Meat tax

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Meat tax

Post by jansman »

A meat tax won’t have to be implemented. Our manager warned me to be aware of prices changed on our tills yesterday. It’s eye watering. I have noticed too,that the Christmas orders are very basic- not too many whistles and bells being added ( suits me fine TBH!). It is apparent to me that people are quietly reining in expenses.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Re Grenfell's earlier post:-

"One little story. I did mention rationing and i'm almost surprised to not have heard the term black market. My father was just too young to be enlisted but my grandfather was a farmer , so a reserved occupation , and i can remember the stories of how he would buy black market petrol from army lorry drivers."

In the war, my dad was on transport. He wasn't considered 'A1' fit as he'd lost the top of his 'trigger' finger to gangrene when he was younger. He used to drive lorries and went all over the country to various army depots. He said they would 'coast down all the hills in Wales' which saved a lot of fuel, then they'd trade the fuel with the farmers along the way. He said the farmers were very generous and my dad helped fix some tractors for them. He said the fuel was dyed red but the farmers filtered it through bread or charcoal to remove the dye. He said if he'd been caught he'd have been shot!
So i agree, the black market where people barter and trade will certainly reappear if meat is taxed and becomes very expensive. There will also be a reappearance of cattle/sheep/pig stealing and black market abattoirs!
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

If I walk a mile in any direction from my home im in deep countryside small single track roads the odd private home or farmhouse poaching has always been a local problem but if prices rise as expected then instead of a few rabbits were see sheep and cows go missing in a area hard to monitor add local knowledge impossible to catch.
Fill er up jacko...