My GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
jansman

Re: My GHB

Post by jansman »

So,I have finally nailed the GHB.Its all contained in a canvas shoulder bag that slips under the drivers seat of my car.I need compact,as ( for me) anything more is unwieldy.I could do photos,but the camera is poor. What's in it,then?
1x PROPER reusable space blanket with grommets.Orange one side,silver the other.
2x mylar space blankets.
1x green plastic survival bivvi bag
1x heavy duty wheelie bin liner.
1x camouflage poncho with grommets
Paracord
Sawyer mini water filter and puritabs
Bandana
Anker phone charger and cables
Hunter Swiss Army Knife
Mini FM radio
LED Lenser torch
LED red flashing bicycle light
AAA batteries ( all kit takes the same)
First aid kit,including painkillers and caffeine tablets
Workgloves and lycra hat
500ml water
Metal mug
Large army mess tin containing:
Dragonfire stove and fuel
Monocular
Lighter
Old Style Survival Tin ( with ALL the bits you think I have missed)
Scottish shortbread and two breakfast bars
Teabags.
8.35 lb in weight.

Along with that is my foul weather gear that is always in the car,more water,nylon rucksack I use for shopping,hiking pole,a more extensive first aid kit,extra food and a spare white shirt and tie!!!I wear cargo trousers and workboots at all times,and have a standard EDC.

My main risk scenario is having to yomp home. This kit will cover an overnighter.When there is a snow threat I will chuck in the folding shovel,heavy blanket and some more grub.I work in Derbyshire,which is prone to snow,when its about.

The hotel bag is next...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

No sleeping bag?

Might be a luxury but the little 2 season aldi down bag plus the thermal liner I got this liner for £5 the other week :mrgreen: (off back Saturday for more now I've seen the price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-The ... 57&sr=8-11

Should make for a reasonable nights kip especially if it's cool

I've got a sol emergency bivvie (, swapped out a traditional orange survival bag,) for weight / warmth and the theory they suffer less condensation
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I1l2UPmHkus
https://rockrun.com/products/sol-emergency-bivvy

I've been toying with a short kip mat as there's nothing worse than the cold coming up through the ground into your back
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

No sleeping bag.Too bulky.Thats what the space blanket and bivvy bag are for.Down the years I have kipped in motors on fishing trips using my waxed jacket as a blanket.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 pm No sleeping bag?

Might be a luxury but the little 2 season aldi down bag plus the thermal liner I got this liner for £5 the other week :mrgreen: (off back Saturday for more now I've seen the price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-The ... 57&sr=8-11

Should make for a reasonable nights kip especially if it's cool

I've got a sol emergency bivvie (, swapped out a traditional orange survival bag,) for weight / warmth and the theory they suffer less condensation
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I1l2UPmHkus
https://rockrun.com/products/sol-emergency-bivvy

I've been toying with a short kip mat as there's nothing worse than the cold coming up through the ground into your back
I use a car windscreen ice protector as a reflective under cover when out, it helps with the cold and also protects my air mat but even if you're not using one it helps with the temperature loss. You can pick them up cheap from B&M etc.

Nice one Jansman, you've covered all the basics anyway and if it works for you, that's all that matters.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Another option for a temporary shelter is the BIG rucksack covers. I've got something like this for my 110L bergen and its big enough to crawl into if you need to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rucksack-Rai ... 2749.l2649
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am Another option for a temporary shelter is the BIG rucksack covers. I've got something like this for my 110L bergen and its big enough to crawl into if you need to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rucksack-Rai ... 2749.l2649
And don't forget the Bergen itself, feet in and pull as high as possible, another layer to trap warmth.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

That’s what it’s all about - improvisation. In my case, everything is multi-use where possible. As some of you know, I am a big fan of the American survival instructor, Cody Lundin. His idea of a survival kit is “, compact, lightweight and multi-purpose,” When I first read his book, his kit list was a revelation, as the load-outs I read of on the web could only be carried by a 19 year old paratrooper! :lol:For me, my scenario involves me getting home in a ‘disruption’, likely as not on foot. It has to be fast too, as I am not going camping. It’s one reason for having caffeine tablets in there. My kit would also double up with a hotel bag in an enforced evacuation ( gas leak for example) as it contains stuff like batteries, power bank, fm radio etc. Anyhow, like Deeps says, it’s what works for you.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh I agree my GH kit is in a ammo tin in the boot.. I have a rucksack for work...

I can load it up and cherry pick what I'm taking. shtf at 9am I won't bother with the bed kit but 5pm on a crappy winter night I could bed down at work for example and next morning do a better assessment in daylight of my next move be it home or a 2 mile wander to my mates farm and lend transport to get home be it a big 4x4 or a tractor / quad / telehandler :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:19 pm

And don't forget the Bergen itself, feet in and pull as high as possible, another layer to trap warmth.
That would be a big ol' GHB though mate, not that I disagree with you though. I've got a cheap and compact bivvy bag in my set up, not that I'd use it in the the warmer months unless it was raining as its not very breathable. Your ROE is different for a short term scenario like getting home, you can go balls out knowing (or hoping) there's a finishing line.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As I said I would, a few pics. I am always striving to reduce bulk and weight. As Cody Lundin the American survival teacher points out, a kit that is not compact and lightweight will be likely to be left at home. My car kit is stowed tidily now, and you wouldn’t know it was there.

Now I have nailed my portable get home bag. Bare bones, get home fast. 4lb weight with the bag. With half a litre of water five and a half pounds. The pictures are not fantastic, and not shown are the two energy bars, hand sanitiser and two Covid face coverings.
571BC40E-F998-45BB-AE3D-FD69B61BEA3A.jpeg
I’ll run through the pictures in the next post.

All the items to the right of the Swiss Army knife pack down into a tobacco tin for compactness. That in turn fits into the Trangia mess tin. To the left, they pack into the mess tin too.
30CE3D3B-BF8E-4998-AE3C-F4FC5D7DF51F.jpeg
Attachments
E9F4D9AA-7EDD-4D71-A57B-803F28963F41.jpeg

Robert Frost.

Me.