Sharing my BOB/Hiking Bag

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
ChefSimon

Sharing my BOB/Hiking Bag

Post by ChefSimon »

My Bug Out Bag

Hi Everyone, thought I would share my BOB which I also use when I go camping & Hiking. This is quite a list going on here. Hopefully it will get a conversation going about pro’s con’s etc. When I go hiking I normally plan a two day hike. The better half goes to a spa weekend and I go for a bimble. She has a copy of my route and time markers so knows where to look if I don’t get back on time etc.

Background about me:
Coming from a military background If I were to bug-out I would operate a wet/Dry routine which would reduce the need for excessive clothing to be carried. (1 set of clothes during the day, 1 set at night in the sleeping bag) This load out is to enable me an initial 72 hours to re-locate and decide on my next move. Although with careful and sensible rationing of food I can stretch this out to last me 10 days. With hunting/foraging for food I can extend this kit out to several months if needed.

Notes:
1; I drink black tea (hence no milk powder in the rations)
2; I’m trained in advanced first aid which explains some of the things in the IFAK
3; Rather than a heavy sleeping bag it works out smaller and lighter to carry a light weight sleeping bag and a softie jacket & trousers. This also allows more options during bad weather.
4; I have a tent, hammock & Basha as they are all small and use very little space. This again gives me options depending on my location/weather/covertness. Quick break in wet weather it’s the basha.
5; I never leave home without my kindle and mobile phone. The solar Charger and battery pack will allow me to continue to use these.
6; Depending on the reasoning for leaving the home if time allows then some of the kit in this would be put about my person as it also forms a part of my EDC. For example I have 2 Gerber multitools. 1 in bug BOB the other lives on my belt. If time allowed me then I would remove the one in the BOB before leaving. But in a rush I can grab it and run knowing I’ve everything other than cash in the bag, however if I had to grab and run with this cash is the least of the worries.
7; My dry routine kit is also camouflaged kit. So in a countryside OTG situation I can swap my routine around and use my civi kit at night.

All this fits into my 5.11 All Hazards Prime Rucksack/Bergan (65l) with the basha in a pouch fitted to the outside (70l total). The bag is a dark Grey & Black so can be used in urban areas without drawing too much suspicion. The bag has attachments on the outside to connect another bag (smaller 5.11 Sling Bag) If it’s a more organised bug-out. This takes the capacity up to 120l.

The main bag also has molle attachments on the outside enableing pouches and kit to be hung. Using the carabiners noted below it allows me to have the solar charger open and charging the battery pack during the day, it also allows for wet kit to be hung onto the bag to dry as I move if the situation allows.

The inside of the main front pouch is a day-glo emergency orange. This can be used if the contents are stripped out to signal in an emergency situation. All of the interior of the bag has molle loops (some elasticated) to allow kit to be secured for east access and location in all situations. The bag also contains a quick stuff pocket for jackets etc.

Contents:
Inflatable Compact Roll Matt & Compact Sleeping bag (snugpak light weight)
Hammock & Suspension kit
Basha Sheet (with knotted paracord stored in an external molle pouch)
Fire Kit
Mess tin (with an old army tin opener thrown in)
Sawyer Mini Water Filter & 3l of carry pouches
Monocle
Black Nasty (50m)
Solar light built into an inflatable pillow for spread light (like a lantern but smaller than a fag packet when rolled up)
72 hours rations
1l Military thermal Flask (Tea is the answer to all life’s problems)
IFAK
Basic Medications
Gerber Axe (12”)
Gerber LMF2 Knife
Gerber Suspension multitool
50m Para Cord (3mm)
2x 50kn Climbing carabiner & 4x smaller non-weight baring carabiners
wet weather kit (Jacket & Trousers)
3x Spare socks
2 pairs 3 month antibacterial boxers (army issue)
1x spare t-shirt
3l hydration bladder
Foot powder
Softie Jacket & Trousers
3x Red Cylume
3x Green Cylume
Dry stuff sacks 1x med, 1x Lg, 1x sml (used in the main BOB to store other items in)
Battery pack 32000mAh
20w Solar Charger (and spare leads for my devices)
Note Pad, Pen & Pencil (all weather)
Folding shovel
Folding rest pad (doubles as a pillow/seat/knee pad)
Silva Military Compass
OS Map of my local area (the laminated version) and chinagraph pencil.
Warm Kit (buffalo top, trousers, t-shirt for use in the tent)
Multi use mini torch (IR/UV/RGB LED)
Head Torch with Red Filter
High Power compact torch 3200lm
1 Man compact tent (smaller than a tent but bigger than a basha)
Self Made survival kit
Firefly Kit markers
Personal Admin Kit
2x sets spare batteries for each torch
Spare beanie hat & gloves (gloves are multipurpose military gloves)
Shemagh

IFAK Breakdown:
Tourniquet
Selection of Plasters
First Field Dressing
Small, Med & Lg bandages
Surgical Tape
Chest Seal
Surgical Wipes
Surgical gloves
Saline
Sterile syringe kit (for cleaning wounds)
EMT Shears
9-line Mist card (with my details on)
Sharpie pen
Burn Gel
Cellox gauze
Steri Strips
2x Scalpel blades
Foil Blanket

Basic Medication Breakdown:
Paracetamol x16
Ibuprofen x16
Imodium x12
Antihistamines x24
Co-codamol x16
Rehydration powder 1pkt
Multivitamin with minerals x16
Tiger Balm 20g pot

72 Hour Ration Breakdown:
3x Main meals (self heating)
3x Breakfasts (self heating)
3x cake style bars (almost a dessert)
12x teabags
3x high energy sweet packets
3x packets tissues
3x packet mixed nuts & fruit
3x Biscuits (not biscuits brown for the army amongst us)
9x Beverage powders (isotonic)
3x Energy bars (eg oats)
6x Antibac wipes
1x Bag Haribo for morale!
3x Electrolyte syrups (taste vial but do the trick)
18x Water purification tablets (in addition to the filter)

Survival Kit Breakdown:
Gerber Miniature 8 item Multi-tool (as a back up to my main)
Tweezers
Waterproof Bag
Miniature Light (single led run off a watch battery)
Hand Saw
Signalling Mirror
Survival Blanket
Fire Starter
Waterproof matches
Cotton Ball - Fire Tinder
Snare Wire
Emergency Cord
Waxed Thread
Fishing Kit
Sewing kit
Lanyard
Whistle
Button Compass
The idea of this little bag is it travels in my pocket when I’ve bugged out.

Personal Admin Kit Breakdown:
Wet wipes
Toothbrush (with shortened handle)
Toothpaste (travel size)
Nail Clippers
Travel deodorant (just in case I need to be about people after a couple of days!)
Boot wax & brushes (got to look after your boots, brush is a standard one cut in half)

Fire Kit Breakdown:
Kapok Fibre
Cotton Wool
Wind/Waterproof matches
Fire Steel
Fire Cord (6ft)
Magnesium Powder
Treated Pine Tinder
Potassium Permanganate powder
Lighter

Firefly Kit markers:
For people who have not heard of these, they are on key rings attached to VIP kit for easy ID in the dark & basha location in the dark. These give off a dull red dot of just a couple of mm using rare earth minerals. The whole marker is less than 1cm in length and 0.5cm in width. You almost have to be looking for the light to see it. Handy bit of kit when I was in the military trying to find my basha after stag in the harbour area!

Total Weight:
Total weight of the bag fully loaded including 4L of water (3l hydration bladder full and 2x 500ml bags from the sawyer filter with water in) is 12.7kg The vast majority of the weight being the water and food. The total weight is less than I used to carry and I am able to carry this with ease for 12+ hours.

Weight will decrease over the day through consumption. Any non- reusable items of food/wrappers etc will be buried of disposed of in suitable locations throughout the journey.

Sling bag will normally contain if ever used:
Sterile FAK
Dental FAK
Additional items FAK
Jet Boil and gas canister
Additional rations (24 hours self heating)
50m Gaffa Tap
50m 3mm Para Cord
Additional Carabiners
Additional batteries for torches
Additional Torch
Additional Socks and Antibacterial boxer shorts
Additional t-shirt & trousers (in dry stuff sacks)
Military issue water bottle and cup.
Additional 3l Water bladder and space for expansion to carry the water*

*People often pack out their kit bags but don’t allow room for the water once it is in the bladder.

I stated normally contain as this is packed from my remaining kit depending on the needs and situation.

In addition to all of this I also have covert (soft) level 3a ballistic and stab armour to allow me body mass and internal organ protection against knife/gun threats.

If you would like pictures of the kit etc please just leave a comment and I will sort a couple out for you.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
BlinkingCory

Re: Sharing my BOB/Hiking Bag

Post by BlinkingCory »

From experience of multi-night camping and hiking....
double that much tissue. multi use.
bottles of hand sanitizer. multi use
couple of poundland type tea towels. multi use.
tin foil, lots of it, off the roll and folded flat. multi use.
cram any spare inch with bin liner/s. multi use.
salt/pepper/spice, rat packs need it.
something to wee in when in shelter/tent.
IMHO a fire kit should have a bomb proof man made combustible. A monkey could start a fire with a fire steel and a fire dragon gel block. I can!

Nice kit you have mate
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Looks really well thought out. I really like it. Not much fluff either although I'm not sure about the carabiners?

I assume the hand saw is something as big as a laplander?

Does your tablet contain all the pdfs you'll need for foraging etc?

Radio? Catapult? Bolt cutters?

I'd be tempted to include some very long nails and a katanaboy 650 if I was truly not coming home and expecting populated areas to be no-go, so I could do some serious wood processing.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thanks for posting mate, personally what I take away hill walking is different from what I would take away in a BOB if I had one. Even hill walking I take more than I need, I tend to have the heaviest bag but I see the two as 2 separate equipment sets. Admittedly they overlap to an extent but for me anyway, they're not the same thing.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Deeps: My preps are actually quite limited. Although I've a few bits going on I am limited in both space and scope. My wife supports a little but not too much. Everything I have also has a non-prep use as well as a prep use. So my Hiking kit is also my BOB. I believe that if I were to bug out it would be on foot via good hike.

Sethorly: The hand saw is one of the small wire style ones with a nylon grip on the end. More of a SHTF I've lost my knife/Axe. The Carabiners are for attaching the solar charger to my bag, Attaching under the poncho to allow stuff to dry etc. The two 50kn ones are my old issue ones from the Army which have proven useful on occasion with fitting the hammock.

When you say radio can I ask do you mean for comms or music? - Not thought about that if it's for comms. music I have my phone. And to your final question, Yes I have various PDF's on my phone/Kindle for foraging etc. Oh and yeah I would love a Katanaboy 650! But I think my wife would use it to make a eunuch out of me...

Blinking Cory: Thanks, appreciate the info. I've always got 'condiments' in my rations as a basic. Like you've said salt has many other uses. Love the other thoughts, especially the tin foil you are right so many uses. For the size/weight I can add them in with little fuss. I've always got hand gel in my jacket.

As for the fire; yeah I'm very well versed in fire starting. Just like to have redundancy and the means to get it going even in the worst case. for the sake of a couple of 5g vials and a mini altoids tin. (I did do a post on my fire kit)

On a side note I have considered in the past taking the softie top out and just keep the Buffalo thermal top as it's compact and also waterproof/thermal etc. Whilst it's only a couple of grams weight it will save a good amount of space as they are both really for dry kit and cold weather.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Good lists and tips, I love em :)
I had a shock the other day, I went into town to do a few errands and pick up my daughter some Lucozade fridge packs, I took one of my rucksacks 65 litre I think, So it turns out 12 500ml bottles of the stuff and about 4 kilos of frozen food was manageable but I was so glad to get the damn thing off and it's a relatively short walk, it may be time to consider getting a granny trolley again :lol:

I think I'd have to consider something with wheel (s) too, like this http://themule.com/
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ChefSimon wrote:Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Deeps: My preps are actually quite limited. Although I've a few bits going on I am limited in both space and scope. My wife supports a little but not too much. Everything I have also has a non-prep use as well as a prep use. So my Hiking kit is also my BOB. I believe that if I were to bug out it would be on foot via good hike.
I wasn't having a go mate, just that if I was walking up hills for 3 days I'd be looking to lighten the load as much as possible, I wouldn't be taking things like the solar panel and big rolls of Harry black maskers for example (I do carry a couple of metres in my wallet though). For bugging out I completely get why you would want to carry more gear, there's a level of maybe never going home so giving yourself the potential capability to last past the 3 days. Whatever works for you though mate and if you're comfortable with it then that's all that really matters.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I've been thinking about things I have in my Bergen which I find invaluable.

If I go camping, rather than hiking/camping, I use one of these 5L water bags. I haven't measured its actual capacity, it's probably closer to 4L than 5L, but it's a cracking bit of kit. I use it because I like to make camp, fill this then know I am sorted for water for 24hrs. For those without a water bladder, or for anyone wanting an additional water bag, this is spot on. Don't be deceived by the cheap price, it's very good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

My frying pan is a victoria sponge cake baking tray from poundland. If it had carp fisherman embossed on the side it would sell for £10. I use it alongside a generic camping pan handle.
This also doubles up as my plate.

Baking Soda. I use a sprinkling in water for cleaning cooking gear and turn it into a thin paste to clean me if for example my hands are mega manky, or a bit of kit needs a scrubbing.

Pedal bin liners/snare wire/4 clothes pegs
After once accidentally crapping (oh how my mate laughed) into my own downed trollies, I now have a convoluted way of taking care of business :)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Chef, that sounds a lot like what I used to carry! These days its more about what I can hang off me wheelchair... or fit in the Rangie

but lots there that had slipped my damaged memory and a few new things so thanks for sharing mate ! Waho mohomed !
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Chef, that sounds a lot like what I used to carry! These days its more about what I can hang off me wheelchair... or fit in the Rangie

but lots there that had slipped my damaged memory and a few new things so thanks for sharing mate ! Waho mohomed !
Thanks for resurrecting the thread mate, its prompted me to get a couple of the 5L water carriers Blinking Cory mentioned.