GHB Yorkshire

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sethorly

Re: GHB Yorkshire

Post by sethorly »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Most track side fencing is Pallasaide round here so croppers will be a unnecessary item to Cary
By Palisade do you mean that the track side fencing is large flat metal poles rather than wire?

I've seen the Chinese shovel - that video is hilarious!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

that stuff :)

Now here is the interesting bit SOME of this stuff track side if there is a overhead live cable is very often GRP fiberglass so easy to cut

none electrified line it will be galv steel

but again they are tamper proof using shear nuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCA5peHEEw
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just thinking but is there really a need to carry the sort of tools capable of cutting through that fencing? If any event is something other than a major total collapse of world order it's likely to be over in a relatively short period of time and you'd be looking at trespass and criminal damage or going equipped at the very least. Then one has to consider the time factor , how long to cut through (presumably two fences) verses the time taken to walk around . Fences aren't continuous or endless so with a little more planning a route that avoids such fences could be drawn up
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I'd only use the GHB if SHTF.

If SHTF I need to get home asap to my family. In the event of civil disturbance, walking along a railway I have thought would be safer than a road, as well as straighter and more direct in many cases. On Google maps, for instance, you can see how getting undetected from Bradford to Leeds would be easier along the railway line. I guess I've just come to the conclusion that I'd like that option, and it doesn't seem to cost or weigh much, or be not relevant to the main mission of getting home quickly and safely. If the tool wouldn't do the job because of the nature of the fence then it's no good; I'm considering it useful only because of my out of date memories of London railway fencing.

If a copper opened up my bag and found the items above, would he do me for going equipped?
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Add GO/RT rated orange trousers and jacket to your bag... And a white hard hat ;)

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... s01-o.html

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... ck882.html

obviously your well aware that railway lines are dangerous and its an offence to trespass on them ;)

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Maybe I'm being a bit dolly, But would't it be easier to follow the general line of the tracks. Do you have to be on them? :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

sethorly wrote: :|
If a copper opened up my bag and found the items above, would he do me for going equipped?
A friend of mine is a signalman and was saying that one reason for delayed trains was because of the theft of signalling cable and I've seen the warnings in our local scrapyard about taking in railway cable so yes I'd say walking along a railway track with a rucksack and metal cutters would appear to be dubious at best and in an event scenario police officers would probably be under some pressure and less inclined to listen to proffered reasonings.
However , I do understand your reasoning for using the rail lines to get home , straight and level at least.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Thanks guys, really good help to my thinking processes. Trouble with an orange jumpsuit is I'd look like I'd just escaped Guantanamo :)

There is no way I would go on the railway line unless it was SHTF Without Rule of Law - I am deeply law abiding. We're talking about the kind of fubar scenario where we'd all be bashing the airwaves regardless of whether we had a HAM licence, and boarding up our windows, and the police would be telling us to form neighbourhood militia. Prepping is all about these extreme (and hopefully extremely unlikely) situations no? There are two possible futures in my sad opinion; I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst. And my children would probably be more at risk during their adult lives than me right now. I've spent years researching our current predicament and I've been deeply disturbed by what I've come across (and I'm not the only one). Researching some things is like going down a horrifying rabbit hole. A decent amount of my research, in case you get the wrong impression, is from talking to my Ahmadiyya friends. Don't want to get political though - that's all I'm saying about that.

Brambles - if you look on Google maps at the railway between Bradford and Leeds, for instance, there is no comparable road route, and my concern is that roads would be dangerous - I'm prepping for massive civil disturbance after all.

Take a look at Varley St in Pudsey on Google Maps street view where it crosses the line - with bolt croppers I could cut the razor wire, get through the industrial unit, up the bank and over the fence onto the line. There appear to be loads of other areas like that from a quick scout on GMaps. And after all we're talking about 8 or 9 quid for a tool which I could chuck without a second thought if I was tabbing along the road instead.
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sethorly wrote:Thanks guys, really good help to my thinking processes. Trouble with an orange jumpsuit is I'd look like I'd just escaped Guantanamo :)

Or a pissed off rail worker trying to get home ;)

Don't forget if its a big shtf lights . street lights will be out cars etc least for a few days / weeks will still be Mobile and if your walking along roads at night not getting run over could be a lafe saver ;)

We wear orange at work (better visibility than yellow in our environment) and its always fun driving past the Railtrack worker's skiving in a lay by when you drive a very similar looking vehicle to what the rail workers drive ;) with the panicked look on their face

And been orange you don't look like a copper its not cammo so it doesn't scream prepper round here ldue to industry lots wear it so you do become grey :)

sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Save your money with that one, that's for cutting cables not single strand steel wire, it might get through it once but you'll have a big dent in your blades.
There's a set of mini bolt croppers suggested at the bottom of that page that would cut it though.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40455 doubt they'd get through a padlock, but steel wire shouldn't be a problem, they are silverline though, which isn't great and they can be made of rubbish steel, I'd want to have a look to see how strong they are before buying so if you're going to go for those then do it in store rather than online if you can.

Another thing that may work is a good set of side cutters, they'll be smaller than the fencing pliers etc, but be aware that you'd need a crazy strong grip, I use them for trimming copper saddler's rivets that are a similar gauge to the wire that's used for fencing and it's hard on the hands getting it to cut through, steel is much stronger than copper so it would be even more difficult, you'd have to experiment with that to see if you reckon they'll be a viable option but I think the jaws would be strong enough, at least to only use a few times to get you home.
I've got something very similar to those bolt croppers, it makes very short work of chain link fencing or barbed wire.