New Bergens on a budget

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Plymtom

Re: New Bergens on a budget

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:Soooo....no one got any tips or advice on the budget buy bergen ? Do I go with something like this :

http://www.military1st.co.uk/bvbaggarvc ... v-cam.html

as a core and expand with molle pouches as I can afford them ? Or this :

http://www.military1st.co.uk/30253t-bw- ... -camo.html

and go the whole hog but not fill it, or this kind of thing :

http://www.military1st.co.uk/8008-70-br ... camel.html

with its more modern look and more access points (apparently) or stick with what I know :

http://www.ex-mod-textiles.com/shop/har ... 14266.html

...and molle a couple more bits on ?

Really my experience is limited to Vango, MOD, Berghaus, Karrimor (of course!) and Lowe Alpine. Most of which are out of my price bracket and more than I need. I know that "you get what you pay for" but its not going tabbing for miles with full kit, but I dont want it to split a seam if I sling it in the truck.

Anyone ?
That's a broad selection there, the only one I can see issue with is the German one I reckon it'll get tangled and snagged in and out of a truck, I've a copy of the Brandit one which feels more like bondage than portage, which brings me to the shoulder straps, I imagine something uncomfortable could turn a good day bad? plus the images selected hide that bit and whenever I have had a rucksack wear out too quickly, it's been where the straps meet the body of the bag.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm a bit stumped with this question to be honest, my various packs fall into two categories, ultralight and expensive, or military surplus, but with those I tend to go for bucket type old school canvas packs with one large compartment that won't give you the organisation that you want.

A medium Alice pack would sort pretty well I would think, very strong and pretty versatile, can be used with or without a frame and they have nice straps.
Trouble is that they're hard to come by here, easy enough to find in the USA but it's not worth the shipping, would cost more than the bag.
My local surplus shop did have one for about 35 quid in desert camo which isn't too popular, sold now though, I went back to buy it and it had gone.
Worth getting in touch with your local surplus shops to ask if they have any.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I have a 2PARA (shudder) mate who runs a surplus shop over wadebridge way but after the fuel cost its easier and cheaper to mail order. One thing I really want to know is if people have any experience with the brands or designs. Tom has it right, its the back contact area that is the vital bit of design and most of the pics tend to not show that. Which begs the question, why not ? Most like, as Tom (again) suggested, there is something to hide. Or lack of, if you get my drift.

Without anyone elses input on brands, Im liking the idea of the modern "suitcase" bags but I think the cheap ones may not have much in the way of support. The old NI patrol pack is cheap enough to buy but I would have to molle on a couple of extras. The german one sounds, sounds good but I dont get whether its real issue kit or copy. Or just crap.

Has anyone bought anything by Kombat, or Mil-com, or Mil-Tec ? Or Brandit ? This didnt used to be a problem as my ex-inlaws (outlaws?) in the US would buy the stuff out there and mail it over. I know the Eddie Bauer/Orvis/Lands End kit is all good quality and affordable so I would just send them money and so on.

But !! We have fallen out big style as my ex wife went loopy and got in with a druggy crowd so I wont have anything to do with her. The inlaws of course blame yours truly though we have been split up for 25 plus years...not that any of you want to know that. :oops: :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:I have a 2PARA (shudder) mate who runs a surplus shop over wadebridge way but after the fuel cost its easier and cheaper to mail order. One thing I really want to know is if people have any experience with the brands or designs. Tom has it right, its the back contact area that is the vital bit of design and most of the pics tend to not show that. Which begs the question, why not ? Most like, as Tom (again) suggested, there is something to hide. Or lack of, if you get my drift.

Without anyone elses input on brands, Im liking the idea of the modern "suitcase" bags but I think the cheap ones may not have much in the way of support. The old NI patrol pack is cheap enough to buy but I would have to molle on a couple of extras. The german one sounds, sounds good but I dont get whether its real issue kit or copy. Or just crap.

Has anyone bought anything by Kombat, or Mil-com, or Mil-Tec ? Or Brandit ? This didnt used to be a problem as my ex-inlaws (outlaws?) in the US would buy the stuff out there and mail it over. I know the Eddie Bauer/Orvis/Lands End kit is all good quality and affordable so I would just send them money and so on.

But !! We have fallen out big style as my ex wife went loopy and got in with a druggy crowd so I wont have anything to do with her. The inlaws of course blame yours truly though we have been split up for 25 plus years...not that any of you want to know that. :oops: :cry:
It could be that a lot of these bags are bought for the 'look' rather than comfort so showing how tactical they look is more of a selling point. Not having a pop (I know it sounds like it) but there are loads of bags out there, and while maybe not much use to you Shocker trying them on is the acid test. In fairness from what you've said you'll not exactly be yomping up Ben Nevis and its more for shorter distances so the comfort side might not be as big an issue as carrying it all day, even the more uncomfy bags should be good for shorter distances. I've got a couple of bags that don't really do it for me, one is just too small for me unless I carry it over one shoulder and another one that seemed to fit but needs to be packed right and I've bought others so sits lonely in the garage.
shocker

Post by shocker »

To clarify, Im not interested in looking "warry", Ive long since got my time in and tabbed my miles. I simply used examples of styles that I found on google searches, an since most of the suitcase style bags are available in black or camo I used the pictures with the most contrast and detail. They happened to be in walter mitty warry camo/lawrence of arabia sand colours. Personally Im not bothered about colours- Ive have an old Karrimor molle-on side pouch that is pink, yellow and grey. With purple edging detail...I am secure in my sexuality, dearies ;)

Its a shame I cant get an opinion on the modern suitcase layout, it looks like theres good compartment seperation and access. Id like to know what those brands are like too. Trouble is, no public transport, no parking or pavements for wheelchair locally, thirsty V8 to travel anywhere to try on some bags. Bugger. :cry:

Thanks for your input guys. The search goes on...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:To clarify, Im not interested in looking "warry", Ive long since got my time in and tabbed my miles. I simply used examples of styles that I found on google searches, an since most of the suitcase style bags are available in black or camo I used the pictures with the most contrast and detail. They happened to be in walter mitty warry camo/lawrence of arabia sand colours. Personally Im not bothered about colours- Ive have an old Karrimor molle-on side pouch that is pink, yellow and grey. With purple edging detail...I am secure in my sexuality, dearies ;)

Its a shame I cant get an opinion on the modern suitcase layout, it looks like theres good compartment seperation and access. Id like to know what those brands are like too. Trouble is, no public transport, no parking or pavements for wheelchair locally, thirsty V8 to travel anywhere to try on some bags. Bugger. :cry:

Thanks for your input guys. The search goes on...
That sounds pretty lurid, the bag I mean and not your sexuality. :lol:
shocker

Post by shocker »

To quote the late Dick Emery, " You are awful...but I like you !" :D :D ;)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm new to the suitcase layout, I have an old 100 litre Argos special internal frame, two side pockets, one on the lid and a bottom extension which I take is for a sleeping bag, tent poles also slide right down in a pouch behind the sleeping bag bit, it's a monster, but I couldn't manage it very far at all, We have Lidl/Aldi specials in various sizes bought as the kids were growing again similar design, and those couple of Mollie ones which are sort of suitcase or half suitcase opening, I've watched countless youtube videos on rucksacks before going down the same road as my son with the Rush ( which should be arriving this week) I've also got a selection of dry bags to go with to take a modular approach as it's a catch all bag ( though I'll probably use a 40 or 65 litre Lidl/Aldi one still for foot shopping, town is so close to home that taking the car is a ridiculous waste of money) which will probably go everywhere other than shopping with me, I really like the idea of a suitcase layout, plus side, and front pouches, mollie too providing it stays there when attached seems a great idea, but I'm afraid I haven't given it a fair test.

I want comfort because I'm getting to old to put up with the extra pain carrying something unsuitable.

I want to be able to organize because I can only afford one decent one it's got to be like Thunderbird 2.

You may want to consider that in an ideal position you too need the comfort and the organization ( I'm thinking that something like the rush series as there are other manufacturers, even those you have given as examples who do cater for internal pockets) if when confined to your wheelchair opening your pack across your lap an being able to get at what you need without dropping other stuff on the floor is going to be a priceless advantage.

If you do the dreaded Facebook these guys in town https://www.facebook.com/plymouthguns/p ... =3&theater have a selection of bags and do mail order, and free coffee :) It's a bit of a social center for shooters from clubs close to Plymouth (including some of your lot).
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Tom to the rescue again, as usual...thats the kind of thing I was wanting to hear about. Yes, stability and comfort are big issues and Im spoilt by having very good kit in the past as I earned well enough to buy the best. Now ? Im adrift in a sea of new names and styles. Thanks mate.

Anyone else ? Come on, most of you must have a bergen or backpack of sorts ! ;)
shocker

Post by shocker »