My GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
jansman

Re: My GHB

Post by jansman »

Did a double post with the first two pics. Crap with technology me! Also, for the right of the SAK read ‘ above’ the SAK!

So the contents of the tobacco tin are: mini multi tool, LED mini torch, mini whistle, alcohol wipes and plasters. Mini fishing kit , ( the braided line has many uses), cigarette lighter, signal mirror ( doubles as a mirror), ultra thin fresnel magnifying lens( mainly as a substitute for reading glasses if I lose them!) magnesium flint rod thing,mini compass , safety pins and dental floss. That stuff is very strong cordage. The black/ brown item above the SAK is a knock off of the Doug Ritter mini survival knife with leather sheath. Sharp as hell. All tightly packed.

Below that is paracord, chemlight, drier lint for tinder,proper magnesium block fire steel, lifeboat matches,flat whistle, mini FM radio and earpiece, tea light, spare lithium batteries for head torch.

The bottom pic left to right , top to bottom.

Bandana, space blanket, two heavy bin bags, Sawyer water filter and attachments, puritabs, head torch, emergency trauma dressing, paracord, small and basic first aid kit, with painkillers and caffeine tablets. And the Trangia mess tin. All contained in this bag, which can be worn on the shoulder or as a waist pack.
A825BD31-5C61-47D1-B051-17F4FAD2705C.jpeg
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

8791DCC1-017B-45BA-8C91-7ED311E81829.jpeg
That bag! Aah well, it’s the first time I have tried doing this, and we were interrupted by Severn Trent Water. It’s been turned off ‘cos of a leak.

Anyhow, in a laboured way, I have shown you my set up! If anyone is interested :lol: :lol: :lol: and has any questions, please ask.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That's one thing I need to refresh my car has the kit but it's not together for a yomp home ...

Got a rucksack (be it my work one) or day out one both contain fak (was glad of the compeeds on Dartmoor 3 days back )

Take yesterday beach day was a tad cool kids had their coats I did/nt. Ammo tin in boot has a tog 24 down pack lite type jacket ... The wife was not impressed as I set off back to the car asking if she wanted a jacket .. NO! the utter gutted look as I didn't reappear in a class 3 motorway spec high vis coat. And she wouldn't buckle into wanting it . :lol: (that said there are 2x genuine gore Tex ones under the front seats :lol: ) she didn't say no when we broke down a few years back on the chevrons on a motorway roundabout... Even the HATO lot just drove past with a "have you got help coming?" YES!

Car kit is a bloody hard one as there is so many eventualities to consider.. I'm looking to ditch the trolley jack but I'm not sure what to replace it with ... The supplied suicide jack is in landfill.. and the sills won't take a farm jack
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Really impressive, jansman - I like all the "mini" this that and t'other. I don't currently go more than 30 minutes slow walking from home, but I'm really going to have to upgrade my GHB when I do ... and caffeine tablets are a really good idea, by the way.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm Really impressive, jansman - I like all the "mini" this that and t'other. I don't currently go more than 30 minutes slow walking from home, but I'm really going to have to upgrade my GHB when I do ... and caffeine tablets are a really good idea, by the way.
I am like you Arzosah,my outer limit is a 14 mile drive.It rarely changes.
The kit is ,literally,for a yomp home in extreme circumstances.It is also fairly ' inert' from a legal point of view.That's why there is a Swiss Army knife,rather than a machete! It is all about preserving hydration and core body temperature.I am not planning a camping trip.

I have adapted the kit ( as mentioned more than once) from the kit carried by Cody Lundin,detailed in his book 98.6 Degrees,The Art Of Keeping Your Ass Alive. Up until reading that,I used to pack the proverbial kitchen sink! :lol: and joking aside,my back isn't up to hoofing a great big backpack. Frankly,that yomp home ( apart from enforced evacuation), is the Worst Case Scenario in my personal risk assessment.

In the event of a walk home,I would be wearing seasonally appropriate clothing anyway.If I am honest,with that clothing,a bottle or two of water and the contents of my pockets,I could be home in 4 to 5 hours.The kit allows for a possible overnighter,but I can tell you it would be no more than that!

That's just my personal take on that situation.Other methods of preparedness are available. :tinfoil :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My work commute is about 10 miles

I've got the hoof it option as a last resort

2 miles from work there's a family of farmers who I'm friends with in a real shtf I'm sure I could borrow / get a tractor ride or one of the numerous farm 4x4's

From there 4/5 miles from home I know theres a house that's empty (but still in the family) and with a bit of savvy I could be in there warm and dry with no problems if I had to pop a window (I sorted the house insurance out last month for it as the family member lives over seas and to be fair the neighbour who watches it knows me so I'd probably get offered a bed and food there if needs must.)

From there a 3 ISH miles would put me at the parents then last mile or so home

Only issue is a river crossing 2 bridges but only one has a foot way
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I worked away from home during the week for a few years, mostly about a 100 mile drive or a couple of hours door to door on the train. I had a fairly comprehensive GHB in the office but if there was ever a need to get hold on foot that would be challenging to pack for.

I ended up burying a couple of boxes of food/water/hand warmers just off the road by a couple of lay-bys. Would break the journey into 3 more manageable chunks, but luckily never needed.