Pressure Cookers

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Pressure Cookers

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:55 pm
shocker wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:33 pm Sitting next to explosive devices is not to everyone's taste
RIGHT. And scraping lentil soup off the kitchen ceiling either. :twisted:

Would make a change from wood chip :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It is like everything - risks versus benefits. If a cooker is correctly maintained and used appropriately it is no more of a risk than any other house or garden appliance.Explosion risks are managed by multiple failsafes in the design. To my mind frying chips the old fashioned way is a lot more dangerous as is using a chainsaw.

The biggest risk I have experienced is that the contents are extremely hot if you open the cooker as soon as the time is up, constituting a scalding risk. My aunt did manage to paint the ceiling with mashed potato - she ignored the instructions and removed the weight from an old style cooker before it had been cooled down.
The big benefit is that I can rescue "old" beans and lentils which would stay hard with traditional cooking which lets me use my stores more easily and with current energy prices, the shorter cooking times are also good news.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Another p cooker plus is being able to make class to authentic KFC.

The recipe is easy to find online now but the final trick is that they use pressure friers. So, oil in p cooker, job done
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Now that DOES frighten me!
shocker

Post by shocker »

As the old chestnut goes..."what could possibly go wrong?"

:o :roll: no
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Love mine, I bought a steamer a few years ago and then went back to the pressure cooker. Mines an old Prestige one. Mostly do veg in mine, it saves the kitchen being filled with steam from pans boiling. It makes a great corned beef hash too in only 8 mins from getting up to pressure.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:35 am Thinking of investing in one. Yay or nay? Any recommendations?
Small ones in Lidl soon
Screenshot_20220121-083252.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:34 am
itsybitsy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:35 am Thinking of investing in one. Yay or nay? Any recommendations?
Small ones in Lidl soon Screenshot_20220121-083252.png
Aldi Had some in this week. No idea if they are any good.

Did you know: Aldi specials are left out until they sell, but Lidl return their special buys to their warehouse at the end of the offer period. Which is why we can seldom just drop on a Lidl special buy by the time it's been mentioned on a forum :(
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Smaller ones are too short to take Kilner jars for small scale pressure or steam canning but make good quick stews and casseroles. Mine has 2 bottoms and a normal lif as well as the pressure lid. The small bottom lives in the loft as I only ever use the bigger one