Adding minerals to distilled sea water.

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Instinct

Adding minerals to distilled sea water.

Post by Instinct »

I've been looking into long term water supplies, SHTF no mains for periods beyond what we can store clean water situation. I live right next to the sea so I figured once stored water along with filters and tablets run out distilling is a good option for large inexhaustible supplies. Then I read that the lack of minerals causing ill health... so people add mineral drops. Which are an option to store, but they will run out. So I'm wondering if there is another self sufficient way to do so. Sure clean water without minerals will be enough to survive, but why risk it if your diet is lacking in minerals as well.
nickdutch

Re: Adding minerals to distilled sea water.

Post by nickdutch »

Instinct wrote:I've been looking into long term water supplies, SHTF no mains for periods beyond what we can store clean water situation. I live right next to the sea so I figured once stored water along with filters and tablets run out distilling is a good option for large inexhaustible supplies. Then I read that the lack of minerals causing ill health... so people add mineral drops. Which are an option to store, but they will run out. So I'm wondering if there is another self sufficient way to do so. Sure clean water without minerals will be enough to survive, but why risk it if your diet is lacking in minerals as well.

Add powdered greens to your distilled water to make a nice green drink rich in minerals and vitamins to make it healthy.

Powdered greens can be purchased from a health food shop or theoretically you can make your own through growing wheatgrass and drying that. Or just juice the fresh greens straight into the water.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Picturing myself explaining to my wife that the water is green for a *good* reason. "Honestly, it's filtered and purified and everything!" :lol:
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I'm dehydrating kale today, would that be good to add to water if its ground up into powder? I intend to sprinkle into food stealth mode to get the goodness into my boys who hate anything green on their plate :lol: :lol:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Decaff wrote:I'm dehydrating kale today, would that be good to add to water if its ground up into powder? I intend to sprinkle into food stealth mode to get the goodness into my boys who hate anything green on their plate :lol: :lol:

When I use powdered kale its normally as a thickener and nutrient boost in a cooked sauce or soup, but you can give it a go.
reperio a solutio
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Thanks Nickdutch that's helpful to know so now I need more kale to dehydrate to use as a thickener!

Also in shtf situation should you be near a recently dried up river, dig down and you should come to water, if your river bed is sandy then dig a decent sized hole, stand a mug/cup/bottle in the bottom, sheet of clear plastic over the top and a stone to make the plastic dip over the cup and let nature do the rest, obviously works better on sunny days.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Decaff wrote:Thanks Nickdutch that's helpful to know so now I need more kale to dehydrate to use as a thickener!

Also in shtf situation should you be near a recently dried up river, dig down and you should come to water, if your river bed is sandy then dig a decent sized hole, stand a mug/cup/bottle in the bottom, sheet of clear plastic over the top and a stone to make the plastic dip over the cup and let nature do the rest, obviously works better on sunny days.

And if you have electricity, use an electric distiller :)
reperio a solutio