Seitan Dupiaza

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jennyjj01

Seitan Dupiaza

Post by jennyjj01 »

Another shoutout for Seitan 'Fake Chicken'

This doesn't qualify for the thread 'From ration list to meal plan' because it had fresh ingredients. But I thought I'd share anyway as a test of this meat substitute.

Recall that last week, I made 8 portions of Chickpea Seitan I substituted in chicken stock. I froze most of it.

Tonight I defrosted two portions and used it to substitute the chicken in this recipe from Al's kitchen

It's a bit daunting in that we are looking at a recipe within a recipe within a recipe. That's the way of component construction of Indian Takeaway meals. Each step is actually dead simple and fits well with batch cooking and freezing.

Fresh ingredients were needed. Tomatoes, a Pepper and an Onion and a bit of coriander from my garden..

Observations.
This was all about using Seitan in a time of meat shortage.
It would work well just as a regular vegetarian meal.
Don't expect exact chicken replication.

Results.
Made 3 generous portions.
If a Real takeaway Real chicken Dupiaza is 10/10, I'd rate this an easy 7/10 with 1.5/10 being lost by the seitan substitution and the rest lost to my cooking.
MrJ Found it acceptable and thought I'd used real minced chicken. He gave 6.5/10, dockin 2/10 for not being real chicken.
The Seitan was much like something made from minced chicken. It did have a decent texture, but not like meat muscle. Colour was good.
The seiten was better than soya chunks. A little bit spongy but not in a bad way. It already had a slight chicken flavour and soaked in the curry flavours well.

Conclusion.
A bit of a cheat using fresh veg, but this proved the flexibility of seitan.
Make and freeze a batch of seitan for your freezer. use it fearlessly.
Next recipe will probably be seitan samosas. I also plan to try using lamb oxo to try to make some fake lamb.
Success.
Attachments
seitan dupiaza.jpg
chunk.jpg
seitan dupiaza.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Re: Seitan Dupiaza

Post by jansman »

Thanks for that Jenny. We just love a good curry . However,my wife doesn’t eat chicken anymore ( because we keep the real thing), so she uses paneer cheese. Your recipe will make a nice change. I still eat meat by the way in my curry,but I will give this a go.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Seitan Dupiaza

Post by pseudonym »

Very nice, I used to love a good curry. Shame it's off my list due to carbs/sugar levels.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.