What they all said^^. I do a lot of home brewing. When my 25 litre brew bins are emptied of beer and such, I clean them then fill to the top with clean , cold water and shove in about 250 ml of thin bleach , the cheap Asda or Tesco stuff at less than 30p per 2litre bottle. I leave it like that until I need it for a brew. When that happens I empty it , quick swill and good to go.

With your water containers, I would do the above, but no rinsing ( it won't hurt). Don't forget to scrub the outside first, and make sure your hands are clean too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
CraighR

Post by CraighR »

Deeps wrote:When I got mine I gave them a thorough wash through and a splash of bleach, we're not metered so I wasn't shy with the water. giving them a final clear out. Filled them up and have forgot about them, I know some like to cycle them regularly but I've had water stored for years that I've drank.
we tended to have crates of water and drink through them, AS we emptied one we would replace so that there was always about 10 crates of "fresh" water. Our base that we were going to had water, food, defenses etc so it was just emergency stuff for if our plans were scuppered temporarily or permanently so we had enough to get us to a new base.
Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Depending on where they're stored it might be worth filling them and adding a few steri-tabs to keep it from going stagnant or getting algae growth.

Are they the black containers or clear? Clear will let light through and over time will go green if nothing is added.

Milton tabs are basically stronger versions of the small steri-tabs anyway, one milton tab in 25l of water will be ok to drink, might taste a bit 'bleachy' though.

I know if i'm not using my camelbak for a few days but am leaving the water in I add a few steri tabs, keeps it fresher.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

thanks all, good to know i was in the right kind of mindset.

not worth getting the aztec two step if i can avoid it, so i'll rinse and purify. They'll be in the garage which is cool most of the time, so no sunlight will reach them, important as they are clear containers..

thanks again for your suggestions
jansman

Post by jansman »

Put black bin bags over them too,to excluded light.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Put black bin bags over them too,to excluded light.
That's not a bad idea, I've got the dark blue ones and they're in a dark garage but an extra layer wouldn't do any harm, its not like I'm in and out them on a regular basis.