What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arwen Thebard

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Jillybean wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 pm Hi, it was sucking the air out. It was an online video. Only tried a few but I don't think it is going to work. I'm checking every other day, but I'm not confident, so just using Masson jars for now after your post. The jars I tested were sealed, I'm just not sure if will hold. I have got a vacuum sealer with hose attachment coming from MIL for my birthday, so might invest in the jar attachment. I'm prepared for short term, what I'm trying to do is find something longer term. As it stands, the kids are eating things almost as fast as I can make them, so storage isn't an immediate issue.
We had been looking to buy a "Food Saver" kit from the US (See pic below) which was about £80 inc shipping, which seemed rather expensive to me.
Food Saver 1 £80.jpg

So I made this vacuum set up from old bits and pieces, it connects to the outlet of our vacuum / heat bag sealer machine and it works fine.
The white tub came with a Christmas pudding. The main clear tubing and red cork are standard wine making kit. The black rubber seal (between the glass jar and the white tub) is a piece of hose from an old garden solar water feature.

I used some ptfe tape to seal the red rubber cork in the 25mm hole I had drilled through the white tub and added a small reducer pipe where the clear tube connects to the machine.

It fits the standard 70mm mason jar lids and would you just need a bigger white tub if you wanted it for larger sized jars.
Pump 1.jpg
Pump 2.jpg
Pump 3.jpg
Pump 4.jpg
Pump 5.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Not strictly to do with dehydrating, but if anyone needs a supplier of replacement mason jar caps, these are good value at about half the usual price £30 for 100. The silicon seal is white rather than the usual red colour but they have worked fine for us over time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-70mm-r ... %7Ciid%3A1
Mason jar replacement caps.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Thanks pseudonym, will give it a try with some of the shop bought stuff prior to harvesting my own later in the year.
Growing old disgracefully!
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:27 am
So I made this vacuum set up from old bits and pieces, it connects to the outlet of our vacuum / heat bag sealer machine and it works fine.
The white tub came with a Christmas pudding. The main clear tubing and red cork are standard wine making kit. The black rubber seal (between the glass jar and the white tub) is a piece of hose from an old garden solar water feature.

I used some ptfe tape to seal the red rubber cork in the 25mm hole I had drilled through the white tub and added a small reducer pipe where the clear tube connects to the
Very cool! Our dehydrator has been quiet. Hopefully if the garden works out well it will be busy in the furure.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Back on to dehydrating camping meals.

With the lockdown easing in England on Wednesday, Dehydrating Konjac noodles, cauliflower rice and dill pickle slices... Yeah it's 0330 so what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:35 am Back on to dehydrating camping meals.

With the lockdown easing in England on Wednesday, Dehydrating Konjac noodles, cauliflower rice and dill pickle slices... Yeah it's 0330 so what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Onto the lettuce now as part of my green powders. :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Dehydrated Sauerkraut today. Use in salads etc. Can be used as a powdered vinegar/salt substitute.

Stole the idea from this bloke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr8wAm7i-vo
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Bought 3 punnets of mushrooms as they were on offer at Sainsurys. Dehydrated them slowly at 43 degrees for about 9 hours and now 3 punnets of mushrooms fit into one kilner jar! I have had the dehydrator sitting under the spare bed for a year. Figured I really ought to use it again. The few mushrooms that were still soft as I had cut them too thick compared to the others are in a tub in the fridge. They'll go into a stew,/risotto or something. The problem is as with a lot of food you dehydrate, the flavour intensifies and I can't help nibbling on the now extra tasty product as I'm packaging it up for storage. :lol:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:26 pm The problem is as with a lot of food you dehydrate, the flavour intensifies and I can't help Testing the now extra tasty product as I'm packaging it up for storage. :lol:
FIFY :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

:D
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)