New Bergens on a budget

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Jamesey1981

Re: New Bergens on a budget

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Cheers Shocker, as you say the key is to not be defeated, I can't do some of the things that I used to enjoy, my days of running marathons are long gone, and I'm not going to be doing much climbing either, but I can still cover some ground if I take it a bit easy, decent boots have made the world of difference.

I do walk with a stick sometimes when the arthritis in my ankles gets bad, but on the bright side it gives me a reason to carry a cold steel walking stick that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of!

I think I know the video you're talking about plymtom, it's an ALICE pack frame if I recall, very nice but far too expensive over here, can pick them up for next to nothing at every gun show in the states, but we have shipping to contend with, so the Swedish ones are a nice option, I also like a canvas pack, so that's another thing that attracted me to it.
I tend to go for old school canvas packs if I'm playing in the woods, but if I'm actually covering some ground I have various high tech lightweight ones to take some of the pressure off, the LK35 is actually now as comfortable as my favourite lightweight, it's just a lot heavier!
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I do walk with a stick sometimes when the arthritis in my ankles gets bad, but on the bright side it gives me a reason to carry a cold steel walking stick that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of!
I have a Cold Steel Kuhkri...do you think I could get away with carrying it as a disability aid ? :?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

This is the best back supporting bag I have found-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-Italian ... 2558235662

- but it doesnt have the compartments I would like
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

howdy,

I saw one of these at the weekend 'in town' and it was reduced to £30, might be what you're looking for ?

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/trave ... aspx/black

hope it helps.
Fileyprepper
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks buddy ! ;) Theres a Millets/Mountain Warehouse down in town so I will have a look at the build quality. Thats a good price too - its 50 quid online.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Right, done some research and come to a few conclusions. Sort of :oops:

The Dutch packs I have found out are made by Lowe Alpine. I have had a civvy Lowe 30L bag for 20 years now and while it hasnt been on ops (neither have I) its pretty mutch had the sh1t kicked out of it...its been through baggage handlers at airports and lived. So thats a big plus. The back support on them is pretty good, the waist belt could do with some help but a PLCE hip pad will do that. It doesnt have a separate, front entry compartment but the side pouches could take care of that - dry kit one side, stove and messkit the other. And it can be added to with the molle at a later date. All that comes to about £35 delivered

basic bag - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/dutc ... cksack-dpm pouches and pads from various others

Back to my old, old favourite, Vango. Im bidding on a couple of Sherpa 65+10 L packs for under £30 delivered. They have a separate 10L section at the bottom, have second to none back and waist belt and an inside ally frame. They do not have any molle but I shouldnt need any additions.

Then theres the the Italian army surplus mountain bag - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-Italian ... SwCU1YuHZu it looks like there is only one main compartment but the side pouches are large. It has a great looking back, the waist belt, again could do with some help and no molle, but shouldnt ever need expanding. I have had some Italian army kit before and it was real gucci kit, well made. £35 delivered.

So, Im down to those three choices. Hopefully I can pick up a lovely, cuddly Vango. If not, a second hand Dutch Lowe, if not, then an Italian ex-army. So, if you have nothing else to do, watch this space ! ;) :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

shocker wrote:...... So, if you have nothing else to do, watch this space ! ;) :D
*unfolds seat and gets out pop-corn*
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
shocker

Post by shocker »

Put some more popcorn on Forgey, I just got outbid on the first Vango Sherpa - it went to 36 quid and I have set my limit at 35 :cry:
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yaay !!! I got the slightly war-torn Vango Sherpa I was bidding on for under £20 including delivery ! Its 65 L plus a 10 L detachable lower section and if the pics are right, a cracking back support and hip padding. I had a look at a smaller, new one in a shop today and the system looks good with 2 ally staves, lots of padding but good airflow too. Heres the fleabay page ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Sherpa- ... true&rt=nc

If anyones been following this and if after something similar theres a few similar bergens I have been watching, one is a Berghaus that looks good -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berghaus-C7-6 ... -condition

...and some more Vango, Lowe, Older Karri and Berghaus. Shout out and I will put up links.

I will report on the Sherpa when I get hold of it . Thanks to all who weighed in and helped me on my journey, very much appreciated :D :D ;)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I am a bit late to the party, I was going to post this for Shocker but if anyone else is interested S/H bags are often sold here ...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/for ... t-amp-Gear