Car kit

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Car kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

gamekeeper752 wrote:rad weld or an egg for leaky radiator and
a spare fan belt
Sadly radweld on modern cars is a no no it clogs up thermostat's and all sorts

Fan belts too on modern cars are far from simple now many serpentine belts do a combination of water pump, power steering / alternator / air con
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Erm.... where's the chocolate?

You need chocolate

Top priority

Chocolate is surely the first thing (and the last) in the bag!

Any sweets....... but particularly the jelly ones - the use by date is HUUUUUUUUGE

and I've found glo sticks to be especially handy
Knowledge is power
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Sorry, thinking about this reminded me how much I miss the self heating drinks that you used to be able to buy (great car stash)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Heating-D ... B005SC908I

I have been looking (on and off) for a long time now for these drinks but cannot find them. If anyone knows if they are still available and where to get them I'd really appreciate it.
Knowledge is power
jansman

Post by jansman »

gamekeeper752 wrote:rad weld or an egg for leaky radiator and
a spare fan belt
I am no mechanic,and have zero interest in becoming one.So I have RAC membership and cash in my wallet.Under normal conditions the RAC will sort the job,under adverse conditions I always have cash to buy my way home.Failing that I have the GHB and walking boots.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Did my good deed in the hospital car park lady with sick child trying to get home on Friday night tyre totally flat pumped her tyre up then her friend followed her upto the local tyre fitter (silly modern​ cars with no spares)

ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Stasher wrote:Sorry, thinking about this reminded me how much I miss the self heating drinks that you used to be able to buy (great car stash)

I have been looking (on and off) for a long time now for these drinks but cannot find them. If anyone knows if they are still available and where to get them I'd really appreciate it.
Fleabay has some. I used to get mine from EvaQ8 but they don't seem to do them any more. As you say they are good for the boot of the car in the winter, just in case!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Stasher wrote:Sorry, thinking about this reminded me how much I miss the self heating drinks that you used to be able to buy (great car stash)

Fleabay has some. I used to get mine from EvaQ8 but they don't seem to do them any more. As you say they are good for the boot of the car in the winter, just in case!
That's great, thanks for that
Knowledge is power
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Great thread, looking for information about what to have in a car kit was how I found this wonderful site, it's been a real eye opener.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I think one of my earliest posts was asking about a van kit, and I got some very good suggestions much like in this thread.

A couple of weeks back I got a call from a complete stranger which started. '... don't worry, she's fine, but your wife's been in an accident....'
5 mins later I'm at the scene, thankfully no-ones hurt but it was a big shunt, on a corner. Out comes the collapsible triangle, and the hi-vis. Slowing traffic waiting 30 mins for plod to arrive. I was even handing out small bottles of water to all involved.
Once the pennies build up a little more I will be buying a few of those 'puc light' things, as we are now heading quickly towards our very very long dark nights.

Footnote. I was a little annoyed at the scene of the accident as when the police arrived they ran over my triangle. Took me a while to straighten it. :(
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Britcit wrote:I think one of my earliest posts was asking about a van kit, and I got some very good suggestions much like in this thread.

A couple of weeks back I got a call from a complete stranger which started. '... don't worry, she's fine, but your wife's been in an accident....'
5 mins later I'm at the scene, thankfully no-ones hurt but it was a big shunt, on a corner. Out comes the collapsible triangle, and the hi-vis. Slowing traffic waiting 30 mins for plod to arrive. I was even handing out small bottles of water to all involved.
Once the pennies build up a little more I will be buying a few of those 'puc light' things, as we are now heading quickly towards our very very long dark nights.

Footnote. I was a little annoyed at the scene of the accident as when the police arrived they ran over my triangle. Took me a while to straighten it. :(

Hope the wife is ok and not too sore!

I got blue puck lights about 5 years ago from the RAC on offer for £60 in a case and rechargeable

Well we went to emergency service day this spring and traffic cops were using them as paper weighs to hold their pamphlets and colouring sheets down....

Mrs Andy top of her voice "you have some of those blue lights..." Well two coppers spun like they were stood on ball bearings...

So explained the offer and dropped in the conversation that they are just a blue torch / lamp and as long I don't attach them to the car they do not come under special blue lights under the road vehicle lighting regulations.. older sergeant looks at the younger officer "he's right you know!"

So on and off topic...

Check the battery type some use 2xcr123 batteries good standby and life but £5ish for 2

Some use AA's

Just found these on offer!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00QI7 ... ref=plSrch