EDC for a potential high threat situation.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
ChefSimon

EDC for a potential high threat situation.

Post by ChefSimon »

Hello again.

I thought I would write a post about my EDC which I've recently updated to cover the threats expected in the city where I work. Over the past 7 days there have been 4 shootings in public areas which has resulted in 3 deaths and 6 people in hospital (who happened to be caught up in it as a innocent passerby), there have also been several stabbings.

With the latest terror attack in London & Manchester it has made me want to share what I now carry on a daily basis. I apologise if it's another long post, but I like to cover everything with pictures as well. So here goes...

What bag do I use?
My EDC bag is a 5.11 Covert 25l bag. Before my work related items are put in, but with my EDC kit it weighs in at 4kg (8lb) Added to this is my tablet, lunch box, wet weather gear (if needed) and spare top for work. Plus any paperwork. The main compartment is left over purely for trip specific stuff. All EDC kit is carried elsewhere on the bag so I've plenty of space. (The top of the bag has a sunglasses pouch, which I also keep my keys in & wallet when at work as I'm not allowed to carry cash etc on me)
Scales showing weight of bag
Scales showing weight of bag
Moving onto the front of the bag
As you can see it comes across as a plain looking bag (well it is supposed to be covert) It has a large pass through section which I keep quick to grab items and also my brolly when it's needed. On top of that is a large opening pocket, two smaller document pockets and some webbing for clipping things on if needed. At the top is a small pen/key/small item pocket. It also has two webbed pockets on the side for carrying water. I always carry a 1l water bottle (which I refill at work) The weight of the bag includes the weight of the water.
Outside View
Outside View
Main compartment
Main compartment
So what do I carry?

In the small pass through pocket I carry:
Set of plasti-cuffs
10m of paracord
Basic survival tin from BCB (which does have a break-glass device added to it)
Side pass through pocket
Side pass through pocket
In the top-front pocket I carry:
1x Biro
1x Sharpie marker (to allow me to write treatment/responses onto casualties.
1x Medical Shears
Small top front pocket
Small top front pocket
In the front pocket is:
1x Red Cylume
1x Green Cylume
Purely on a retractable kevlar lanyard (rated for 50kn)
Resuscitation aid
Blue Nitrate gloves
Saline
Small multitool (I've always a larger one on my belt)
LED torch
Seatbelt cutter
First aid Kit*
Front pocket with first aid pouch
Front pocket with first aid pouch
The main first aid kit is packed into a removable webbing pouch so I can drop the bag and use the kit for ease of movement around a casualty or confined space. As you can see, the equipment listed above is all on rip-out velcro webbing for quick deployment and adding to another item which I will tell you about later. There is also a Battlefield Casualty Drills booklet so I can give that to any civvi standing around and they can follow that guide to help out. (If you've not seen one before let me know and I can post about it, all the ex-forces will see them and smile)
Front pocket showing Rip-out panels
Front pocket showing Rip-out panels
*Main first Aid kit contains:
2x First Field Dressings
1x Tourniquet
1x Combat Gauze (Cellox)
1x Emergency blanket
1x Chest seal
1x Adhesive bandage
1x pair surgical gloves (needle resistant)
6x alcohol wipes
10 x plasters
packet steri-strips
1x Saline
1x Eye bandage
2x small crepe bandages
1x Medium crepe bandage
1x Roll surgical tape
1x 10ml syringe (for wound/eye cleaning with saline)
Kit contents
Kit contents
Moving onto the rear of my EDC bag, in place of the water bladder (which I don't use on a daily basis) I've swapped it out for a set of soft level 3a ballistic and stab armour with a carrier. this is designed to stop up to 5.56mm arms fire at close range. It has a dual use. In the bag it gives me a shield so long as I have my back to the incident to find cover. Then I can remove it from my bag and don it to give me front and rear protection to face the problem. Being soft armour it is flexible and gives me freedom of movement.
Ballistic armour in the bag
Ballistic armour in the bag
As you can see from the pictures it has velcro across the front so I can remove the pouches from the front of my bag and attach them to my vest giving me a quick escape option if needed allowing me to dump my bag. There are also two pockets built into the side straps of the armour allowing me to carry my phone etc. I've kept a first aid badge on the front along with my blood-group badge as should I find myself in a mass-casualty event I will be intent on staying around to provide a medical response & also if within my ability from my military training put myself in harms way to harass/deter/stop the treat.
Ballistic armour out the bag
Ballistic armour out the bag
Primarily the first aid kit is for treating myself & family. However, if we are fine I would always give help to others.

So there you have my revised EDC for my interpretation of the current terror threat in the UK.

I look forward to comments and questions as always, thanks for reading!
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: EDC for a potential high threat situation.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'd sex the vest up with something like a high Viz carrier and first aid logos on front and back as some unknown bloke stood in the middle of a shopping centre In a vest is bound to attract the armed officers undivided attention
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:I'd sex the vest up with something like a high Viz carrier and first aid logos on front and back as some unknown bloke stood in the middle of a shopping centre In a vest is bound to attract the armed officers undivided attention
I do have "ID" markers for it which are related to my work. I just don't wish to show them on here if i'm honest as they are identifiable to me personally. They go in the large velcro area on the top of the carrier which is why it's a random empty spot.

But yes, Making sure you don't become a target of the security forces is important.

jansman

Post by jansman »

It's good. Agree with Yorkshire Andy' s point.I would drop the plastic cuffs.I'd be really careful about multi tools too in an urban emergency. In a situation that is emotionally charged,the police will nail you for anything remotely dodgy.I have been in custody for 23 hours and had to explain the opinel in my pocket ( in a violent incident) but that's another tale.It ain't a funny situation,trust me.

You have medical shears,and a sub 3" non locking penknife on your keys will do everything you need IMO.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Few big cable ties in their place "taking them to work to tie up the computer cables on my desk officer ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

I've taken on board about the cuffs. The multitool in the bag is non-locking and the single blade is less than 3cm length. (it's more of a bottle opener blade) My main multitool is a work issued device and is only carried in relation to work. (I'm always in uniform when I have it on me)

I like the thought of the cable ties. I have just the thing in the office at work, and they are damn sight stronger than the cuffs! Think around the problem haha.

The shears are proper genuine medical ones with the rounded, flattened ends. Fine for cutting clothes/bandages etc but useless as a weapon.

BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

This is a great post. You've given me a lot of inspiration, thank you.

Might I ask the make / model of both of your multi tools?
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

My main multitool is a Gerber Suspension. The one in the picture is just a Millets special, think it was under £5.

sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

What level 3A soft armour are you using?, I don't know of any rated to 5.56. Back on the ranges in my day a 5.56 would go right through front and back of any soft armour.
Bearcub20

Post by Bearcub20 »

I loved this post. Thank you. You've given me lots to think about in the light of recent events.