Car kit

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Car kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote:
A very good point, fire fighting is something I'm comfortable (?????) with, I'm ex navy and it was something we practised all the time. I'm old enough to have done it 'old school' with real fire before the gas powered rigs became the norm. I'm sure if I hadn't been through this, even the newer ones I'd be crying like a little girl in the event of a fire. I've ran back to a pub half 'squiffy' before now shouting for an extinguisher because someone had started a fire along the road. There is no substitute for experience although a cool head can go a long way in pretty much any situation.

Ahh the old full to the brim drum of "oil" (well water and about 2" of fuel on top) which has been allowed to get very hot...

hand student a CO2 and say put that out as we all know CO2 can be used on class B fires but fail to mention the issue of reignition due to Heat and fuel still been present CO2 disperses and fire reignites :twisted:

and most car size dry powder units have the same B rating as most 2kg commercial co2 extinguishers they are surprisingly capable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWzD1BL0kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmGfEshdfU

if you can spare the space a 2kg unit is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLVttonDUk

and those one a garage forecourt or carried by HGV's can pack a hell of a punch watch how they are used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlfhGmR9LvQ
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sorry deeps that sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs :oops:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Sorry deeps that sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs :oops:
No probs bro, it probably sounded like I was being a bit of a blow hard anyway. Used to love it but toward the end I got a bit bored with it, a metaphor for life I suppose. :(
HBP

Post by HBP »

cumbrianish wrote:I'm just revamping the car kit. This is just to stay in the car, I have a bag for getting home if the car's not available or stuck.

So far I have my first aid kit, a general emergency car kit which contains a folding spade, emergency blanket, tow rope etc. ready diluted screen wash and a squeegee/scraper. But now I've run out of ideas.

All help gratefully received. :D
Not sure if a good heavy duty set of Jump leads has been mentioned. Weight is a good indicator on quality with these. Usually heavier means more copper!

I always keep a few cheap plastic rain ponchos in my kit. they cost next to nothing and are good for passnegers or just other motorists if you are helping someone

Air compressor. You can reinflate a slow(ish) puncutre and get yourself to somewhere safer to change a wheel

Disposable hand warmers are nice in inter if you get stuck and get cold and wet digging the car out

I always used to carry a toolkit and some wire, fuses, bulbs, fan belt etc but with modern cars its becoming less likely I can do anything with them.

A tarp is useful. Shade in the summer. Shelter from rain. Stretch over a side door and trap it in the door if a window gets broken. Something to kneel on when changing a wheel.
SpaceRanger

Post by SpaceRanger »

Just in case its been overlooked:

Maps - paper ones incase your phone dies

Speaking of Phones - I keep a small portable phone charger in the glove box - its enough to get your phone from dead to alive and make a call to emergency services

I also keep a small stash of Energy Bars / Protein Bars - always handy for long journeys, and for me if im travelling in the car with work - good to have when I cant stop for a decent meal

Glow Sticks

Blanket

Spare Change - if phone is dead and the charger is dead - spare change to make some calls
(I also keep a small notepad in the glove box - in here are a few family numbers - I cant always remember everyone's phone number, so useful to have)

Overall tho - a good list is now starting to emerge from everyone's comments here.

My next question would be - what do you plan to keep it all in? I ask this as im looking into getting some Pelicases - A large one for the car maybe to keep a tool kit in and some other bits. This alongside my BOB.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

Thanks everyone the kit is coming together nicely.
I'm fortunate that my little car has a split boot so every thing for keeping me going will go in the lower boot. If I open the boot it looks empty lol. :)

Anything I need to carry away is in my rucksack ready to go the rest can stay with the car!

This isn't a bug out kit or for TEOTWAWKI it's for getting me to civilisation if my car breaks down up here in rural north west :D

I will add photos once it's complete.
Forewarned is forearmed
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I've been having a good think about my car EDC lately. It makes sense to add a few bits and bobs to my car too, especially with my kids. I think I'll assume I have my usual EDC, (keys, wallet, phone and pocket organiser) and make up a bag of bits from all my spares to put in there.

Someone should knock up a definitive car carry list. Unless there already is one somewhere...
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

SpaceRanger wrote: Spare Change - if phone is dead and the charger is dead - spare change to make some calls
Where would you use change to make a call these days?
Are there still phone boxes around?
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hoipoloi wrote:
SpaceRanger wrote: Spare Change - if phone is dead and the charger is dead - spare change to make some calls
Where would you use change to make a call these days?
Are there still phone boxes around?
Several of our local stations have them and there are at least three (working) in my village.
The downside is the last time I used one there was a minimum charge of 60p and "Help, I'm stuck " doesn't need a twenty minute call :evil:

Coins are still useful for vending machines and some public toilets. I carry £5 in 20 p's and another quid in 10's

I wouldn't use a Pelican as the container though, every tealeaf knows that expensive things are stored in Peli's and even car glass is still glass (avoid those metal camera cases for the same reason)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

RAC recommend a shovel to be kept in your car kit - I presume only a little foldable one, but why?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.