Alice or molle GHB?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
butterbean

Alice or molle GHB?

Post by butterbean »

Hello again

Today I took the wife, niece and nephew to Dudley zoo for the day, used my normal backpack that i have been turning into my GHB. just a normal non military style bag that was my work bag but had to use today as my out of work bag broke whilst camping the other week. plenty of room and pockets for what I have but not big enough for everything I eventually want. Using it for work back and forth it's been great, after lugging it around today it's really done my back in with quite a bit of weight in.

Been looking online tonight for a remedy to this, new bag time (wife has approved this decision) but after looking I'm now confused as what to go for in terms of molle or Alice, I like the look of molle but there seems to be people loving the Alice online just as much

Just wondering on people's preferences on this, it's to be my GHB and needs to have a weeks worth stuff in, I work too far from home to get home in 72 hours so it's more a 168 hour bag
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
pseudonym

Re: Alice or molle GHB?

Post by pseudonym »

Horses for courses.

You need to try before you buy a new bergen.

It needs to fit your back size and be comfortable for you.

It needs to be full of kit when you do this.

Reputable shops will allow you to do all of the above.

I swear by Berghaus, It is all I have used or owned for 25+ years.

There are other makes out there, all with there own merits but....

I only retired my first one last year (front left).

The new Centrino range ( Right front and rear) from Berghaus has molle on the front and the MMPS side pouches are interchangable between the Centrino 30,40 and 90/20 to give you the option of having 30,40,50,60,90 or 110 litres.

HTH. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I had an Alice but swapped it in about a year ago for a Rush 72. Comfort was a primary factor but I also disliked the popper closure on the pouches, these are not secure. I carry a few gadgets, a tablet and gps and the Alice had no padded secure pouches or compartments for these.

I'd say have a good shop around to find what suits you best but for me, it's the Rush 72.

Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

thanks both,

pseudonym - can you tell me somewhere that might sell these? a chain or shops or something? the only berghaus ones i can find are the multicoloured camping and hiking ones.

briggs - ive loved the look of the rush 72 for a longtime but im wondering if the price is worth it and if its a long enough bag for me, im 6'3 (regular leg length and long in the back) . thats something i would defo have to try out, is that the 24 next to it?
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Next to the Rush 72 is a Moab 10.

I'm 6 3 and 46 chest and it fits me very well. I'd say its worth it. Apart from the great fit the features I like are the multiple inner pockets and compartments. For everyday urban use I think I'd go for the black or the new grey one they do.

If you are ever down Devon way you're welcome to try it.

My EDC/GHB was the MOAB 10 but my daughter's commandeered that so I'm using a COVRT18 now. This a great day pack/GHB size but it's not as big or robust as the 72. Trust me, I'm not a 5.11 sales rep, I just find a make that works for me and I tend to stick with it, like Pseudonym and Berghaus.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

instead of working ive just spent some time looking up the berghaus and the 5.11. i can see myself liking and using both, so rather than complicate things more im planning on going to look and try on just those 2 brands, kind of narrows down the decision, from what i have read now i think im more swayed to molle anyway.

1 thing i do like about the molle now im looking into it is how i can keep something on my EDC and easily remove that part for my GHB.

i suppose i better get saving some cash, its not like there the cheapest of bags. but i suppose you get what you pay for.

i do like the look of the different size pouches and stuff you can get within the 5.11 range

am i right in assuming molle is interchangeable between brands? if i end up with the rush 72 but see a molle pouch that is an army issue rand or something, i can still use it?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Hi BB, yep you are right molle is totaly interchangeable (is that a word?) I have a 5.11 Rush 24 and a tactical Rush 6 MOAB which can be strapped to any of the molle range of bags, must say, like others on the site very impressed with the quality and attention to the tiniest of detals also mine are all black as my feeling was to look as "grey" as poss if necessary, I use both of mine regularly but looking at the Covert 18 for gym use ,hope that helps.

almost forgot the link.

http://www.nightgear.co.uk/Military-Bag ... l12014.htm
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.' Area 4
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'm liking the new Storm colour on the Rush 72, it's very Grey Man. Add a MOAB 6 or 10 and you'd be well set up. The linking straps to join those together come with the MOAB pack.

I am using a COVRT 18 for everyday use. I winced at the price but it is a quality pack with heaps of storage and adaptability.

Maybe if I convince my wife she needs my Sandstone 72 then I can get the Storm colour..... Hmmmmm
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

i hope interchangeable is a word, i use it more often than i should as it is, i'd hate to think the word i over use isn't even a real word.

after looking at the rush range I'm loving the storm colour, i think that would be the way to go for me, although i like things to be kept the same colour, and they don't seem to have a huge range of pouches in the same colour, so i would have to think long and hard about the colouring if i do decide on that bag