Magic Bread recipe

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
featherstick

Magic Bread recipe

Post by featherstick »

250 gm plain flour
250 gm strong white bread flour (wholemeal and granary also work but not as well)
1.5 tsp dried fast action yeast (approx 1/2 sachet)
325ml warm water
2 tbsp oil
3/4 tsp salt

Mix together in a bowl until comes together, turn out onto a floured surface and continue to knead. It's a wet mixture so try not to add too much flour to it while kneading.

Leave to rise until it doubles in size, punch down, let rest for five minutes and then use.

This makes FANTASTIC flatbreads and pitta bread if you simply roll it out and fry on a hot pan with a smear of oil. It also makes very good pizza base, and nice buns. It's a bit too loose for loaves. Our favourite use is to get it going in the morning, do some shopping or whatever, then have it as wraps for lunch, fresh off the pan. The sky is the limit when it comes to fillings, I recently used some left-over baked squash, with grated cheese and a swipe of chutney - it worked really well.
Arzosah

Re: Magic Bread recipe

Post by Arzosah »

Found it, Featherstick :)

I'll tell you why this one passed me by - because of the yeast and the necessity of using wheat flour. Because of my iffy innards, those are two items I never intend to get to grips with, sorry! But I can see it would be a fantastic recipe for pizza, a bit like the Turkish "pide" - amazing stuff.
nickdutch

Re: Magic Bread recipe

Post by nickdutch »

Arzosah wrote:Found it, Featherstick :)

I'll tell you why this one passed me by - because of the yeast and the necessity of using wheat flour. Because of my iffy innards, those are two items I never intend to get to grips with, sorry! But I can see it would be a fantastic recipe for pizza, a bit like the Turkish "pide" - amazing stuff.
Just stick with Gram Flour and Urid Dal lentils for flat breads (pancakey things) and enjoy that :) It does its job
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks