bannock bread (stolen off Facebook)

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Yorkshire Andy

bannock bread (stolen off Facebook)

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Garlic & Onion Bannock Bread using a Trangia

Self Raising flour
Onion Salt
Garlic powder
Mixed herbs
Natural yogurt
Baking powder

I have been playing in the garden tonight and made a delicious version of Bannock bread that is light, fluffy and full of flavour.

I mixed together a few handfuls of SR flour with about 1/4 tsp of Garlic powder and about the same amount of Onion salt, added 1/2 tsp of Baking powder and a pinch of Mixed herbs, then added natural yogurt ( Tesco low fat natural yogurt) as the liquid ( no water or other liquids) I kneeded the dough for a few minites and divided it into two.

I then put the dough on the Trangia frying pan and covered the dough with one of the Trangia pots, so it acted like an oven.

When baked, I broke and buttered the bread and it tasted realy great, I gave some to the Wife and after tasting it her instant response was " anymore of this going? "

So now I am sitting in the garden in the dark, baking more bread.

Screenshot_20180905-071741.png
Screenshot_20180905-071747.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Re: bannock bread (stolen off Facebook)

Post by grenfell »

Funnily enough a couple of weekends ago we were at a re-enactment and it rained pretty much all day so my daughter and her friend decided to stay under the awning and make bread. They used the fire tray ( almost basically a metal table that keeps the fire off the ground to avoid damaging the grass) and a heated upturned cast iron cauldron. For their first effort of doing it this way ( mine has baked bread at home in a conventional oven) it turned out really very nice and only one little bun was overcooked . All I need to do now is to train them to do the washing up afterwards...
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Ooh sounds yum! I usually go for a slightly sweet scone like bannock bread, but this sounds like it could be garlic bread.....!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Funnily enough my daughter did add some honey to one mix and it came out very nice. Would have made some more if they'd managed to keep it all in the jar rather than tipped onto a field in Derbyshire :roll:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

That looks so tasty, something to try on my next weekend off.
Growing old disgracefully!