Rain water butts

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
grenfell

Re: Rain water butts

Post by grenfell »

How long a butt will take to fill depends upon how much it rains and the size of the catchment area feeding it. Connect it to a decent sized house gutter and it could fill very quickly , just leave it open at the top for rain to fall into it and it'll take forever.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

korolev wrote:How long does a 200 litre water butt take to fill up with normal British weather ? I'm thinking of getting one and using it to flush the downstairs loo.
If you're filling it from runoff on your roof then this link should help https://www.ajdesigner.com/phprainwater ... p#ajscroll it allows you to calculate how much runoff there is for a given area of roof and volume of rain, so work out the roof area and find out the rainfalll stat's for your area and if you enter each months rainfall it will give you an idea of the maximum amount of water you'll be able to collect each month, keeping in mind that the rainfall will vary throughout the year.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Pete_59 wrote:
korolev wrote:How long does a 200 litre water butt take to fill up with normal British weather ? I'm thinking of getting one and using it to flush the downstairs loo.
If you're filling it from runoff on your roof then this link should help https://www.ajdesigner.com/phprainwater ... p#ajscroll it allows you to calculate how much runoff there is for a given area of roof and volume of rain, so work out the roof area and find out the rainfalll stat's for your area and if you enter each months rainfall it will give you an idea of the maximum amount of water you'll be able to collect each month, keeping in mind that the rainfall will vary throughout the year.
Wow! It will fill quicker than I thought, even in May/June. Game on.