BOB within a BOB?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
JonnyRambo

Re: BOB within a BOB?

Post by JonnyRambo »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Bet you to it should have patented my idea :twisted: ;)

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8342

Clothes ended up in a vacuum storage bag sleeping bag ended up in a nylon dry bag

But you didn't, I'll be down the patent office first thing tomorrow! Seriously, that looks really good. A few years old now, have you had a chance to put it to good use yet or is it collecting dust?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Fortunately ive not needed to grab it...

however i did pillage it when i went hill walking last month .. took the 24 hr ration pack out as it was just out of date (so need a new one ordering)

it does need re packing (its all there in a plastic storage box but want to alter a few things (replace tent with my new goretex bivvy and add a sleeping mat ) and refresh batteries et all but as a stand alone grab it if forced to evacuate home provides me with some basics to keep my going
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
JonnyRambo

Post by JonnyRambo »

I can't get over how much rations cost. I'm considering joining the reserves just to get them free 8-)
At our fob in Iraq we had an iso container full of them, probably had a bigger street value than class a drugs.

You've reminded me, I need a new blow up roll mat. Better get on that soon. And I'm sticking with a poncho rather than a tent, for now.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

JonnyRambo wrote:I can't get over how much rations cost. I'm considering joining the reserves just to get them free 8-)
At our fob in Iraq we had an iso container full of them, probably had a bigger street value than class a drugs.

You've reminded me, I need a new blow up roll mat. Better get on that soon. And I'm sticking with a poncho rather than a tent, for now.

It amazed me how the stores system worked, in my little corner we ordered valves worth tens of thousands of pounds for guys to cannibalise them for a pin or whatever but if the scran assassins went a couple of hundred over budget they were hauled over the coals.

One of my mate was a QM in an infantry regiment and I've been amazed how tight he was saying things were, lets just say in the 'Senior Service' :D things were a bit easier to lay hands on.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

JonnyRambo wrote:I can't get over how much rations cost. I'm considering joining the reserves just to get them free 8-)

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ... 87483.html. I got one of these
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

JonnyRambo wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:The idea is sound but I like to keep the basic essentials on my person, if you really have to ditch your bag chances are it's gone tits up big time, will you have time to open the bag and take out a smaller bag? maybe a belt pouch so you can just drop the bergan and leg it?
Carrying a smaller bag inside is a good idea though, if you need to fetch water or just go on a recce you could just take the smaller bag leaving the bigger one at your lay up point.

I guess it would depend on the scenario whether you could get it on time but it wouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to grab. And like you say it would be a good idea for short missions where it's unnecessary to carry all your kit.

I know what you're saying about carrying kit on your person, on army exercises I used to have about 10 differents items tied with string to the insides of my jacket pockets, very convenient and you won't lose them. But I'm thinking along the lines of a hexi cooker, mess tin, bottle of water, waterproofs, some food - sort of enough to keep you fed and dry for 24 hours.

Just an idea anyway, I'm going to have to overhaul and repack my BOB anyway as I've got a few new bits lately so I'll see what I can come up with.
Our way of working was you would normally carry 24 hours of rations, not the full ratpack just say the main meals, sweets and brew kit in our beltkit along with a survival pouch and mess tin, ammo etc. In those days we had webbing with lots of pouches and a poncho roll (58 webbing) that meant you could carry a lot of kit on just your belt, having stuff actually on me is what I've got used to.
JonnyRambo

Post by JonnyRambo »

I don't think 95 webbing is much different? Had 4 utility pouches on mine not including any ammo or rck. It's the same now, main meals in your webbing and Haribo in your pocket. That's all you need.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

JonnyRambo wrote:Haribo in your pocket. That's all you need.
Yup. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
womble

Post by womble »

Having a bag in your bag also lets you spread stuff out once you actually start using it: if you've packed your stuff using vacpack bags, once you take 'em out, you won't be getting them all back in, so you'll need to be able to expand your storage; if you've started with empty water bladders, or spares rolled up small, you'll be filling them with water at your first secure water stop; if you change your clobber to lighter weight, there might not be room for the whole lot in your bag til you've eaten some rations... You can tie stuff to the outside, but it's vulnerable there.

Possibly more relevant to GHB rather than BoB, since a GHB generally has to be "economically sized" and streamlined to be readily portable, and is a more spontaneous need than a BoB, especially here in the UK.

There are packs which incorporate a dismountable sub-pack: the [strike]Action Direct[/strike] [Edit:] Direct Action[/edit] Ghost amongst others. They might be right for a "modular" approach.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

How about a Snugpak response with main survival kit in the top compartment?