BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sniper 55

Re: BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Post by sniper 55 »

I'ne not tried the under armour ones, I've got a civi "wicking" teeshirt which seems ok, but I find it a bit warm for summer use.
shocker

Post by shocker »

One of the "discounter" supermarkets has some Merino stuff listed as "mid-layer" at the moment, costing about £25 each top or, well, not top. I went to Aldi last night but none to see, so maybe its Lidl. That or I was a day early.

Whichever way up, I cocked it up and spent all my cash on food. Again. :oops:

edit : had another look online - is this https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-men%27s-me ... 7129418500 the kind of thing you use, Seth ?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I'm sure the ones some of us on here bought a couple of months ago were labelled base layer. If they're widening the range that's great. I prefer an ordinary fleece for my mid layer as the UK isn't that cold so often I only need 2 layers, and I want that 2nd layer to be reasonably waterproof, and fully zippable for when the sun suddenly appears or when you get to the end of your walk and you want to vent that moisture.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks, knowing that I will hold off until I see some base layer stuff then ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

shocker wrote:I spent enough time in muddy holes in cotton clothing to have a healthy dislike for the clammy, slow drying stuff. Goretex, fleece/fibrepile and synthetic under layers for me, whilst on the move. Plus it dries quicker and packs down smaller. Cotton is good for dry kit for the night, I reckon. Avoid mixed fibres as they give the worst of both worlds. My 10 pence.
Wholeheartedly agree regarding cotton mixes. I find merino-poly mix base layers are a lot more hardwearing than the (expensive) 100% merino stuff.

I'm a fan of Uniqlo heattech baselayers for the outdoorsy stuff I do, I'm on the skinny side and not too sweaty unless running, so your milage may vary regarding "wicking" and all the other marking terms the manufacturers like to use!
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

i know this might sound silly but ive found that with thermalson when im walking they tend to twist and constrict. i prefer a couple of cheap pairs of novelty pjs works better for me.
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Ever since wearing Merino wool long sleeve T-shirts, i wouldnt go back to cotton...
Winter for me - Merino shirt | Buffalo Jacket | Goretex outer for downpours.
fez

Post by fez »

If anyone is interested TKMax have got some base layer stuff in, Hind,(£7.99) Under Armour etc. Nice cheap way of trying stuff out to see what works in different conditions and jobs!
Fez
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 pm
featherstick wrote:Me too, Shocker, me too.

Wool underlayer (Endicotts do a dirt-cheap Italian undershirt, I have several and they are very good, no connection etc.) then fleece layers to take off/put on. I've gone off wool jumpers, I have a couple but rarely wear them anymore as even cheap fleece is so good now. All finished off with a light anorak and w'proof trousers if necessary, and sealed with scarves, hats, neck-tubes if necessary.
I've found that I prefer to go 'light', while on the move its the one base layer, if its cold/wet I'll have a fouly on over it but as a sweat monster I prefer to keep it to a minimum. As soon as I stop I put a fleece on, other midlayer options are available of course. ;)
I'm the same, if you sweat there is really nothing you can do, no amount of vents in a jacket is going to prevent it. I just get on with it then when I stop change into a dry base layer +mid if needed.

for base layer I normally go synthetic (high wick, fast dry) type depends on season, loose fit in summer and tight fit thermal or compression in winter.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:07 pm
Deeps wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 pm
I've found that I prefer to go 'light', while on the move its the one base layer, if its cold/wet I'll have a fouly on over it but as a sweat monster I prefer to keep it to a minimum. As soon as I stop I put a fleece on, other midlayer options are available of course. ;)
I'm the same, if you sweat there is really nothing you can do, no amount of vents in a jacket is going to prevent it. I just get on with it then when I stop change into a dry base layer +mid if needed.

for base layer I normally go synthetic (high wick, fast dry) type depends on season, loose fit in summer and tight fit thermal or compression in winter.
I hear ya brother, synthetic long sleeved T shirt, if its cold I'll maybe have a short sleeved T shirt over it. The other week when I was to-ing and fro-ing from a bothy I was drying them and swapping them round. I keep a small towel to hand to wipe the sweat off my face too.