Importance of a filter!

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Arzosah

Re: Importance of a filter!

Post by Arzosah »

Sounds really great!

I have one question, which will hopefully always be theoretical - if there is a longish term situation where you have to use that water for drinking, how will you get it into the house with no one noticing? Or is it so out of the way in your garden that no one would see?
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Arzosah wrote:Sounds really great!

I have one question, which will hopefully always be theoretical - if there is a longish term situation where you have to use that water for drinking, how will you get it into the house with no one noticing? Or is it so out of the way in your garden that no one would see?
It's out of the way enough that i doubt anyone would notice, but if there was a long term SHTF scenario, i'd be a lot more nocturnal anyway, but i'd be using non-obvious containers to get it in the house.

That said, i bought a Karcher jetwash which can be used from a water butt, so along that line of thought, it wouldn't be too much of an issue to get a 12v pump and run some piping into the house, then no-one would know.

I'm a big believer in being quiet and keeping a very low profile, and in a SHTF scenario anyone with anything of value would become a target, but there are a lot more people out there with a lot more obvious resources than i have, so hopefully i wouldn't be noticed. ;)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

HAve a look at what the SPHERE standards say on water use in a humanitarian situation - 15l per person per day for cooking, eating and very basic hygiene, I think. 350l won't go very far- if you can extend it I would.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

how you got the first drum plumbed in?

have you seen these?

http://www.diy.com/departments/sankey-r ... 691_BQ.prd

once full (must be level with max water level or it wont work) it sends the excess down the drain

and a basic caravan pump will be almost silent off a 12v battery
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

featherstick wrote:HAve a look at what the SPHERE standards say on water use in a humanitarian situation - 15l per person per day for cooking, eating and very basic hygiene, I think. 350l won't go very far- if you can extend it I would.
All the SPHERE guidelines are based on averages:- of groups, personal needs, climate and even cultural norms! and the figures include washing, sanitation and drinking, my figures are based on using it as drinking water only, in which case it should last a good while (sphere says 2.5-3L per day only for drinking/food)

I mainly worked it out based on personal experience, having spent time living out of a Landrover for a few months, i know that 80 litres could be stretched to last two people a week as we had four nato water cans in which to keep our water.

Most water intense tasks can be pared back massively in an emergency/drought, -push comes to shove, washing can be done with baby wipes, a bowl of water and a cloth, or in a stream/the sea! we've done all three!

The amount you need to drink can vary massively based on climate, temperature, what food you eat, activity level, clothing... so i'd say in our climate, with not too much food and not going too mad activity-wise, 2 litres a day to drink would be fine.

Unfortunately, we can't all have the perfect system, but I've done the best i can with what i already had, and i'm happy enough with the system i have rather than nothing (which most of the populace have!) :D
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Bit of filter maintenance this morning, and all i can say is EEEEWWWW!

Mixture of sewagey smelling leaves, wood and general mouldy grimness.

At least the water in the butt is clean and algae free, wouldn't take too much more work to make it drinkable.
Attachments
20160130_095919.jpg
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Sounds really great!

It's out of the way enough that i doubt anyone would notice, but if there was a long term SHTF scenario, i'd be a lot more nocturnal anyway, but i'd be using non-obvious containers to get it in the house.

That said, i bought a Karcher jetwash which can be used from a water butt, so along that line of thought, it wouldn't be too much of an issue to get a 12v pump and run some piping into the house, then no-one would know.

I'm a big believer in being quiet and keeping a very low profile, and in a SHTF scenario anyone with anything of value would become a target, but there are a lot more people out there with a lot more obvious resources than i have, so hopefully i wouldn't be noticed. ;)
Umm, our water pump is not silent or at least the production of electric isn't when we're experiencing a power cut! Forgive my ignorance, but how would this pump be powered! Or am I being a bit thick..............
Knowledge is power
defender130

Importance of a filter!

Post by defender130 »

Would have thought a 12v caravan type pump running of a leisure battery to pump the water is a silent as it needs to be, little ticking when in use would be inaudible from a few metres away

Charging of leisure battery from solar panel would be silent and a decent leisure battery used sparingly would last a long time even without charging it, ours lasts 3 or 4 weekends of use when camping during the summer and gets charged once a month although I do have a solar panel for it should I need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

defender130 wrote:Would have thought a 12v caravan type pump running of a leisure battery to pump the water is a silent as it needs to be, little ticking when in use would be inaudible from a few metres away

Charging of leisure battery from solar panel would be silent and a decent leisure battery used sparingly would last a long time even without charging it, ours lasts 3 or 4 weekends of use when camping during the summer and gets charged once a month although I do have a solar panel for it should I need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't have put it better myself, Thanks Defender130 8-)

Anyway, if society ever degrades to the point i need to worry about defending my water supply there'll be far more pressing matters than what pump i use...
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I used to have a hand syphon pump, not expensive and pretty much silent (apart from the puffing and panting) more or less the same a boat bailer pump, just stick a longer pipe on it and run it out of a window or something.