Boston Baked Beans

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Boston Baked Beans

Post by jansman »

We have been looking for some new grub here at Chez Jansman and we found a little gem! It is not only lovely,but it fits right in with grub we store.

The recipe calls for you to soak some cannellini beans and boiling them up with a ham hock,which you then shred up and put together in a casserole dish.We used tinned beans and frozen ham chunks.I reckon you could use Spam ( added late on),or you could leave it meatless of course.

So...beans and meat in casserole dish( you could do this on the hob too,or camp stove!) Chuck in a chopped onion,a carton of tomato passata or chopped tomatoes,a good dollop of tomato purée, a dollop of French mustard,a slug of Worcester sauce,a pinch of sugar to taste and a twist of pepper.Bang it in the oven for a hour or so,or simmer it on the hob,covered.Give it a stir every now and again.make sure it doesn't dry out.

Serve with pasta ( we used macaroni) or rice,or Mrs J said mash spuds.Its lovely!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Re: Boston Baked Beans

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Couple of other meat options for that, dewhurst make pulled pork in barbecue sauce in a tin, I get it from Poundland, a bit heavy on the sauce but that would be no bad thing in beans, and you can get cured pork knuckle in a can in the polish section of supermarkets, bit like spam but with recognisable chunks of meat in it.
Worth trying a tin or two, I've been adding them to my stores.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The Polish job sounds interesting.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It's nice actually, I was looking for tushonka (pork slow cooked in lard) and I came across it in my local Asda, it's in a kind of loaf in the can as you'd expect, but it's nowhere near as processed as luncheon meat, very spam like flavour but a little nicer. I think it's called golonkowa.
Open the can over the sink, it has some juice in it and I got covered in it!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Oh yes! I use whatever beans I have (apart from kidney beans, doesn't work so well with them!) Very good with butter beans or borlotti beans. I vary the sauce too, sometimes it's what the Brambling calls Blazing Saddles.... Tomatoey and spicy barbecue with a mattesons sausage other times more traditional ham hock and molasses. The possibilities are endless!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Oh yes! I use whatever beans I have (apart from kidney beans, doesn't work so well with them!) Very good with butter beans or borlotti beans. I vary the sauce too, sometimes it's what the Brambling calls Blazing Saddles.... Tomatoey and spicy barbecue with a mattesons sausage other times more traditional ham hock and molasses. The possibilities are endless!
It called for molasses, but we had none,and it would be too sweet for our tastes. I like your variation Brambles.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Another favourite, which would fit in with your Mediterranean vibe J is a dish I make with any cooked white bean, sweat some finely chopped onion and garlic in a good glug of olive oil, add a couple of peeled chopped fresh tomatoes to make a sauce and cook til tomatoes are soft then tear up a few basil leaves and season.. Mix with cooked beans and serve with whatever takes your fancy. We like it with a couple of lightly poached eggs on top and a nice crusty roll for lunch.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Another favourite, which would fit in with your Mediterranean vibe J is a dish I make with any cooked white bean, sweat some finely chopped onion and garlic in a good glug of olive oil, add a couple of peeled chopped fresh tomatoes to make a sauce and cook til tomatoes are soft then tear up a few basil leaves and season.. Mix with cooked beans and serve with whatever takes your fancy. We like it with a couple of lightly poached eggs on top and a nice crusty roll for lunch.
Wow! That's on the list for this week! Thank you Brambles.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very nice by the way.It's on the favourite list now. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
omega man

Post by omega man »

looks lovely :D

reminds me of one of our favorites from slimming world.. Campfire stew = http://slimmingworldrecipeshare.blogspo ... ooker.html

Good to knock up a mega batch in the pressure cooker and drop into chinky tubs for later portions !!