My GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
dazthechippy

Re: My GHB

Post by dazthechippy »

just swapped out my camo army daysack for a civvy lowe alpine number - its higher volume but struggling to get everything in, layout design is a bit different, army is short, squat & wide, civvy one is narrow and taller, side pockets are thinner

im not a rucksack conniseur but when comparing I'd say the army ones seem more robust, less things to go wrong, lots of tabs for lashing things to on the outside and probably more practical, squaddie proof I'd say...

why did I do this ? - i reckon camo screams prepper or someone who might be worth a closer look at vs. civillian which looks like an ordinary punter trying to get wherever he's going with stuff he had lying around, probably still a target anyway but i'm more comfortable with the hiding in plain sight approach..

if nothing else it forces me to really think about what I'm packing, do i really need the 40 tog quilt, coffee press and carpet slippers?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Try something like this mate, its what I use and as its black it doesn't draw as much attention.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/black-mod ... repairing/

jansman

Post by jansman »

dazthechippy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 am just swapped out my camo army daysack for a civvy lowe alpine number - its higher volume but struggling to get everything in, layout design is a bit different, army is short, squat & wide, civvy one is narrow and taller, side pockets are thinner

im not a rucksack conniseur but when comparing I'd say the army ones seem more robust, less things to go wrong, lots of tabs for lashing things to on the outside and probably more practical, squaddie proof I'd say...

why did I do this ? - i reckon camo screams prepper or someone who might be worth a closer look at vs. civillian which looks like an ordinary punter trying to get wherever he's going with stuff he had lying around, probably still a target anyway but i'm more comfortable with the hiding in plain sight approach..

if nothing else it forces me to really think about what I'm packing, do i really need the 40 tog quilt, coffee press and carpet slippers?
Paradoxically,the smallest pack I had was a camo,lightweight nylon job amongst my fishing kit! There were several reasons for losing gear and weight.One: I hate clutter.Two: I have ongoing back problems. Three:My worst case scenario is a twelve and a half yomp home through town.If that was a dangerous option,then it is fifteen miles across country.

I always dress according to the weather.I always have a set of clothing in the boot,mainly for if I take a dip when fishing; it happens! :lol: I always have a set of waterproofs there too.

So,in the bag are 2x1 litre aluminium waterbottles,full.A sawyer mini filter and puritabs.Large reusable space blanket with brass grommets.This is a proper one,silver one side,orange the other.2x mylar blankets.1x camo poncho,with grommets.This will keep rain off,but will also make a low key bivvy,should I need shelter.Paracord.1x green,plastic survival bag.Lifeboat ration and 3xsnickers bars. 1x Shemagh- such a multiuse item.1xLycra hat,1x woolly hat.Mini FM radio and batteries.Lenser torch and batteries. Windproof matches in safe.Disposable lighter.Leatherman Wingman.Compass and map.Wrapped up is a roach belly knife.Very light,sharp and useful.There is a survival tin in there to slip in my cargo pocket that contains the usual stuff.

I have to add my Anker battery pack and hiking pole,and if possible I would bang more grub and water in before leaving work.The core weight though is sub 10lb.It is designed to get home fast,with a possible stopover depending upon weather,environment,or fatigue.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Forgot to add: There is a small first aid kit in there too.Just plasters,small bandage,etc.Vaseline too.We used to use this when going on exercises as bootnecks.It can prevent a lot of chafing! :( Also,Pro Plus caffiene tablets,as there is no brew kit in my bag.I may alter that situation though,just in case of an overnight stop in the cold.Soon knock one together out of a food tin,disposable cups and barbecue firelighters.I could use a mess tin and hexi stove,but this gear is all pretty much disposable.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm Forgot to add: There is a small first aid kit in there too.Just plasters,small bandage,etc.Vaseline too.We used to use this when going on exercises as bootnecks.It can prevent a lot of chafing! :( Also,Pro Plus caffiene tablets,as there is no brew kit in my bag.I may alter that situation though,just in case of an overnight stop in the cold.Soon knock one together out of a food tin,disposable cups and barbecue firelighters.I could use a mess tin and hexi stove,but this gear is all pretty much disposable.
I keep a hexi with both 'proper' tabs and homemade ones in a plastic clip box to keep the smell in. It doesn't take up much room or weight. Have swithered about switching to a cheap meths setup but I can carry a lot of fuel for the hexi.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have one of the dragonfire hexi stoves.The dedicated fuel is expensive,but doesnt smell.I am a tightfist,so I have hexi fuel.It does stink though!I might compromise there though,and use the stove and fuel,and use a can as a pot.Mind you,I had a root through some kit and found a Trangia mess tin with lid and integral handle.Could pack the lot in it and I suspect the weight will still not exceed 10lb.Its gathering dust anyway.Aside from changing date expired kit,this won't see daylight unless shtf.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I keep a Yugoslav mess kit in too, all in, its not much bigger than the 1L water bottle.

to this

You can use the pouch as a millbank bag apparently but I've not tried it.

I've also got a 0.75L stainless steel bottle that's more 'ready use'. Thinking of changing to a 1L purely (pun intended) because the puritabs are designed for 1L bottles. Like stainless steel though, if need be you can put it on a fire. The mess kit water bottle is a litre although at the bottom of the pack... what is a boy to do. :lol:

Edit to add, pictures not to scale. :P
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have looked at that kit Deeps. Useful stuff. However, my aim is absolute simplicity. The

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 pm I have looked at that kit Deeps. Useful stuff. However, my aim is absolute simplicity. The
Aye, as said, its whatever works for YOU. I'm a bugger for filling a bag though, if I've got space I tend to try and put something else in 'just in case'. Not saying that's right and the mate I mostly go away with has said he doesn't mind if he forgets something because he know's I'll probably have it. :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

That Yugoslav kit was well thought through, for sure.

Robert Frost.

Me.