EDC for a potential high threat situation.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
ChefSimon

Re: EDC for a potential high threat situation.

Post by ChefSimon »

sniper 55 wrote:What level 3A soft armour are you using?, I don't know of any rated to 5.56. Back on the ranges in my day a 5.56 would go right through front and back of any soft armour.
It's by a company called Nexus I had it imported from the USA via some US Service personnel I know who are stationed in the UK at present. (it was cheaper than buying it directly in this country and gave me a good excuse for a night out to go and collect it!

Whilst 3A will stop 5.56 it will still cause considerable bruising and if unlucky a cracked rib or two but will not penetrate the body. MP5 9mm and similar will stop with very little bruising.

7.62 rounds you had best check your life insurance is up to date!

Chatting with a tame firearms officer who was having a brew at the hospital I work at (they always come to my office as we are all Veterans & one is recently ex firearms herself), with regards to my multitool it's considered fine to carry so long as I am wearing my work uniform (can justify carrying it) He said that if I was found with it on a night out in the city centre a different view would be taken.

He basically said that for the North West they take a commonsense approach to things. If you can justify having it they are happy. (EG an agency chef going home or to work, a carpet installer buying some shopping in his work clothes etc.) But if you were to carry it with the blade exposed and in any way that could be seen as threatening you'll find out what it's like to be tasered really fast!
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks for the reply mate.
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

I work bang inbetween Westminster and Borough market. I'm a trained first aider and after westminster took to carrying a first aid kit in my bag. My edc is similar to yours in many ways in regards to first aid and wet weather gear and much of the other equipment you describe. You have given me loads to think about and am going to invest in a new pack, mine is getting pretty worn out and is just not versitile enough for an urban environment. Thank you for your post.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DarkArcher777 wrote:I work bang inbetween Westminster and Borough market. I'm a trained first aider and after westminster took to carrying a first aid kit in my bag. My edc is similar to yours in many ways in regards to first aid and wet weather gear and much of the other equipment you describe. You have given me loads to think about and am going to invest in a new pack, mine is getting pretty worn out and is just not versitile enough for an urban environment. Thank you for your post.

You done the catastrophic bleeding bit (added to first aid at work last year)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

After seeing the footage from the MEN bombing the other month it made me think long and hard about what I might have done to help in that situation. This is a good post. The problem for me is that I spend quite a lot of time EDCing a lot of stuff like this and eventually decided against carrying the load. I'm not going back to carrying a buttload of stuff every day, but I will consider adding this to my GHB that I'm about to reassess and put together.

Might dodge the armour and stuff, but might look out for other first aid stuff. As Jansman said, the shears with a keyring penknife (possibly like my mini-champ?) would sort 99% of needs.

I like your style mate.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

done the same, looking at my EDC laptop bag for when I'm in town, got a few larger dressings in there now, need to leave the laptop at home to make room for all this stuff, trouble is no laptop, no work...

oh well, better start taking things out...
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
DarkArcher777 wrote:I work bang inbetween Westminster and Borough market. I'm a trained first aider and after westminster took to carrying a first aid kit in my bag. My edc is similar to yours in many ways in regards to first aid and wet weather gear and much of the other equipment you describe. You have given me loads to think about and am going to invest in a new pack, mine is getting pretty worn out and is just not versitile enough for an urban environment. Thank you for your post.

You done the catastrophic bleeding bit (added to first aid at work last year)
I can't recall if they called it that but we covered tourniquets and cellox dressings.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
shocker

Post by shocker »

Re: armour...I believe some units are using HK MP7s and the like in 4.7x30 AP (armour piercing). I'm a bit out of touch on this stuff but is there any civvy available armour that would slow that down?

I ask merely from idle curiosity. I would think that if one were to be on the wet end of that sort of attention, one would be somewhat embuggered anyway...
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***