Suggest an EDC watch

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
dangerman

Re: Suggest an EDC watch

Post by dangerman »

Bought one! Bought a Timex something or other... One like this:

it's apparently just as good as a G-Shock, but it says Timex on it instead. So far I really like it. I'm curious to see how long the battery lasts though. The compass sometimes turns itself on which I don't think is a good think for a little button cell. I paid the full £50, not a bargain. But I wanted something fairly quick and used G-Shocks were going for that much with fewer features.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
womble

Post by womble »

It's entirely not as good as a G-shock Solar. Battery on those is pretty much indefinite. Being solar powered. And for the extra £28 (a quick Google tells me), never having to worry about batteries is well worth it imo.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I have a Timex Expedition.

Been wearing it ten years and the battery is still going.

The old "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" thing applies. I have put it through he!!.

Something else might have other features or strobe lights or go get the mail for you but the Expedition has told me time and direction any time I needed either for a decade.
Last edited by Mortblanc on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

double post
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

womble wrote:It's entirely not as good as a G-shock Solar. Battery on those is pretty much indefinite. Being solar powered. And for the extra £28 (a quick Google tells me), never having to worry about batteries is well worth it imo.
Did it have a compass though? :) I probably would have gone for a g-shock for that much more had it been both solar and compass savvy. Link? I could probably still replace this.

That being said, I really like this watch. I like Timex, they're more unusual than loads of other watches. And I also had a Timex Marathon as my first ever watch so I have sentimental loyalty to the brand.
womble

Post by womble »

No, no compass; that's a Silva one in the rucksack. But it does set itself, has a good backlight, easily activated and a bunch of other features. While the self-setting thing relies on a time signal that will go the way of all things official in the EOTWAWKI, the chances of that being an issue are so slender as to be negligible, and having the time that I know is right available on my wrist is valuable to me. And the innocent pleasure of having the hour-beep go off exactly as the time pips come across the radio is priceless ;)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

womble wrote:..... And the innocent pleasure of having the hour-beep go off exactly as the time pips come across the radio is priceless ;)
Whereas I adjust my mechanical self-winding day/date/time-and-that's-it Seiko by the station clock on platform 1...

Keeping it analogue since 1968.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

featherstick wrote:
womble wrote:.....
Whereas I adjust my mechanical self-winding day/date/time-and-that's-it Seiko by the station clock on platform 1...

Keeping it analogue since 1968.
Yes but that does not do back flips and belly flops, sing happy birthday to you or whistle for the dog now does it?

I have heard that CASIOS will burst into flame on your wrist when stricken by EMP! Anyone know for sure? :tinfoil
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Good call, that beep every hour is very useful. I need to figure out how to turn that on on my Timex. It's a feature I'd expect from a digital watch.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

dangerman wrote:Good call, that beep every hour is very useful. I need to figure out how to turn that on on my Timex. It's a feature I'd expect from a digital watch.
I hate that hourly bleep myself, turning it off is the first thing I do if I have a watch that has that feature.