conversation with partner

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
intuitive

conversation with partner

Post by intuitive »

so im writing things and ideas down of kits items before sectioning for B.O.B and or a more longterm issue and i just happened to pop a question my partners way about toiletries...so for me minimal...toothbrush, paste, some cotton buds as multi purpose i guess, my partner said soap and a flannel...but to me how does one protect against the issues of damp,water and then the smell? shower gel would run out and risk leaking and leave me with an empty plastic bottle...could reuse but still its a weight too.

a flannel stays wet and then makes things damp and starts to smell? i can use my hands to clean...whats your opinion and options please?
cbp125

Re: conversation with partner

Post by cbp125 »

Soap can be cut into small lightweight pieces and you can buy camping flannels that are small, lightweight and quick drying. Just remember how many people died in WW1 from trench foot for other diseases which good hygine would have helped with. As always with prepping dont just think it, buy it but go out and use it as well, try some wild camping weekends away together and see how your kit works?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

intuitive wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 pm so im writing things and ideas down of kits items before sectioning for B.O.B and or a more longterm issue and i just happened to pop a question my partners way about toiletries...so for me minimal...toothbrush, paste, some cotton buds as multi purpose i guess, my partner said soap and a flannel...but to me how does one protect against the issues of damp,water and then the smell? shower gel would run out and risk leaking and leave me with an empty plastic bottle...could reuse but still its a weight too.

a flannel stays wet and then makes things damp and starts to smell? i can use my hands to clean...whats your opinion and options please?
I'm not planning to bug out, but damp and manky flannel is a no no. It has to be wet-wipes of some sort. Environment be damned. I'm reminded that the Romans used a personal sponge for wiping their bums. With plentiful water, that's not the worst idea. Thank god for zip-lok bags. :)

Note to self: get antibiotics for the inevitable water infection :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Flannel in a zip lock bag......
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
intuitive

Post by intuitive »

yeah ive just found a soap container and i can get a few zip lock bags. the idea of quick drying flannel sounds intresting will go and have a look at those too. thank you guys...pretty much a brain fault on my part :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Eyelet or sewn loop on flannel and hang it on the pack to dry...,..

How many flannels can you Carry?

Lots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-Com ... B00STK7F6K
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
intuitive

Post by intuitive »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 pm Eyelet or sewn loop on flannel and hang it on the pack to dry...,..

How many flannels can you Carry?

Lots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-Com ... B00STK7F6K
i saw these and wondered how good they was lol, i suppose there burnable aswell once dry.

got them in my basket ready to buy. looking at a billy can too with a thinner handle to hook nicely. im just unsure if its worthy buying now at £40 odd as we have new stoves atm. i have a kitchen sink to fit in it but also want to wait for my backpack to turn up so i can see if it will fit in a side pocket
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Another vote for hanging it on your pack to dry. Or in your tent or other BOL.

I am sure I also read an article about female backpackers on the wilder trails who keep a "pee cloth" and hang that on their backpack too. It sounds disgusting but assuming the cloth dried quickly it was probably safer than a handful of mystery leaves and saves carrying enough loo roll for a several weeks.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:32 pm I am sure I also read an article about female backpackers on the wilder trails who keep a "pee cloth" and hang that on their backpack too. It sounds disgusting but assuming the cloth dried quickly it was probably safer than a handful of mystery leaves and saves carrying enough loo roll for a several weeks.
That's a very good travel idea! I've seen articles about using them and putting them in a dilute bleach solution to store before washing them, to extend toilet paper availability during lockdown (to be used for pee only). Mystery leaves, and what might be hanging around in them ... not good! Potentially. Though I have seen bagged oak leaves, left dry for a year, as clean as a whistle. Still, on the move, a pee cloth still sounds good.