EDC update and dilemma

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
dangerman

EDC update and dilemma

Post by dangerman »

Hello!

My last post about my 'EDC' I later realised wasn't an EDC, even though I did lug it around with me everywhere. It was really some sort of bug out bag-EDC hybrid. There was too much stuff that I realised I never used, nor was I likely to use. My vision was that it was supposed to be a small bag inside my normal bag, which would make it a simple matter of swapping out my essential kit into any other bag I was using, or could be carried on it's own, but in fact the Remora is quite big and bulky even when empty. My work bag feels so full and heavy when I've got it stuffed inside, and because of it's awkward shape it presses (and I'm worry may eventually break) my laptop. I also posted about my 'micro EDC', which is probably classed as a normal EDC by most. But I've been changing things around.

I've now got the Maxpedition Vulture II backpack, Maxpedition Mini pocket organiser and Maxpedition Spartan Wallet to compliment my fake/copy Maxpedition Remora. I've done a bit of overkill on my Maxpedition stuff in retrospect. But there doesn't seem to be many companies who offer the same kind of thing, so meh. I'll probably buy more.

Here is my most current EDC picture:

It's actually been changed quite a lot since then. My pen light button kept getting pushed so the battery died, so I replaced with my USB rechargeable LED. Also, the tactical pen was overkill and massive, so I swapped for a humble biro. There were a few other minor changes too, but this is pretty much the package.

What I've realised though, is that carrying all my stuff in winter is easy. There are more pockets available for my keys, wallet, phone and EDC. But in summer (and while I'm on holiday) I'm usually wearing shirt and shorts leaving me with nowhere to put stuff. I also realised that the one thing that I need to carry most is food and water. I'm constantly running out of food while out and I end up buying expensive and unhealthy fast food. So what I need is a small, easy to carry, subtle carrying solution for my protein flapjacks, nuts and bottle/flask.

I was thinking a bum-bag would be perfect. But I'm not sure that I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to wear one of those. I have been experimenting today with carrying my Remora copy bag while I walked up Rivvy Pike and it seems ok. Has everything in it that I need, but feels and (according to my wife) looks like a ladies novelty handbag. That's not subtle. Also, it's the bulk factor. I need something slimline and light to be able to fit it into my bigger bag.

Any ideas?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Re: EDC update and dilemma

Post by dangerman »

Well I went for a packable Vango 15L backpack from go outdoors. I can use it like a small Russian doll for my every day kit and it takes up no space, weighs nout and should anonymously fit itself into my other work bag.

I'll stick some photos up later. It doesn't look terribly good quality, but it has good capacity I'll see how it goes. If it fails then go outdoors should give me my money back.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Ok sorted, this seems to be working for me now. I've set up my modular system and I've been functioning with it for a while now. In fact, there's a bloke on youtube called Zed Outdoors who does an EDC video and, after I'd figured this out for myself, I spotted that his is identical to what I was trying to do. Although mine is better because my small EDC bag is super light and is packable, which means that when thrown into my main bag it's not noticeable in the slightest.

I've included everything that I had on me today, but I don't always carry the Lansky... Just in case someone doesn't like that idea.

Pocket carry...

As you can see, I've got the SAK Mini Champ (a recent upgrade from a very simple mini SAK), a bit of crappy homemade paracord (that I will probably get rid of soon) and a leatherman brewzer.

This is what my wife did to my car key prying a paint tin. And this is why I bought the brewzer.

Not sure if you can tell, but it's very bent. Costs a small fortune to replace and it's my only one.

In the wallet I carry a shed ton of useful bits and pieces. The spare phone battery (specific charger at home), torch and the pen get used most, the little multitool only ever a couple of times. I have a spare contact lens, some paper, some back up 'emergency' fivers hidden in random pockets and a spare battery for the torch. I also have a medical card with personal info and emergency contact info in it, but it's not in the picture. I have a lazzy band in it, a tooth floss stick, a button compass, a mini USB charging cable, a 64gb micro USB with an SD adapter (with a library of books and photos and bits and bobs on it), a spare pound coin and some bits of paper. This wallet is a tardis.

The Phone is an LG G3 and I use it for everything - fantastic thing it is. A billion times better than an iPhone.

And here is my bag that I take whenever I'm out for the day.

In the pocket organiser is... Well a shed load of stuff.

Any suggestions to improve?

This is working well for me so far. I'll add an extra couple of photos next time I take my big bag to work or uni. That one will carry all this stuff, plus even more food and drink options, plus my laptop etc.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

Firstly I recommend carry a piece of food that is lighter on the stomach (crackers, honey, etc), in times of panic you wont want to eat but should. Having something lighter will make it easier for you. Secondly I recommend anti-theft items, such as lock for your bag zips and a wire which attaches your key set to your trousers.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I'm not really a fan of sweet sugary things, these protein flapjacks are a meals worth of calories (about 297 calories I think) but they're not too sweet. Probably because there is no sugar in it, or very little. I sometimes stick Aldi pepparami type things in my bag, they're a good snack.

Good call on the zip lock thing, there is quite a lot of valuable stuff in there. What security options are there for my bag then? I would have a little lock on it, but I don't want to make it too difficult for me to get into. I'm in and out of it all the time, it's my man-bag.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

I think there are snaps you can add to the pulls of the zippers which make a really loud pop when opened, I cant remember what they are called right now so I will look about for you. There is also one were it makes it harder but makes no sound, for if you wanna be stealthy.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Sounds like a brilliant idea mate. I'll have a look around too and see what's available.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I do the modular thing too:

- Pencil case: pens, pencils, sharpener, rubber, USB cable, co-codamol, loperamide, headphones, metre of gaffer tape wrapped around a carpenter's pencil, lighter, SD card adapter, USB sticks, few quid in change

- Season ticket with spare 20 quid in it - always in my pocket, in the event of a real fire alarm at work I can at least get home

- Wallet with the usual too-many loyalty cards, library cards, mementoes, photo of darling wife, and spare 50 quid in a zipped pocket

- Small FAK with the usual

- Victorinox pouch with SAK, torch, lighter, sim cards

- All the above goes into a rucksack, which also contains 2 head torches, spare batteries, British Army penknife, more painkillers, bottle of water, couple of flapjacks or similar, wet wipes, tissues, spare strong plastic bag ("Avoska" in Russian, for what Fate ("Avos") might throw your way), business cards, notebook, etc. etc.

However, when I don't want to carry the rucksack e.g. when I'm in the field for work going around villages etc. I put it all into a ginormous jute shopping bag 50x40x15cm with carry handles and shoulder straps. This bag swallows an enormous amount of stuff, is easier to carry in most situations, is really tough, and doesn't look so desirable. I've just worked out it has a 30l volume, so actually bigger than my rucksack : )
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

featherstick wrote:I do the modular thing too:

- Pencil case: pens, pencils, sharpener, rubber, USB cable, co-codamol, loperamide, headphones, metre of gaffer tape wrapped around a carpenter's pencil, lighter, SD card adapter, USB sticks, few quid in change

- Season ticket with spare 20 quid in it - always in my pocket, in the event of a real fire alarm at work I can at least get home

- Wallet with the usual too-many loyalty cards, library cards, mementoes, photo of darling wife, and spare 50 quid in a zipped pocket

- All the above goes into a rucksack, which also contains 2 head torches, spare batteries, British Army penknife, more painkillers, bottle of water, couple of flapjacks or similar, wet wipes, tissues, spare strong plastic bag ("Avoska" in Russian, for what Fate ("Avos") might throw your way), business cards, notebook, etc. etc.

However, when I don't want to carry the rucksack e.g. when I'm in the field for work going around villages etc. I put it all into a ginormous jute shopping bag 50x40x15cm with carry handles and shoulder straps. This bag swallows an enormous amount of stuff, is easier to carry in most situations, is really tough, and doesn't look so desirable. I've just worked out it has a 30l volume, so actually bigger than my rucksack : )
Sounds ace that mate. Similar to mine but you seem to have more head torches. And I think I'd rather walk for the several hours to get home rather than get public transport. But that's just me. ;)

Pencil case is a good cheap solution to stick all the little fiddly things into that don't go into the pocket organiser - the packable bag doesn't have any pockets inside it.

Any pics?
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

featherstick wrote:I do the modular thing too:

Sounds ace that mate. Similar to mine but you seem to have more head torches. And I think I'd rather walk for the several hours to get home rather than get public transport. But that's just me. ;)

Pencil case is a good cheap solution to stick all the little fiddly things into that don't go into the pocket organiser - the packable bag doesn't have any pockets inside it.

Any pics?