GHB Yorkshire

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sethorly

GHB Yorkshire

Post by sethorly »

I live in one of the main cities of Yorkshire, very infrequently moving more than 10 miles from home for my work. Very occassionally I'll be up to 35 miles away. So my Get Home needs are pretty negligible I think - I'll need to plan for a max 48 hours travel including avoiding trouble and rest. I'm planning for civil disturbance and transport failure (roads blocked). Here's the kit I'm thinking of carrying in a civvie bumbag in my car - please let me know what you think:

The aim is to get me from point of origin to my family at home as quickly as possible, not stop and build a woodland palace. I'd walk at night as well as during the day, and grab a nap if necessary during the warm daylight hours. I'd travel as direct as possible using roads but may need to avoid built-up areas and occassionally go cross-country. I've considered a fold-up bicycle but it's just not 'me'. I'm planning separate car gear in case I'm going to be staying with the car with kids such as blankets etc.

Most important gear - clothes in plastic bag attached to GHB, work clothes and plastic bag to be left in car
Walking shoes (not boots), wicking underlayer, full zip fleece, cargo trousers, rainproof lightweight trousers and jacket.
Hat, insulated gloves, scarf. (rainproof warm clothes that can be easily unlayered when getting too hot essential)
Spare walking socks.
Blister pack. (blisters would significantly delay getting home time)
Survival straw. (lightest weight no hassle water filter system)
Cheap plastic bottle of water. (hydrate before setting off, then fill up on the way if possible, or throw away - 0.75 ltrs)
Map of relevant part of England. 1:50,000.
LED light (those small things - for reading the map at night)
Compass. (a proper one, not a button thingie)
spare bank card and cash
breakdown info and contact info
spare mobile phone payasyougo
spare glasses
ice grips for shoes

Nice gear to have
GHB - cheap civvie bum bag (grey man) (to be worn under waterproof jacket which will either be worn or attached round my waist)
aspirin, ibuprofen
face masks (normal surgical ones)
wire cutters (still researching this, I don't think a leatherman would be sufficient - needed to bypass field fences and get onto train tracks)
head torch
small windup radio (intel)
small power bank for phone
steel-tipped umbrella (defence and, you know, yorkshire rain - might have to cross the penines - ergh!)
duct tape (for clothing and shoe repair)
toilet paper (in ziplock bag)
fastfood wet wipe packets (hygiene)
sharpie pen (leaving messages etc)

Luxuries
snack (any ideas? I think it would be best to have high fat high calorie foods, but something like cheese doesn't keep well. High fat as it is digested inefficiently producing heat.)
cheap solid fuel stove containing solid fuel blocks with cheap camping cup, with coffee/tea (to reduce shock at the start, and warm up on the road)
monocular (avoid trouble)
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Re: GHB Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Spare flat cap ;) got to blend in loose it an your buggered ;)

Trail mix for food?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Assuming you don't have an allergy......

Peanuts

GORP

Peanut butter to go on Crackers

All these also make you feel like you've eaten something.

Spare lighter, they weigh very little after all
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you want something to use to cut wire you want a set of these https://www.quora.com/What-are-fencing- ... u-use-them strong wire cutters, a spike you can use to pry stuff and a striking surface that would have many uses.

You can't buy them from that link, included it as it shows them nicely, but you can get them for not a lot of money from fleabay etc, and you know they'll do the job admirably as that's what they're designed for.

They are weighty, but you'd be surprised how handy they are, mine never even make it onto my pegboard, they live permanently on my workbench.

I wouldn't like to take a wallop from a set of them either if that's a consideration.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Jamesey1981 wrote:If you want something to use to cut wire you want a set of these https://www.quora.com/What-are-fencing- ... u-use-them strong wire cutters, a spike you can use to pry stuff and a striking surface that would have many uses.
I was considering this one:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80044? ... 0wodvRQJ3Q

I'm just not a handyman tool person so I really don't know. Think they'd be similarly useful to your fencing pliers?
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Save your money with that one, that's for cutting cables not single strand steel wire, it might get through it once but you'll have a big dent in your blades.
There's a set of mini bolt croppers suggested at the bottom of that page that would cut it though.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40455 doubt they'd get through a padlock, but steel wire shouldn't be a problem, they are silverline though, which isn't great and they can be made of rubbish steel, I'd want to have a look to see how strong they are before buying so if you're going to go for those then do it in store rather than online if you can.

Another thing that may work is a good set of side cutters, they'll be smaller than the fencing pliers etc, but be aware that you'd need a crazy strong grip, I use them for trimming copper saddler's rivets that are a similar gauge to the wire that's used for fencing and it's hard on the hands getting it to cut through, steel is much stronger than copper so it would be even more difficult, you'd have to experiment with that to see if you reckon they'll be a viable option but I think the jaws would be strong enough, at least to only use a few times to get you home.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

sethorly wrote:I live in one of the main cities of Yorkshire, very infrequently moving more than 10 miles from home for my work. Very occassionally I'll be up to 35 miles away. So my Get Home needs are pretty negligible I think - I'll need to plan for a max 48 hours travel including avoiding trouble and rest. I'm planning for civil disturbance and transport failure (roads blocked). Here's the kit I'm thinking of carrying in a civvie bumbag in my car - please let me know what you think:

The aim is to get me from point of origin to my family at home as quickly as possible, not stop and build a woodland palace. I'd walk at night as well as during the day, and grab a nap if necessary during the warm daylight hours. I'd travel as direct as possible using roads but may need to avoid built-up areas and occassionally go cross-country. I've considered a fold-up bicycle but it's just not 'me'. I'm planning separate car gear in case I'm going to be staying with the car with kids such as blankets etc.

Most important gear - clothes in plastic bag attached to GHB, work clothes and plastic bag to be left in car
Walking shoes (not boots), wicking underlayer, full zip fleece, cargo trousers, rainproof lightweight trousers and jacket.
Hat, insulated gloves, scarf. (rainproof warm clothes that can be easily unlayered when getting too hot essential)
Spare walking socks.
Blister pack. (blisters would significantly delay getting home time)
Survival straw. (lightest weight no hassle water filter system)
Cheap plastic bottle of water. (hydrate before setting off, then fill up on the way if possible, or throw away - 0.75 ltrs)
Map of relevant part of England. 1:50,000.
LED light (those small things - for reading the map at night)
Compass. (a proper one, not a button thingie)
spare bank card and cash
breakdown info and contact info
spare mobile phone payasyougo
spare glasses
ice grips for shoes

Nice gear to have
GHB - cheap civvie bum bag (grey man) (to be worn under waterproof jacket which will either be worn or attached round my waist)
aspirin, ibuprofen
face masks (normal surgical ones)
wire cutters (still researching this, I don't think a leatherman would be sufficient - needed to bypass field fences and get onto train tracks)
head torch
small windup radio (intel)
small power bank for phone
steel-tipped umbrella (defence and, you know, yorkshire rain - might have to cross the penines - ergh!)
duct tape (for clothing and shoe repair)
toilet paper (in ziplock bag)
fastfood wet wipe packets (hygiene)
sharpie pen (leaving messages etc)

Luxuries
snack (any ideas? I think it would be best to have high fat high calorie foods, but something like cheese doesn't keep well. High fat as it is digested inefficiently producing heat.)
cheap solid fuel stove containing solid fuel blocks with cheap camping cup, with coffee/tea (to reduce shock at the start, and warm up on the road)
monocular (avoid trouble)

Hey sethorly,

lots of different views / opinions on this one, I would consider the distance you need to cover and work out how long this will take, factor into this the weight your carrying and take a long hard look..... I know how much ground I can cover and how light a load I need to take with me, if its more than 5 - 10kgs I would keep ditching stuff until its really box basic.... getting home is the destination and that's all the drive I need.... who or whatever may be in my path,

if you have the time take a look at the MOD escape and evasion book, for more guidance.

clearing a path, Im going home.
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Thanks Jamesey, that's really helpful advice - I can see I'll need to do a lot more research before buying something capable of easily cutting steel wire.
Citizen H, I agree - travelling light and fast is my intention, as you can tell from the neglible weight of my GHB.
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Okey dokey - Having spent a fair amount of time on research, I'd like to propose these as good bolt croppers for my GHB needs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEKTON-3400-18 ... tters&th=1

They're 8 inches long only, so not a lot of leverage for padlocks, but I only need them for chain link fences in a highly infrequent SHTF situation to get onto train tracks or through the odd barbed wire field boundary. The blades are drop forged and have had reviews saying they're effective. Evidently the 18" version is very good, but I don't think I need anything bigger than 8" for their likely use. When I get one and use one on some old fencing I'll post a review.

(The larger ones look too unwieldy to offer a worthwhile defensive benefit.)
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Most track side fencing is Pallasaide round here so croppers will be a unnecessary item to Cary you seen the Chinese army shove ?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Chine ... Ciid%253A1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine