My Every Day Carry.....

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Ginger Ranger

My Every Day Carry.....

Post by Ginger Ranger »

Hey all,

Just looking for a little feedback and maybe some suggestions for my every day carry. This little kit comes everywhere with me and i usually transfer from bag to bag or even just in my pocked as its so compact.

The kit is contained in a Maxpedition Micro with contents below:

-Swiss army knife
-Lighter
-Stanley screwdriver pen (so good)
-Creed 350L Torch
-Small FAK ( plasters, antiseptic wipes, painkillers, antihistamines)
-Spare batteries for torch
-Sharpie
-Pen
-Swiss Tech Utili-Key
-Small pry/ bottle opener
-Small cable ties
-Notepad
-Firesteel

Below are some pictures of the kit set up.

Thanks
tmp_12517-20161029_110414_resized_1-1720367939.jpg
tmp_12517-20161029_110402_resized_1-663982281.jpg
tmp_12517-20161029_110212_resized_1-1314590417.jpg
Paranoid=No
Prepared=YES
Jamesey1981

Re: My Every Day Carry.....

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I like those little Stanley pens, have one in my truck, come in handy more times than I can remember.

That's a fairly hefty torch, looks like a 3 AAA one? If it was me I would swap that out for either a single AAA torch or a 2 AAA penlight style one, then you'll have some room to add a good hank of cordage, I use jute twine, you can fit a lot more in than you can with paracord and as it's a natural fibre then you can use it as tinder too. I also carry a shortish length of number 12 bank line, very thin but very strong.

Other things I would add if you can squeeze them in is a chapstick, loads of uses both survival and day to day, and some gaffer tape, I keep some wrapped round a piece of thin plastic cut from a takeaway food container, you can get a fair bit of tape into a small space that way.

One other thing, I'm not sure if it works on the micro, but on the mini you can poke cable ties into the hem around the inside of the zip, you poke them into the overlap in the middle where the pouch hinges, hard to explain but hopefully you know what I mean, then they take up none of the internal space at all!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A needle and thread with a couple of buttons and safety pins for running repairs etc takes up next to no space.i have a needle in a bit of cardboard with thread wrapped round it inside a wee resealable bag.

Looks good though mate, it really is whatever works for you with this kind of thing.
Ginger Ranger

Post by Ginger Ranger »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I like those little Stanley pens, have one in my truck, come in handy more times than I can remember.

That's a fairly hefty torch, looks like a 3 AAA one? If it was me I would swap that out for either a single AAA torch or a 2 AAA penlight style one, then you'll have some room to add a good hank of cordage, I use jute twine, you can fit a lot more in than you can with paracord and as it's a natural fibre then you can use it as tinder too. I also carry a shortish length of number 12 bank line, very thin but very strong.

Other things I would add if you can squeeze them in is a chapstick, loads of uses both survival and day to day, and some gaffer tape, I keep some wrapped round a piece of thin plastic cut from a takeaway food container, you can get a fair bit of tape into a small space that way.

One other thing, I'm not sure if it works on the micro, but on the mini you can poke cable ties into the hem around the inside of the zip, you poke them into the overlap in the middle where the pouch hinges, hard to explain but hopefully you know what I mean, then they take up none of the internal space at all!

Thanks for the feedback, torch takes a single AA battery which is really bright. i do have a single AAA led battery pen torch but when i have needed a torch it has been a little too dim. A bit of cordage is a good shout so will consider getting some of it and chapstick is great for this time of year :D
Paranoid=No
Prepared=YES
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Ginger Ranger wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I like those little Stanley pens, have one in my truck, come in handy more times than I can remember.

Thanks for the feedback, torch takes a single AA battery which is really bright. i do have a single AAA led battery pen torch but when i have needed a torch it has been a little too dim. A bit of cordage is a good shout so will consider getting some of it and chapstick is great for this time of year :D
Fair enough, looked bigger than that in the picture, I carry the mini pouch rather than the micro and my 3 battery one looks about the same size in comparison!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Those torches are great, and cheap, but they are tad on the big side for what they are, I've more or less confined mine to back-up since getting an Thrunite Ti3, 3 modes about a 1/3 of the size, and runs off a triple A battery, it's small enough to go on a keyring and brighter than the Cree (although the cree does have a zoom head)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I have a similar setup in a Vanquest PPC mini pouch. I carry some bits and pieces in addition to what you have:

Potassium permanganate in 1ml plastic perfume sample vials
Plastic reseable food bag to hold my FAK- doubles as a make do cup/water container
Tampon
Sugar sachets
Kevlar thread on a reel
Cable ties
Gaffer tape - as others have mentioned, wrapped around an old credit card.
Torch - to go slimline I use a Nitecore mini rechargable one.
5m of cord.
Some cotton wool soaked in vaseline in a plastic sealed bag
Titanium pry-bar
Scissors from a SAK credit card tool
Screwdrivers from the above tool
An emery board nail file - match striker
Knife is a Leatherman mini.
Sewing kit
Freznel lens
lighter
Card with emergency numbers on it and my details.
Small tin with asprin, ibuprofen and water puri tabs
Bit of old inner tube.

On the outside of the pouch inside the molle webbing I tuck a Leatherman Piranha and a couple of pencils, courtesy from Screwfix/Argos.

Don't get me going on what I can cram in an Altoid tin!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Ginger Ranger wrote:Hey all,

Just looking for a little feedback and maybe some suggestions for my every day carry. This little kit comes everywhere with me and i usually transfer from bag to bag or even just in my pocked as its so compact.

The kit is contained in a Maxpedition Micro with contents below:

-Swiss army knife
-Lighter
-Stanley screwdriver pen (so good)
-Creed 350L Torch
-Small FAK ( plasters, antiseptic wipes, painkillers, antihistamines)
-Spare batteries for torch
-Sharpie
-Pen
-Swiss Tech Utili-Key
-Small pry/ bottle opener
-Small cable ties
-Notepad
-Firesteel

Looks good to me but I found a pouch was just to small, and things had to be sacrificed , so got a Rush 24 ruck, gazzilions of pockets and nooks :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-11-Tactical- ... ds=rush+24

Had it about 5 years and still going strong, its with me 99% of the time as I only leave it in the car when doing a big shop or similar ....

But I would recommend this to free up space https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tube-Resistant ... ch+keyring

Bit cheaper here http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights ... oCUyfw_wcB

Brilliant bit of kit that weighs nowt, I set a alarm on my comp to charge it every few weeks but when I first had it I left it to see how long it would last , and it was still good a few months later admittedly with little use...
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Personally I really don't like rechargable things. I have to use some with my work and to be honest the batteries no matter how good have a limited life, luckly the batteries I use are easily swopped so carrying spares isn't an issue, but for torches I like normal batteries I can get anywhere.
I know it's cheaper to recharge and at one time I was getting through 24 AA batteries a day, at the time I was using ni-cads which I much prefer to Li-ion (they lasted a lot longer lifespan wise) but if I'd had to buy decent batteries someone somewhere would have had a fit at my expenses claims. ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Maybe throw a smally pair of tweezers in there too if they'll fit. Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDC-Gear-Pock ... 3d1dfae3b9

skelfs can be a ball ache.