A BOB - I never thought I would build this.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
oldman

Re: A BOB - I never thought I would build this.

Post by oldman »

Deeps wrote:In her mobility scooter ????

;)
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

oldman wrote:
Deeps wrote:In her mobility scooter ????

;)
:lol:

Nice 'wheels' and um, I'm prompted to think of a Lord Flashheart/bridesmaid quote. :o
oldman

Post by oldman »

Deeps wrote: I'm prompted to think of a Lord Flashheart/bridesmaid quote. :o
A master of disguise!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

oldman wrote:
Deeps wrote: I'm prompted to think of a Lord Flashheart/bridesmaid quote. :o
A master of disguise!
That hair dye works a treat mate.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Joking aside this is turning out to be a good exercise. Most of the "expected" scenarios I have are answered by bugging in for the first few days and then reassessing the situation and only bugging out if we need to. As a result I have no real bug out plan. I honestly can't think of any other reason I'd want to bug out to the woods.

It's also helping me to think through and explain my thought process as I will have to explain it all to She in a way her pretty little head will understand. (If She reads that I may be living in the woods faster than I thought)

It's got me thinking about grams, calories and volume in a way I had not done before and I'm finding lots of light weight gear that was not around when I was hillwalking. I'm also finding the information on "Stealth Camping" fascinating.

Just to revisit Snipers point about water, I have a utility key and know of a couple of stand pipes in London gardens I can use this on. Garages have free water and most coffee shops and bars will fill your water bottle from the tap if you ask nice. I'm not sure I'd trust any filter to take out the dissolved pollution you may find in an urban environment. If you're willing to trespass a bit then most gardeners will have an outside tap. :)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

London is heavy on security cameras, if your on the run the last thing you want to do is wander around the most policed city in the country, same with getting water from places, your attracting attention to yourself and maybe making yourself memorable to the staff somewhere. That could narrow down a search area for the police or whoever. Medium sized towns and cities are a better bet, lot's less police and security, but enough people to blend in with.
Small towns are a nightmare, everybody spots a stranger and in some places you'll be on the front page of the local weekly just by being a visitor :lol:
oldman

Post by oldman »

sniper 55 wrote:London is heavy on security cameras, if your on the run the last thing you want to do is wander around the most policed city in the country, same with getting water from places, your attracting attention to yourself and maybe making yourself memorable to the staff somewhere. That could narrow down a search area for the police or whoever. Medium sized towns and cities are a better bet, lot's less police and security, but enough people to blend in with.
Small towns are a nightmare, everybody spots a stranger and in some places you'll be on the front page of the local weekly just by being a visitor :lol:
Oh so true, I'm well aware of the camera system in London. We know facial recognition works, farsebook had it for a while but the police have had it for longer. There is the "Ring of Steel" camera system around London that boasts ANPR to log every vehicle going in and out and flags no MOT, no tax, stolen/lost, no insurance, etc. There are traffic cameras with ANPR all around the motorways. The only reason we don't catch every car thief is that there are not enough police to keep up with all the pings from the system. Add to that all the local authority cameras that the police have access to and every home security camera that has not had its default password changed and you're not going far in London if just one dedicated person is looking for you.

And you're right about small communities, I lived in one and kept getting asked about things that I'd done although no one had seen me and they could not prove anything (on the plus side, there was much more of a sense of community than in London).

I should not have used "London" in that sentence, totally not required for illustrating my point about the availability of water in an urban environment. ("the availability of water in an urban environment" a book title?)

Asking for a water bottle top up seems common to me, perhaps I should rethink that if I'm outside London.

In my OP I touched on changing cars but I did not say why because I just know (see the above bit about ANPR). This is the evasion part of "Escape and Evasion".

So, She and I get in our car and drive out of town towards a transport hub (Port, airport, train station) and half way there we buy a car. It has to be a private sale. I drive our car to the transport hub and dump it in the car park with an all day parking/longterm ticket. I then walk to the first GPS location away from the transport hub. She has headed away from the transport hub driving the new car to the first BOL and got a good nights sleep ready to drive over and pick me up at the GPS location. I've been walking most of the night but I can now sleep in the new car while She, who has had a good nights sleep drives. You're not going to fool the cameras with this, you're just trying to expand the amount of data an operator has to look through to find you. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's only going to buy you some time but cost money.

And all that should be in another section as we are supposed to be talking about equipment. :D
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

oldman wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:London is heavy on security cameras, if your on the run the last thing you want to do is wander around the most policed city in the country, same with getting water from places, your attracting attention to yourself and maybe making yourself memorable to the staff somewhere. That could narrow down a search area for the police or whoever. Medium sized towns and cities are a better bet, lot's less police and security, but enough people to blend in with.
Oh so true, I'm well aware of the camera system in London. We know facial recognition works, farsebook had it for a while but the police have had it for longer. There is the "Ring of Steel" camera system around London that boasts ANPR to log every vehicle going in and out and flags no MOT, no tax, stolen/lost, no insurance, etc. There are traffic cameras with ANPR all around the motorways. The only reason we don't catch every car thief is that there are not enough police to keep up with all the pings from the system. Add to that all the local authority cameras that the police have access to and every home security camera that has not had its default password changed and you're not going far in London if just one dedicated person is looking for you.

And you're right about small communities, I lived in one and kept getting asked about things that I'd done although no one had seen me and they could not prove anything (on the plus side, there was much more of a sense of community than in London).

I should not have used "London" in that sentence, totally not required for illustrating my point about the availability of water in an urban environment. ("the availability of water in an urban environment" a book title?)

Asking for a water bottle top up seems common to me, perhaps I should rethink that if I'm outside London.

In my OP I touched on changing cars but I did not say why because I just know (see the above bit about ANPR). This is the evasion part of "Escape and Evasion".

So, She and I get in our car and drive out of town towards a transport hub (Port, airport, train station) and half way there we buy a car. It has to be a private sale. I drive our car to the transport hub and dump it in the car park with an all day parking/longterm ticket. I then walk to the first GPS location away from the transport hub. She has headed away from the transport hub driving the new car to the first BOL and got a good nights sleep ready to drive over and pick me up at the GPS location. I've been walking most of the night but I can now sleep in the new car while She, who has had a good nights sleep drives. You're not going to fool the cameras with this, you're just trying to expand the amount of data an operator has to look through to find you. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's only going to buy you some time but cost money.

And all that should be in another section as we are supposed to be talking about equipment. :D
I was once sent to a small sleepy town to replace somebody. I drove there in my own car, picked up the bloke I was relieving. We drove around for an hour or so as he showed me the patch, then I dropped him home. We hadn't stopped or spoken to anyone.
I drove back to the place we were based and as I got out of my car a bloke walking his dog said Hello, you must be so and so the new bloke. I was stunned, I asked him how he knew and he just laughed and told me it's a small place and the bush telegraph knows everything.
He was right, it was great from my point of view anything interesting happened and we'd know in about a half hour or so. The locals made GCHQ look amature by comparrison.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

if you live in London or even within 30 miles of the city, a car will be useless in the scenario you have depicted ...... everyone and their gran will be on the roads trying to get out well unless you think this would be a targeted strike on your residence which I dont think you'd be posting online lol.

also you mention meds in the first paragraph but listed none in the contents of you bag, you have a water filter but no water ready to drink for the immediate evac ( last thing you want to do is filter ground water in a city, full or petrol, diesel and god knows what)
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
oldman

Post by oldman »

xplosiv1 wrote:if you live in London or even within 30 miles of the city, a car will be useless in the scenario you have depicted ...... everyone and their gran will be on the roads trying to get out well unless you think this would be a targeted strike on your residence which I dont think you'd be posting online lol.
We are talking a targeted strike, think "Hunted" where the contestants have an hours head start. I have no problem discussing an Escape and Evasion scenario on the forum as I don't think it will ever happen, I'm not saying it can't ... Let's suppose that at the next election the Nazi Party gets in, within a few months we have all the other people in internment camps and the borders are closed. Existing anti-terrorism laws are used to "disappear" people off the streets. Any opposition to the government is met with violence. :tinfoil

In that scenario I'm not going to be posting to any forum. :D If, in the above scenario, you were going to put yourself in a position that may attract the attention of the government you better already have an escape plan in place. You're not going to grab this bag and walk out the door into the sunset. You're going to have to work a lot harder than that to get out of the country. :lol:
xplosiv1 wrote:also you mention meds in the first paragraph but listed none in the contents of you bag,
True, but medication is too specific. My meds can be obtained over the counter, She on the other hand, has a lot of prescription pain killers. She has today's meds in her EDC and another days worth in the car, if we are not out of the country in the first 24 hours then something has gone wrong with our plan. With a threat of torture hanging over you you may want to take all the pain meds before they get you :o
xplosiv1 wrote:you have a water filter but no water ready to drink for the immediate evac ( last thing you want to do is filter ground water in a city, full or petrol, diesel and god knows what)
We always have bottled water in the car so we will be using the filter bottles in the future. Like you say, the ground water may be contaminated but bottled water and outside taps are all around. In all my years backpacking I've never used a filter.