BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
gamekeeper752

Re: BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Post by gamekeeper752 »

in the car I've got my old work gortex which is fine where I live, never more than a couple of miles from a house or whatever,nearly always have some type of lightweight walking trousers on as I've never had a problem with cold legs,touch wood, and a pair of walking boots and wellies there as well,
If I'm in the field shooting or whatever I still like my smock with layers underneath a t shirt as I hate long sleeves but a long sleeve cotton shirt and then a fleece, and a woolie hat for when I stop,as I normally wear some form of brimmed hat when out
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Sound theory. I have a breathable shell waterproof that has zips under the arms to vent the ooze :?
My mate wears something similar up the hills (buffalo jacket maybe ???) and he loves it. We'll all have our own take on what works and its great to swap notes. I do have to be careful if I'm stopping though, I've given myself 'the shivers' in the past when out in the V cold when stopping too long so its not a perfect system but for me preferable to constantly sweating. Experience plays a part of course, there's got to be some compensation for not being as fit as I was 20 years ago. :)
shocker

Post by shocker »

gamekeeper752 wrote: I still like my smock with layers underneath
Out of interest: Dennison ? Windproof ? Fishermans ?
Last edited by shocker on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

its my old military one windproof rip-stop thingy personally I can be wet and be OK but add cold winds to that and your in trouble, it covers my arse and I've put a stiffer wire in the hood,I've also took the buttons off and put heavy grad Velcros on it, I also spray the hood and shoulder area with a waterproofing stuff which does cut down in water seep
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
shocker

Post by shocker »

Aaah, I know the one. And Im the same, wet I can bear, likewise wind, but wind and rain, then I can be in real discomfort and possibly real danger.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Something thats worked for me was carry a few spare teeshirts, then after a slog and your sweating buckets, when you stop you feel the cold, I'd take off the wet teeshirt dry off with a towel and nice dry teeshirtback on, top clothes back on and your warm and toasty. it makes a huge difference (well for me it did)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Have you tried the Afghan issue under armour sweat wicking tees ? I havnt had a go yet, I have had mixed results with wicking gear over the years but it seems better now than when I first tried it.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I've tried a synthetic wicking t-shirt. Not by Under Armour though. Maybe it was because it was not so expensive, but it just doesn't perform at all as well as my merino stuff. I've become a complete merino wicking layer fanboy since starting this thread - and I'm using the cheap stuff from the cheap supermarkets. I still haven't found a good waterproof outer layer though. Or rather, I'm watching several coats on t'internet hoping for a sale....
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

I picked up a thin, light gore-tex outer shell by Marmot in the states about 10 years ago, its still my favourite. Might be worth a look ?

Good call on the Merino, had some jumpers knitted by my dear old mum but never next-to-skin. Can you give us some more details on where to source and cost ?
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Aldi and Lidl do them occassionally, and they're around 15-25 quid. They have his and hers tops, larger tops with thumb holes in the sleeves and a higher zipped neck, and long johns. You just have to kinda pop in to a store and see if they're in - and when they're in buy everything you need. I'll take a look at Marmot, thanks.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======