Best/favorite EDC torch?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
metatron

Re: Best/favorite EDC torch?

Post by metatron »

Pocket EDC torch has moved to an Olight S1 Baton, as I wanted something small and powerful and I use a Coast G19 as a back up as the Olight uses a CR123a which is not as easy to get as the AAA the Coast runs on.
munchh

Post by munchh »

ForgeCorvus wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o02_s00

I've had a couple of these since October 2014 and use them as my EDC (one lives in my work jeans, the other with my other clothes)
The pocket clips are a bit wappy.
However they don't seem to use any power as the batteries last for ages.
The 'throw' of light is massive, I've lit up a clearing the size of about half a football pitch well enough for someone at the far end to find the end of their tent zip.
You select 'flood' or 'spot' by sliding the end forwards or back and the lens focuses the output, because of this the 'spot' is square :o

All in all a good little torch for under two notes..... And they're currently 3p cheaper then I paid :x :lol:
I have these, but its the rechargeable high power battery I want to get away from, don't get me wrong though, ive got a bike mount for mine, they are brilliant.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

The ThruNite® Ti3 looks like the thing im after, it has a reversible clip so it can go on your cap peak, but the Coast G19 and Fenix E01 look good too, all about the size im thinking.
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

I keep a Cree Q5 LED zoom in my EDC/GHB as its small, tough and bright enough for most situations I would need to use a flash light in an emergency. It has a surprisingly powerful changeable zoom/ brightness and a strobe function which is blinding. It also comes with a clip for hanging off of a belt or around your neck etc.

A plus for me is that it's cheap. I picked mine up on eBay for less than a fiver plus P&P. You could spend a small fortune on a torch and it's true you get what you pay for in my experience, but I would recommend this cheapo to anyone.

For my EDC/GHB I don't need anything too fancy as I like to keep the bag for its namesake:- it's a means to getting me home hopefully to get to my BOB and in case of emergencies only when I don't have access to my BOB.

Whereas my BOB currently has my heavy artillery:- a SureFire G2 X Pro and a Fenix LD10.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've had a couple of these since October 2014 and use them as my EDC (one lives in my work jeans, the other with my other clothes)
The 'throw' of light is massive, I've lit up a clearing the size of about half a football pitch well enough for someone at the far end to find the end of their tent zip.
You select 'flood' or 'spot' by sliding the end forwards or back and the lens focuses the output, because of this the 'spot' is square :o

All in all a good little torch for under two notes..... And they're currently 3p cheaper then I paid :x :lol:
I've got a few of these cree torches (well cree led) and to be fair they are very good, as said above for a single AA or a 14500 battery they throw a lot of light for a small torch. I've had one in my pocket for a few years now and it's takken a battering, it's used every day (honestly) and I can't fault it, I've had several hours light from a part used cheapy AA battery and it was still going strong when I got home, a good duracell should last ages.
The beam is a wide-ish spread, plenty of light to see where your going and watch for stuff on the side of the track, and if you zoom you get a bright spot beam thats throw a good way to see stuff in the distance.
As well as the one in my pocket I have another in my edc/ghb and more around the house, for the money they are a bargin.
uivenger

Post by uivenger »

sniper 55 wrote:

I've got a few of these cree torches (well cree led) and to be fair they are very good, as said above for a single AA or a 14500 battery they throw a lot of light for a small torch. I've had one in my pocket for a few years now and it's takken a battering, it's used every day (honestly) and I can't fault it, I've had several hours light from a part used cheapy AA battery and it was still going strong when I got home, a good duracell should last ages.
The beam is a wide-ish spread, plenty of light to see where your going and watch for stuff on the side of the track, and if you zoom you get a bright spot beam thats throw a good way to see stuff in the distance.
As well as the one in my pocket I have another in my edc/ghb and more around the house, for the money they are a bargin.
Likewise had one of these little beauts in my pocket gear for a while (and also taken a beating) - bought 5 for a tenner from china. can't fault them. and, if you lose them - no tears lost.
Area 9 (Home Weekends)
Area 12 (Work Mon-Fri)
munchh

Post by munchh »

I must be missing something, i cant use a normal AA in mine only a 3.7v LC14500 rechargables?
AREA 3
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

munchh wrote:I must be missing something, i cant use a normal AA in mine only a 3.7v LC14500 rechargables?
In that case you don't have the same as me, mine only get fed AA's
Normally supermarket rechargables or cheap single use jobs..... I wouldn't know what a LC14500 was if it bit me :oops:

You should know I'm too much of a tight stinge-bag to shell out on anything that could be vaguely called 'Expensive' ;)

My both clips broke so I used my MT to unscrew what was left, I don't miss the use of them. I might fit a lanyard ring in their place though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

munchh wrote:I must be missing something, i cant use a normal AA in mine only a 3.7v LC14500 rechargables?
Odd, all of mine work with both the 14500 and AA, that was one of the things I wanted, as most of my other torches use 18650 batteries I wanted a back-up that worked off easily obtainable batteries if the power went out and I couldn't recharge (and I have a ton of AA about anyway)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
In that case you don't have the same as me, mine only get fed AA's
Normally supermarket rechargables or cheap single use jobs..... I wouldn't know what a LC14500 was if it bit me :oops:

You should know I'm too much of a tight stinge-bag to shell out on anything that could be vaguely called 'Expensive' ;)

My both clips broke so I used my MT to unscrew what was left, I don't miss the use of them. I might fit a lanyard ring in their place though
It's exactly the same size as a AA but 3.7v as far as I'm aware they only come as rechargable but I may be wrong.