tinned meals

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
bob the builder

tinned meals

Post by bob the builder »

As most of us use tins as the back bone of our prepping and maybe I missed it but thought a thread on tinned meal recipes would be good also a way to help rotation. Try to stick to one pot meals as this reduces the amount of fuel you use cooking and dishes lol

Tinned mince, tinned potatoes and a tin of beans all in one pot heat and eat quite tasty and cheap end of month meal to feed 2.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
Plymtom

Re: tinned meals

Post by Plymtom »

I have lots of tins, chicken chunks, meat balls, mince, and cooked meats for sure, but also plenty of tomatoes, for they contain enough fluid to add to dried foods like pasta and savoury rice type stuff, tinned curries, chilli con carne, spag bol, so it's not just the tinned stuff it's what you can put it with.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
PaganPrepper

Post by PaganPrepper »

bob the builder wrote:As most of us use tins as the back bone of our prepping and maybe I missed it but thought a thread on tinned meal recipes would be good also a way to help rotation. Try to stick to one pot meals as this reduces the amount of fuel you use cooking and dishes lol

Tinned mince, tinned potatoes and a tin of beans all in one pot heat and eat quite tasty and cheap end of month meal to feed 2.
once a week me and the mrs are having a canned food / stash food only main meal, to help rotate stock but also to see what we can come up with should we need to use the supplies on a regular basis. All cooked over a fire in garden.

a couple of easy meals I've come up with so far are
1) chicken pasta with canned meat, chicken soup, canned mushrooms and some of the pasta we have stashed away
2) cottage pie from canned mince, canned veg and canned spuds with a simple flat bread from our flour, powdered milk and honey stash
3) canned hotdogs wrapped in the simple flat bread with a spicy canned tomato sauce
4) canned chicken curry with rice and flat breads - cook the rice first then add the canned meat to the same pot, with canned tom's and spices
5) canned beef chillie and rice, same as above cook rice then add the meat, spices, mixed beans and tomatos
6) honey glazed canned ham with canned veg and wild picked fruit - the ham will be glazed over the fire rather than in a pan

the mrs is a fussy eater so it's hard for me as the house hold cook to come up with nice tasty meals in a regular basis but also from canned stuff!
Ragdolly

Post by Ragdolly »

Try a fish pie:

Canned tuna, canned peas, mushroom soup - mix it together. Season. Bung it in a Pyrex. Layer top with instant mash ( or fresh from the garden when you have them).

Heat it through and brown the top.

Great with a chunk of crusty bread ( make your own) and fresh butter.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I would make a pasta dish, swirls or penne pasta, add small tin sweet corn, dried onions, garlic, herbs, tin chopped tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, salt, pepper and serve with parmesan cheese over the top and crusty bread.

If you have any fresh cheese then add small cubes to the mix and it melts into the sauce mmmm!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Tin of potatoes,
tin of peas,
tin of kidney beans.
Squirt of tomato puree from a tube,
sprinkle of stock.

Cook on a hob or stove. Cost about 50p using tesco value stuff. Filling and tasty. If you use more water and mushy peas instead of regular garden peas and chop the potatoes up, you end up with a soup. Its thick, viscous, nourishing (but not madly good on the micronutrients to be sure), warm and filling. Just make sure you cook the potatoes thoroughly though.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
nzbred

Post by nzbred »

For the life of me,i cant find any tinned mince from any of my local stores.As a family,we eat quite alot of mince in various different meals so its a bit of a stable to us as a family so would like to stock up on a tinned variety.the only things i can find are the tinned ''chilli con carne'' or ''spag bol'' ready meal tins. surely there is a ''just mince'' tinned variety,no?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Tesco, "tinned meat pie fillings"
Sainsbury's also has an Own Brand..... Not found any others in the last ten minutes
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

nzbred wrote:For the life of me,i cant find any tinned mince from any of my local stores.As a family,we eat quite alot of mince in various different meals so its a bit of a stable to us as a family so would like to stock up on a tinned variety.the only things i can find are the tinned ''chilli con carne'' or ''spag bol'' ready meal tins. surely there is a ''just mince'' tinned variety,no?

If you have a dehydrator you can cook mince ( and other meat) and dehydrate it. You can dehydrate stews and chili etc as well.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

PaganPrepper wrote:
bob the builder wrote:As most of us use tins as the back bone of our prepping and maybe I missed it but thought a thread on tinned meal recipes would be good also a way to help rotation. Try to stick to one pot meals as this reduces the amount of fuel you use cooking and dishes lol

once a week me and the mrs are having a canned food / stash food only main meal, to help rotate stock but also to see what we can come up with should we need to use the supplies on a regular basis. All cooked over a fire in garden.

a couple of easy meals I've come up with so far are
1) chicken pasta with canned meat, chicken soup, canned mushrooms and some of the pasta we have stashed away
2) cottage pie from canned mince, canned veg and canned spuds with a simple flat bread from our flour, powdered milk and honey stash
3) canned hotdogs wrapped in the simple flat bread with a spicy canned tomato sauce
4) canned chicken curry with rice and flat breads - cook the rice first then add the canned meat to the same pot, with canned tom's and spices
5) canned beef chillie and rice, same as above cook rice then add the meat, spices, mixed beans and tomatos
6) honey glazed canned ham with canned veg and wild picked fruit - the ham will be glazed over the fire rather than in a pan

the mrs is a fussy eater so it's hard for me as the house hold cook to come up with nice tasty meals in a regular basis but also from canned stuff!
PaganPrepper, any chance of a recipe, that sounds absolutely delicious
Knowledge is power