my BOB contents

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
bangoreye

my BOB contents

Post by bangoreye »

Hi I have recently put together my 72 hour BOB and would like other peoples opinions on the contents

i have a 50l molle bag with 3 removable pouches 2 on the left side and a bigger one on the front

top left pouch contains a fold up shovel/pick

bottom left pouch has a 3"fixed blade a fold up saw and a 10" axe/multi tool and wire saw

large front pouch has fold up gas stove weather proof matches lighter fire steel tinder knife sharpener 7"fixed blade knife 2 x foil blankets 2 x led torches a small fold up lantern a head torch all take aaa batteries spare batteries wool gloves hand sanitiser cable ties gaffer tape 4 x candles first aid kit compass rubber gloves water purification tablets 100ft of black para cord and a pack of playing cards

smaller main bag pocket has 2 x stainless steel mess tins clip together knife fork and spoon small ss plate water proof tub with hot chocolate sashes energy drink powder sugar salt and pepper and olive oil 2 x 450g gas bottles for the fold up stove 12 x tent pegs 4 x 10ft of glow in the dark para cord 3 x tins of all day breakfast 2 x tins of spam 3 x packets of savoury rice 6 x energy bars bag of nuts and bag of sweets

in the main pocket i have my sleeping bag fleece blanket blow up pillow waterproof trousers and jacket 2 x sets of clothes towel survival bivvy bag 2 x 2l bottles of water waterproof bag cover wind up radio

i also have my one man tent insulated sleeping mat and 1L stainless steel water bottle ans stainless steel mug strapped/clipped to the outside of my bag the whole thing is about 16kg in weight

is there any thing i need to add or ditch any input will be much appreciated thanks
bangoreye

Re: my BOB contents

Post by bangoreye »

I just ordered a water filter (lifestraw) off amazon too
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

The trouble with BOB's is that they are personal to the owner, what is correct for you and your circumstances might not suit anyone else.

For example, mine would have:

something to carry it in
something to sleep under
something to sleep in
something to sleep on
something to cook over
something to cook in
something to carry water
method of lighting fire
food and water
medical kit/purification aid
illumination
wash kit
clothing
knife and axe
navigational equipment.

Someone else would have a change of clothes, a book and stay the night in a Hotel

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
bangoreye

Post by bangoreye »

thanks for the input I never really thort of it that way before i feel it suits my needs for now when you mentioned navigation made me think i have no maps im going to get some waterproof maps of my local and surrounding area I think
metatron

Post by metatron »

I tend to think of bobs as if your car got stuck in deep snow and you needed to walk 20 miles home, could you do it with all your stuff on your back, if the answer is no, its time to dump stuff.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

So your house has burnt to the ground and you have jumped out the window your stood out front in your boxers with your bob........

What's missing?

And what's your home insurance policy number and phone number........
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Your home has flooded your soaked and just been rescued by inshore life boat and deposited at a local sports hall.... Dripping wet with your bob Your mobile is soaked and won't work...

featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:So your house has burnt to the ground and you have jumped out the window your stood out front in your boxers with your bob........

What's missing?

And what's your home insurance policy number and phone number........
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Your home has flooded your soaked and just been rescued by inshore life boat and deposited at a local sports hall.... Dripping wet with your bob Your mobile is soaked and won't work...
Exactly. At last some sanity. 26,000 house fires in the UK last year, 0 zombie apocalypses.

I'd trade a machete for a USB with my family photos, home inventory, insurance details and address book any day.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I'd get shot of the shovel/pick unless its winter and even then I'd leave it in the car boot, not in a bag. I'd also get shot of the axe and wire saw as there is no real need for them, as if you need to make a fire use easy accessible dead wood.

Get a cheap high carbon Mora Knife, you can use it for battoning and it will save you weight, the folding saw is kind of useful for making shelters, although I'd take a Basha to save on time there more waterproof/less work.

I'd get shot of gas stove, matches, tinder, 7" knife, led torches. small fold up lantern, candles and just carry a second fire steel and lighter, a good multi tool like the Letherman Wingman and two head torch.

I'd reduce all the cooking tools down to, a spork and a Zebra cooking pot. You don't really need that much para cord, 50ft of it is more then enough. I'd also replace all the gas stuff, with a single can of chaffing fuel, its just gelled alcohol that burns for 8 hours. You can take some out and use it to light fires too.

I'd probably ditch the tent and live with a basha, bivi bag, sleeping bag, sleeping mat combo, to save on space.

Other things I'd have is a cheap Nokia phone with prepaid sim and wind up charger, programmed with all my important numbers. USB stick with scans of important documents and £200 in cash, all in a dry bag.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My bob now has a wood gas stove and a pack of hexi blocks in case its wet...