My GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
jansman

My GHB

Post by jansman »

As you can see below,In don't subscribe to the BOB.We will find a hotel if we leave here!I carry some emergency gear in the car, but never a specific GHB.Why the change of mind? Well right now,and for the last month I have been travelling a few times a week 2 hours and back up the M1.My Mother's husband is terminally ill and doesn't have long.

I got held up the other day for an hour or so because of a collision.Time to gear up!Another reason is that I remember the chapter in Scarrow' s 'Last Light' where the motorways were shut,and folks were having to walk home.The things that run through your mind on boring drives!

So what's in the bag? Well,I make no apology for the fact I am a fan of Cody Lundin and his simplicity when It comes equipment.

The bag is a small day pack 15 litre I think.Had it years,and the beauty of it is that it unzips right out and opens up so you can see everything.One compartment, end of.

Heavy duty reusable 6x4' space blanket with grommets.orange one side ,silver the other.

Shemagh
3x mylar blankets
3xheavy duty bin bags,black.
2x wide mouth 1litre nalgene bottles.One has water in,the other has a sawyer filter in it and purifying tablets.
First aid kit.Usual stuff,along with painkillers and caffeine tablets - just in case you NEED to stay awake
Woolly hat and gloves
Cammo poncho. Heavy duty.
Metal cup
Trangia mess tin with lid and handle.Inside is a BCB fire dragon hexi stove and fuel.sealed.Also lighter and flint striker,and teabags,Bovril and hot chocolate sachets.
Mylar tube tent
Seven Ocean lifeboat ration
Knock off Maxpedition EDC pouch contains match safe,lighter,magnesium flint,lighter and everlasting flint match ( good bit of kit 99p off e bay) disposable orange poncho,1 bin bag,1mylar blanket,button compass,gorilla tape,LED lenser torch,mini FM radio and earphones.Spare batteries for both in a proper battery holder.Leather man Wingman and SAK Hunter.Tactical pen.Paper.Dental floss and hank of seine twine.Whistle.

A nice compact package.

In the bottom of the bag is a Mora clipper and pruning saw.All wrapped in black plastic and taped up in case the law stops me!A Ray Mears Bushcraft book sits with the bag," That's my hobby officer".

50' of paracord
My old Navy issue lensatic compass and a map
LED head torch and spare lithium batteries.

I also carry spare clothes any way for fishing and spare boots.Also a 2 litre canteen of water,and a green tarp that I use for lining the back of the car for keeping it clean.

The bag weighs only 12 1/2 lbs and all that gears fits neatly under the secrecy shelf in the boot.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: My GHB

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Try the milar blankets out they are generally poor usually rubbish....

The noise they make in the lightest breeze drives you crackers and one good gust and they rip to shreds. Had one that was out of its packet it ripped as in unwrapped it and 15 minutes of been a tent between 2 arm chairs it failed the 6 year old playing sofa fort test miserably
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

That is why I have the heavy duty reusable one.I defence of the mnylar ones,as noisy as they can be,they are useful.When Piking last January, one of the lads slipped into freezing water. I have a space blanket in my fishing jacket and we got his wet gear off him, wrapped him up and I sprinted to the car for dry kit.Bought no beer that night! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Seems a reasonable list and you seem to be one of them that know how to use what is there.

Even if you have a road map in the vehicle add an extra to the kit.

My only other suggestion would be to add a good quality legal utility knife or a good multi-tool to the cutting gear if you do not carry one as EDC. It helps for tightening, torquing, stitching and repairing along the way.

My own vehicle kit is a bit more than what you carry. I am in a climate susceptible to heavy snows, so I have the addition of a sleeping bag and snow suit. I also have a collapsing all terrain cart for carrying it due to back and foot problems.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Love it!

For an extra £40 and 2kg you could include a summer sleeping bag and a 3/4-length sleeping mat.

If you wanted to save weight, are you sure you need all those water containers and cup? Perhaps just have one metal nalgene and one plastic collapsible water carrier or bladder?

Toilet paper, unless that's what the secondary function of the Ray Mears book :lol:

Powerbank for your mobile?
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mortblanc wrote:Seems a reasonable list and you seem to be one of them that know how to use what is there.

Even if you have a road map in the vehicle add an extra to the kit.

My only other suggestion would be to add a good quality legal utility knife or a good multi-tool to the cutting gear if you do not carry one as EDC. It helps for tightening, torquing, stitching and repairing along the way.

My own vehicle kit is a bit more than what you carry. I am in a climate susceptible to heavy snows, so I have the addition of a sleeping bag and snow suit. I also have a collapsing all terrain cart for carrying it due to back and foot problems.
Thankyou for your reply.You will see that I have a leather man,Swiss Army Knife and a map in there.I seriously hope I never have to use it though.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

sethorly wrote:Love it!

For an extra £40 and 2kg you could include a summer sleeping bag and a 3/4-length sleeping mat.

If you wanted to save weight, are you sure you need all those water containers and cup? Perhaps just have one metal nalgene and one plastic collapsible water carrier or bladder?

Toilet paper, unless that's what the secondary function of the Ray Mears book :lol:

The 2x1litre nalgenes sit in the bag.The scout canteen hangs off the shoulder.Remember,this is a day sack.Grey man all the way.I have a Summer sleeping bag in the motor.could be rolled with the tarp as a sleeping roll.Toilet paper? missed THAT! Priority on that.

Power bank for my I phone.missed that too! Any suggestions?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
sethorly wrote:Love it!

The 2x1litre nalgenes sit in the bag.The scout canteen hangs off the shoulder.Remember,this is a day sack.Grey man all the way.I have a Summer sleeping bag in the motor.could be rolled with the tarp as a sleeping roll.Toilet paper? missed THAT! Priority on that.

Power bank for my I phone.missed that too! Any suggestions?
I like to carry the wee packets of tissues, always have them in pockets and easy to stow in rucksack pockets too. The ones I keep in my jacket pockets I keep in resealable bags, just the cheap ones from Aldi do the trick. Cover a multitude of sins. ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps,I should have known better by experience. Jungle training in Belize we were lax about water disinfection. Knew it all at 19! Shitting yourself for three days solid ain't fun.Toilet paper would not have helped.A jet hose may have though! We burned our fatigues when we got back!

Joking aside, hankies and TP now in there.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Deeps,I should have known better by experience. Jungle training in Belize we were lax about water disinfection. Knew it all at 19! Shitting yourself for three days solid ain't fun.Toilet paper would not have helped.A jet hose may have though! We burned our fatigues when we got back!

Joking aside, hankies and TP now in there.
:lol:

My infantry mate has told me Belize stories, Ireland ones too, basically like all servicemen the keech stories come out sooner or later, its like the shagging and drinking ones, its generally how you spot the absolute fantasists, they've read up on the glory side, not so much the shitting side. :lol: I don't know about you but my Forces career was like a Steven Seagal film, honest :tinfoil apart from the crapping and the gun trots (what you boys call stag I think) and scrubbing out. Apart form that its just like the adverts. :roll: