Mincemeat

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
lowlander

Mincemeat

Post by lowlander »

As requested, posting my mincemeat recipe here; it's lifted off my blog, so has extra uses and variations added. Hope it's useful :)

Mincemeat is a very useful standby to have in the store cupboards, with other uses apart from the ubiquitous mince pies. It was originally made with finely chopped meat, with the spices used to disguise the often less than fresh flavour. There was a bit of a revival of this a few years back, but it's not something I've tried. There will be info out there on the net I should think if you fancy giving it a go.

It's also a very adaptable recipe - different tastes will be got from using different apples, different sugar, choice of alcohol, etc.

Worth making a big batch as it has many uses.

This is my rather loose, adaptable recipe:

3lbs mixed dried fruit

1 1/2 lbs apples, peeled and diced

1lb sugar

12oz suet

good tablespoon of mixed spice

zest and juice of two lemons

about a quarter bottle of brandy

Mix everything together very thoroughly in a large bowl, cover and leave overnight for flavours to develop. Spoon into prepared jars, seal and label, store in a cool, dry dark place for at least six weeks before use.

Variations:

- coarsely grate the apple for a different texture

- vary the liquid, try whisky or rum, or orange/cranberry juice

- add chopped glace cherries

- add chopped nuts; I've found almonds to be best

- vary the spices/amount of spices to taste.

- add grated quince (quincemeat), gives a good flavour

Uses in addition to mince pies:

- add a spoonful or two to apple crumbles or apple pies

- add a big spoonful to a plain cake using the rubbed in method

- use in proper muffins

- warm it gently and have it with icecream

- use it to stuff baked apples

- make mincemeat brandy, strain well after steeping, then use the boozy mincemeat too (not tried)

- have it warmed with pancakes

- use between two layers of pastry for a fruit slice

- bake with puff pastry like a sort of Eccles cake

- use in a Chelsea bun recipe

It will keep for several years if made correctly and stored well, and definitely improves with age.
Arzosah

Re: Mincemeat

Post by Arzosah »

Great post! I've made a fairly standard mincemeat in the past, with chopped cranberries and ground almonds thrown in. And I've been known to put a dessertspoon of it into my porridge :D
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

My mincemeat always gets chopped tinned pineapple in it and no suet. Meat based mincemeat sounds less crazy if you call it "spiced lamb with apricots". (replace with fruit name to suit) We tried making some and it tasted vaguely like a rice free biryani pie.

And when you realise in late January that you really did make rather too much of the stuff, there is always Mincemeat Cake.

Mincemeat cake
Ingredients
250g SR flour (also works with GF flour or buckwheat flour with 2 tsp baking powder)
2 eggs (or 100g apple sauce for the egg free version)
25g flaked almonds
125g  light brown soft sugar
75g  raisins
125g oil
450 g jar mincemeat
50ml ginger wine (optional)

Directions
Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3 (fan oven 145°C) and grease and line with greaseproof paper an 8 inch (20cm) round cake tin.

Place all the ingredients, except the almonds, in a large bowl and beat well for 1 minute or until well blended. (Add enough milk/soymilk to make a thick pouring batter if using gluten free flour.)

Turn into the prepared tin, smooth the top and then sprinkle over the almonds.

Bake in the oven for about 1 ¾ hours (reduce for fan) until the cake is golden brown and shrinking away from the sides of the tin.
Leave to cool in the tin before removing the paper.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not keen on mince pies as such - but great idea re chelsea buns lowlander, I could do that! :mrgreen:
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Great post :) Also don't forget now is the time to be making (or have made) your xmas fruit cake to let them mature for xmas.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm glad I asked....... Hungry now ;)

Are the jars heat treated or are you relying on on the mixture being too hostile to the 'bugs' (acid,sugar and alcohol)?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have always just relied on the alcohol. The worst that ever happened was one batch that decided to ferment and go slightly fizzy. It still tasted fine so we just cooked it thoroughly.
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

No heat treatment for mincemeat necessary - the sugar and lemon (and alcohol if used) is quite enough to preserve it all safely. I've spent years and years on the internet trying to convince U.S. preservers that they don't need to "can" their jams, jellies and pickles. I'll never win that one though :lol:

I don't celebrate Christmas, so no special cake or pudding made here; fruit cake is made all year round though.