DIY Solar Panels

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Nat Silver

DIY Solar Panels

Post by Nat Silver »

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this or in Equipment.

Anyway, i looking for anyone that has got any experience or knowledge of how to make their own solar panels. I'm thinking of both PV - Photo-Voltaic (producing electricity) and a hot-water central heating/immersion system.

Regards
Hamradioop

Re: DIY Solar Panels

Post by Hamradioop »

Nat Silver wrote:Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this or in Equipment.

Anyway, i looking for anyone that has got any experience or knowledge of how to make their own solar panels. I'm thinking of both PV - Photo-Voltaic (producing electricity) and a hot-water central heating/immersion system.

Regards

Not sure what you mean, making solar panels or assembling a system?
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

PV panels can be bought up on ebay, might need a bit of work to assemble though, there are a few people on here who have experience in doing so.

Solar water heaters are easy enough to make, an old radiator possibly, but being steel might cause a problem, but using a long coil of micro-bore tube an old window and some polystyrene will get you hot water in limited quantities on a warm day.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

There's quite a few topics around on google but as things have progressed you may be better looking for some you can buy now as prices have dropped significantly and purchased ones from reputable firms will definitely outperform home made. Depends if you want to move towards this being a primary source of electricity and heat or not.
piglet

Post by piglet »

:idea:
Some info in the book 'Solar energy projects for the evil genius'
Regularly sold on Ebay.
Or...........
Google the book and you may well find another option on a similar site to this.

piglet
ain't settlin'
Manclife

Post by Manclife »

There's some government scheme where you can get a loan out for different energy saving ideas one being Solar Panels. You pay the same bills as before but the savings you would have made go to pay off your loan. I'm looking into it at the moment. Bearing in mind a 4kw system that will supply a families need costs about £7000 it could be a good long term investment. With the cost of energy going up all the time it could be paid off quicker than you think.