Training your pets to be assets

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Rusty74

Re: Training your pets to be assets

Post by Rusty74 »

old thread but would like to see posts here now if that ok???

as a teenager always had terriers and long hair jack russels for rabbiting and ratting,last 30 years german shepards and always bitches as more loyal and always been with me from a pup inculding taking them to work with me,got one now at 9yrs old and one at 6yrs old they learn off the older dog,as for cats 5 n cat flap going this year out of back door fed up of presants in back kitchen every morning from poppy the best hunter rabbits included lol...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It suddenly occurs to me (I sometimes hear scrabbling at the base of the join between my house and the built-on porch) that having a dog as a ratter might be a really good thing ...
jansman

Post by jansman »

I used to keep a team of Russells and black Lakies in the 80’s and 90’s. We ratted, dug foxes, and whilst legal, we moved badgers for dairy farmers. I also kept lurchers ( greyhound/ border collie cross. With those we caught many hundreds, if not thousands of rabbits. My best dog was mustard on foxes, and we would run down deer too.Damned good guard dog too. The money from pelts went a very good way towards the deposit on our house.

Now, We have cats. Sure , they catch a few mice and such. Our terrier though,can pre- empt the smoke alarm! He can also sense strangers. Still love a hunting dog though!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Yorkshire terrier here at the moment, previously two German Shepherds, yes I know that's quite a come down, but we did inherit the Yorky in our defence.

That being said he can be a nasty little bugger to strangers and can hear a pin drop at a 1000 yards at night, although with the Shepherds no one came near us if we didnt want them to, they were very, VERY well trained (by us) with help from a friend at the Hertfordshire Police dog training school.

Oh no im getting dog broody again. :o :shock: :?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
redskies

Post by redskies »

Ten year old Border Collie, who is a barky bugger, and a 7mth old Malinois who is being taught that she doesn't need to go orbital at the mere sound of a garden gate, it's absolutely fine to give a wee rumble and I'll decide if she needs to worry about it from there.

Saying that, she is going to be a spectacular guard dog, she's got a hell of a resonance to her bark already, looks & sounds very scary if you don't know her. If she doesn't put someone off breaking in, I think they may well change their mind when they get a look at her!
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We have 3 dogs. Two we picked and one picked us. Shih Tzu x Yorkie, failed foster dog who actually thinks his name is d*#khead. World''s most annoying dog but dog of a lifetime. His roll in a SHTF situation is to be staked out like the goat in Jurassic Park so that we will know if anything that could eat us is close :D
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I have two cats. One makes a fantastic hot water bottle. The other one savages feet.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 pm I have two cats. One makes a fantastic hot water bottle. The other one savages feet.
Which one to eat first sorted.... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:46 am
Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 pm I have two cats. One makes a fantastic hot water bottle. The other one savages feet.
Which one to eat first sorted.... :mrgreen:
It would be if only she was the bigger of the two. Tiny cat belongs to my middle child and is as her name suggests tiny. No one eats my hot water bottle 😂
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

IMG_20210215_124143.jpg
Not pets but definite assets, well within range...... :lol: