Fish Tank Foam Filters

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
dazthechippy

Fish Tank Foam Filters

Post by dazthechippy »

Hi Folks,

im moving on to water as my next set of preps, nothing complex just harvesting water from the roof into the water butts. we moved about 15 months ago so no butts installed yet but when i took them from the old house they had gunk and general nastiness in them that had collected on the roof of the shed and been washed into the gutter, down the pipe and into the butt so been thinking about that...

I'll fit a guard at roof level to take care of most of the leaves but wondered what people have done on filters further down the pipe and remembered my days of having a pond and how a series of graded foam filters help keep the water a bit cleaner and gradually take the general nastiness out.

so, has anyone done anything like that using foam as an inline filter system and how. I like the idea of linking a few butts so the one at the end of the line has the lesser pollutants in it but just wondering what others do and what your set ups are?

i know its still got to be filtered/boiled/treated etc before using...

cheers
Brambles

Re: Fish Tank Foam Filters

Post by Brambles »

Before we moved I had a similar system to what you described. A simple leaf guard into the first barrel and then a box filter between the first and second. The other two were simply connected to the second one inline. I also had Bokashi ceramic tubes in the last barrel. http://www.emsustains.co.uk/EM-ceramics.htm
I used the other barrels for garden use but only drained the bokashi barrel every 4 months.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I've got two filters on my 350 litre water tank, rain comes in off the roof, down one filter which is a 200 micron, then it goes further down the pipe though a 100 micron filter.

i wash them out every couple of weeks, because even though the roof and guttering are pretty clean, it's amazing how much crap they pick up.

I also add a few milton steri tabs every time it fill up - i usually use the water to clean down the garden where the dogs pee - this keeps it free from algae and it smells a bit nicer too.

I'm confident after a good rolling boil it'd be safe to drink.

Contents of my filter can be found on page 2 of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12581

And filters came from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-100-200-MI ... gDOKmiYY9A
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ideally you'd have a 'First Flush Diverter'
http://www.slowsandfilter.org/first_flu ... rter.shtml
Plenty of other good stuff on there too
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar