You don’t need fancy gear

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
jansman

You don’t need fancy gear

Post by jansman »

I just came across this article on a website I visit regularly. It shows what can be done with very little. This lady puts together an emergency kit in a Greek market in 13 minutes. For anyone new to prepping , the principal could be applied to what you have lying around the house...

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Re: You don’t need fancy gear

Post by Arzosah »

Thats a *really* good article. I go through phases of reading Organic Prepper, there was a lot of posting at one stage of very detailed advice about guns, which really wasn't useful here in the UK. But this is great!

I'm home from my catsitting trip now, and re-thinking my Hotel Bag (bug out bag etc) - its exclusively designed around picking it up and running out the house in case of a house fire. Which is okay, but I put it together a long time ago. Since I emptied it out to use it on this trip, its an ideal opportunity to renew. I like the lighter and vodka ideas, hoodie/oversize t shirt/hat too.

I can't help thinking of Ford Prefect's towel when she recommends a large scarf :lol:

I need to go through the archives of that blog, thanks jansman!
jansman

Post by jansman »

You are welcome Arzosah. I agree that the sometimes’Guncentric’ ( I made that up!) can be a bit tiresome. On the whole though, it is one of the ‘softer’ American prepping sites.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, I've just been over there now for a while, and yes, its much softer than I remember. The post you've linked to is part of that - and her bio says she's currently over here in Europe anyway, renting an airbnb by the month :)

I like that :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I agree with the premise, if you have a short notice warning that its all going to go Pete Tong then you sort yourself as best you can. It seems to come from a prepper point of view (fair do's on a prepper blog) and I would hope most posters on here would have a fair idea what they would need and buy/scrounge/acquire as much as they could.

I'd say having the knowledge is key to it though, and cash natch, that's always handy. Depending on the scenario you might want to think about defence, there are some cheap readily available items that can be improvised, I'll not elaborate.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Interesting article.

I just did a mental exercise in my work place to see what I could take.

Most things covered except a bag of sorts.