Suggest an EDC Pen

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Toddie

Suggest an EDC Pen

Post by Toddie »

Ok so, the pen i used to carry around with me which was a cheap ikea pencil sized pen with a clip on it has gone missing during a recent holiday. So i thought i'd spend a little bit more and get a more solid pen which has a bit more to it.

Now i've been looking at a stainless steel sharpie which are around the £5 mark and seem pretty solid, but before i go ahead and grab one, i want to know if any of you have anything special which you use day to day and would reccomend.

I don't want to spend much over £15

Thanks in advance
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
Jamesey1981

Re: Suggest an EDC Pen

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I carry a fisher space pen, all metal, nice and solid, short so takes up little space but extends for use by putting the cap on the end of it and lovely to write with, can be bought on Amazon for about 14 quid upwards.
For the really cheap option, ring up one of those life insurance companies that give you a free Parker rollerball for enquiring, I have one of those too, refillable, pretty solid and nice to write with and if you can get it for free then the right price too!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've got a space pen as well. It feels nice to handle and write with but the bullet shape seems to be designed to escape pockets, I keep mine tucked into my change purse.

Interesting point. The real Fisher SP refills have a little plastic dohicky included to make them fit a Parker action.
I have the SP in my pocket, a steel Parker in my bag and my 'lending pen' is a nasty looking ink-stained plastic 'promotional' pen (that uses a Parker type action). All of these have the same refills in them.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Rite in the rain do their own pen, works on wet rite in the rain papr, upside down etc.

Can't remember how much it was, but about £15 tops if I remember correctly.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm interested in this thread myself, for years I've always carried a pen and its been a cheap end Parker for a long time but every now and then I lose them which does my napper in. :evil: I've been using a cheapish type that Her Maj gets from reps recently but I wouldn't mind getting a decent one that (somehow magically) I won't lose and isn't all 'tacticool'.

I've looked at these.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-TU ... en+keyring

and I might get one as a 'spare' but its not really an every day pen that you'd lend to someone or use on a daily basis. The search continues.... ;)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Deeps wrote:
I've looked at these.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-TU ... en+keyring

and I might get one as a 'spare' but its not really an every day pen that you'd lend to someone or use on a daily basis. The search continues.... ;)

I have one of those, but to be honest I would only use it as a emergency pen but its nice and small on my keyring....

I also have a fisher space pen and a parker with a fisher refill and they are both good ......

But for my everyday work pen I have a handful of the Uni-Ball Power Tank , £2.69 delivered and a very good pen and can be had in packs cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uni-Ball-Power- ... erball+pen

Dont bother with refills tho , its cheaper to buy a new pen.....

Works the same as the space pen , upside down in the wet etc............

Have not had a chance yet to see if they work in zero gravity :D

But can not recommend them enough, write lovely , feel nice in hand and look good as well (tacticool) :D

Worth a good search on Amazon/Ebay as can be had very cheap in packs , but watch for the colour,, red comes very cheap....

Pack of 12 http://www.amazon.co.uk/uni-ball-Power- ... Ball-Power £16.99
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Appreciate the response Tanstaafl, I'll check them out. I was happy enough using the cheapy Parker's but just grudged losing 1 or 2 a year. I saw the True utility jobbies as very much for emergency use and I'll probably get one plus extra refills at some point.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I've got the Bullet Space Pen and it's dead nice. But it's really too expensive and the lid always annoyingly falls off.

I bought some "ZEBRA 'Z-GRIP MINI' RETRACTABLE PENS" from Wilko's the other day on a whim, turns out they're great! And doesn't matter if they get lost.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Deeps wrote:Appreciate the response Tanstaafl, I'll check them out. I was happy enough using the cheapy Parker's but just grudged losing 1 or 2 a year. I saw the True utility jobbies as very much for emergency use and I'll probably get one plus extra refills at some point.
No probs

You do get 3 refills with them but they are tiny, about an inch long and half the diameter of normal refills, I reckon you would not get more than a weeks regular use out of them.... but as said good for emergency use .... :D
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

dangerman wrote:I've got the Bullet Space Pen and it's dead nice. But it's really too expensive and the lid always annoyingly falls off.

They do do a cheap version of the space pen , a plastic version , its the one I have and its pretty good for six quid........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fisher-Space- ... xynapRiDug