New Bergens on a budget

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Plymtom

Re: New Bergens on a budget

Post by Plymtom »

I'd be a bit wary of surplus stuff, although It looks good, probably grade 1 pictures eh?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I bought one of these last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Rucks ... ocharm+50l

I am using it to put together my BOB. Good size, comes with 3 removable pockets\pouches and has molle strips for more if needed.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Britcit wrote:I bought one of these last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Rucks ... ocharm+50l

I am using it to put together my BOB. Good size, comes with 3 removable pockets\pouches and has molle strips for more if needed.
Check the buckles and hardware on that very carefully if you haven't already, some of that style of pack are fine but I have a similar one and I broke a buckle the first time I loaded it up, my mate has one that's fine but the buckles on mine were total trash, after I broke the first one I gave them all a good yank and broke two more, really brittle plastic, was cheap so I just replaced all the critical ones rather than sending it back but it'll be much better to break them at home than have them break while you're using it, the buckle that broke was one that holds one of the shoulder straps on and would have been a real pain.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

where do you go for spares? I need a larger lapstrap, too fat but getting smaller, but don't have anywhere local (Leicestershire)?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I buy all my spare buckles and stuff on eBay, sometimes you still get some duff ones but I would say that 90% of the ones that I've bought are better than the ones that came on cheap bags.
What I do is order one or two, when they arrive deliberately break them and see how much force it takes, if they're good then I buy a big bag of them with at least ten.
Still works out cheaper than buying the branded replacements and I like to have spares for every buckle on the pack that's field replaceable with me if possible.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I buy all my spare buckles and stuff on eBay, sometimes you still get some duff ones but I would say that 90% of the ones that I've bought are better than the ones that came on cheap bags.
What I do is order one or two, when they arrive deliberately break them and see how much force it takes, if they're good then I buy a big bag of them with at least ten.
Still works out cheaper than buying the branded replacements and I like to have spares for every buckle on the pack that's field replaceable with me if possible.
do you have any preferred suppliers?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Rykard wrote:where do you go for spares? I need a larger lapstrap, too fat but getting smaller, but don't have anywhere local (Leicestershire)?
Go to Anchor Supplies in Nottingham, they have a load of bergan buckles, straps and clips of all sizes.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/virtualtour

Or RTI in Lutterworth

https://en-gb.facebook.com/RTI-Military ... 433418244/

No affiliation....

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It's pretty hit and miss with all of them on eBay to be honest, I think it all depends on a good day in the buckle factory!
That's why I always test them first, I've had good ones in one batch and crap ones the next from the same supplier, and the suppliers don't always last long as I'm getting them straight from China, it's a little bit of effort but they cost next to nothing so it's worth it, and I have enough hanging around that I never need them in a hurry.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Surplus kit : it really depends on where its surplus from : I wouldnt touch US surplus where all the kit was made by the lowest bidder. The Colt version of the AR15/M16 vs, the Armalite one, well, no contest. The MOD went to Canada for Diemaco rifles when the Armalites finallly wore out.

Some countries actually issue decent kit, the old west German stuff was VERY good as army kit goes. The Dutch and Italian stuff I have seen recently has been good - theres an Italian bergen that I have my eye on also that has a great looking back support system. And yes, its really down to how its graded. The shop I linked to with that Dutch bag have a good rep for grading honestly. I bought stuff from a place in bristol and the gaiters were different colours and came from different factories with very different contract numbers.

Anyway, that Dutch bag is the price of the cheapest new one I have seen including P&P plus the shop have just had a shipment of real paracord which one can never have enough of.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Surprised no-one has mentioned the LK35 or LK50. Cheap as chips and the flavour of the month for bushcrafters. They're about 15 quid. They're external frame so it's easy to attach an axe or roll mat or other stuff to them, they have superb back ventilation, and I like external frame packs for SHTF because you have the option of completely removing the pack and using the frame to carry barrels or firewood etc. Many seem to favour buying ALICE shoulder straps and a waist band to attach to the LK frame to spread the load better.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======