Lidl - Aldi - bread flour

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Moorland Prepper

Lidl - Aldi - bread flour

Post by Moorland Prepper »

For years I have been buying bread flour from both of the above, but usually from Lidl.

I'm now finding it harder and harder to buy any. My local Lidl hasn't had any at all for the past three or four weeks.

Anyone know if they are stopping supplyng bread flour or is this just due to the general shortages that we have been experiencing? I can get pleanty of bread flour from Amazon and the likes of Shipton Mill, but it costs three ot four times as much as Lidl.
Quill

Re: Lidl - Aldi - bread flour

Post by Quill »

In NI, at least the 2-3 Lidl stores I'd use I've never seen them stock "bread" flour, just plain or self-raising but that may be a difference between NI and mainland GB.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

There was an issue with packaging, not sure if that's still the case.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Do none of the other supermarkets have any? The prices are not drastically higher...or is it a quality issue?

A quick look at a popular auction site shows 16kg for around £20 delivered. Maybe not Lidl cheap but available.

No cash and carry or wholesalers that a mate could access for you? Or even a friendly local bakers shop that you could sweet talk into helping you out for cash and a pint?

Or am I missing the point?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Moorland Prepper

Do none of the other supermarkets have any? The prices are not drastically higher...or is it a quality issue?

A quick look at a popular auction site shows 16kg for around £20 delivered. Maybe not Lidl cheap but available.
There is a lot about but i just like the Lidl flour. I asked a member of staff and they didn't know.

I've tried various brands of flour in the past and settled on Lidl's as the best for me.

Just wondered if anyone knew.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:22 pm For years I have been buying bread flour from both of the above, but usually from Lidl.

I'm now finding it harder and harder to buy any. My local Lidl hasn't had any at all for the past three or four weeks.

Anyone know if they are stopping supplyng bread flour or is this just due to the general shortages that we have been experiencing? I can get pleanty of bread flour from Amazon and the likes of Shipton Mill, but it costs three ot four times as much as Lidl.
Aldi has always had patchy bread flour stocks, but when I was in there Saturday, they had white bread flour. I was surprised!
Moorland Prepper

Just a catch up. I'm now able to buy both wholemeal and white flour at both Lidl and Aldi, still at 59p for 1.5 kg.
British Red

Post by British Red »

If you have the space, it's worth vacuum packing flour ( still in it's paper bag) then freezing for 48 hours. Once defrosted we put it (still vac packed) into clip top crates and store in the barn. Lasts two years easily.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:24 pm If you have the space, it's worth vacuum packing flour ( still in it's paper bag) then freezing for 48 hours. Once defrosted we put it (still vac packed) into clip top crates and store in the barn. Lasts two years easily.
In the barn?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

That's where we put it. We use the big "really useful" boxes. Each holds c. 15kg of flour. Once the flour has been frozen to kill weevil eggs (endemic in all flour)we aim for dry (vac packed) and cool (unheated building).

This is how we do it

https://youtu.be/e3d2QyGRXoY