Air conditioning

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
nickdutch

Air conditioning

Post by nickdutch »

Just another fun idea I spotted online

https://youtu.be/w6MrLhir82o
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
izzy_mack

Re: Air conditioning

Post by izzy_mack »

Cool! ;)
Raven

Post by Raven »

OMG THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! :!:

I was incredibly sick this year when we had the heatwave, I got heat exhaustion before it got really bad which then evolved into heat stroke a few people were genuinely concerned I almost died at one point. :oops: One of them thinks they saved me by looking after me, I don’t really know it was all a bit hazy and I thought I was trying to sleep through the worst of it, less movement less body heat created etc.

My point was, we talked about getting air con, the quote was around 2k for one room!!! :evil: Plus electrics!!! I was like for 2 weeks of the year and 2 really bad abs i’ll cope or go last minute on holiday to Iceland/Alaska. 8-)

:tinfoil

But this even I could make!!!!! :lol: Thank you for the share.

Means I need to clear a freezer drawer though...probably should do anyway in case the power goes out, less goes to waste/needs eating up quick. Lol
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Woah, £2k for one room? Portable aircon units on wheels are around £200, as of spring 2018! Not built in, no, but £1800 difference is appreciable.

I confess, I haven't watched that video - but keeping cool will get more and more important. I got a dizzy spell this year after one of the hot days :(
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

One issue is freezing enough water on the continent you can pick up ice bricks from most shops for next to nothing..

Put large bottles or tubs of water in your freezer it raises the internal temperature partially thawing stuff
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Raven

Post by Raven »

Yeah it was a bit ridiculous price. :o

Problem with where I live is the poor insulation, which means its freezing in the winter and warm in the summer, but its affordable for me and my pets so I make do. :D

If you put small bowls of water in the tray and gradually add more then the freezer should cope? Like adding a couple of dishes of extra food? :?:

I have never actually seen anywhere that sells "bricks" of ice. Then again I guess I never buy ice, as I make my own. It always seems to be out of stock the few times of the years I need extra haha a prime example of something else for me to prepare for perhaps? ROFLOL :lol:

I liked how big the bin was though, saves filling it up constantly and I imagine it will be big enough to cope with my 'oom. (approx 4 X 3.5) 8-)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
floojab

Post by floojab »

Dragging up an old post I know, but a few years ago I bought a precharged split-air conditioning unit brand new for around £350. I just needed to drill an 80mm hole throught the wall and as it was precharged with the gas, just connect the two units with the quick connect.

It has served me well for years and really cheap to run. During the summer we have it on every night and it's really quiet too.

I hard wired mine in but it can be wired using a flex cable and just plugged in.

Combined with solar black-out blinds and solar blackout curtains it creates an awesome place to sleep.

I have dual zone central heating so did have to move the thermostat to another room for the upstairs and turn off the radiator but it's one of the best things i've done in my house.

Edit for spelling :roll: