long life snack bars

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
korolev

long life snack bars

Post by korolev »

Going through the car bag today and found a pack of date expired cereal bars. Whilst I'd still eat them if desperate, I'd rather replace them with something "in date".
Is there anything out there that's a got a good shelf life, tastes ok and is reasonably cheap ?

The alternative being a pack of cheap cereal bars from Lidl and remembering to change them every 6 months. The other alternative is a separate "snack bag" in the car but the danger there is we'd eat them at the first opportunity.
ForgeCorvus

Re: long life snack bars

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Long life, Tastes good, Cheap........ Pick two :D

NRG-5 aren't horrible (I don't think so anyway) and are supposed to last 15 to 20 years, not cheap though.

I've found a few different snack/cereal bars that I like and store reasonably well, such as:
Nature Valley Oats & Honey..... Tescons did an 'own brand' version that was also pretty good
Belvita - Breakfast Biscuits are a little on the breakable side.
Frusli are chewy and taste of the fruit, but tend to have shorter dates then the hard baked biscuits

Avoid any of the 'Light' options as these are low on calories and really don't fill you up.
The types with chocolate chips or yogurt coating don't last as long.

They're all bung full of sugar
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Go with the cheap ones and replace your car temperature will change with the seasons ie boiling hot in summer and freezing in winter as you know you need stable temperatures to store food long term.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

I used to keep ‘lifeboat’ rations in my ghb.They are basically high calorie shortbread biscuits, but they are awful! So I just bought some nice Scottish shortbread.I keep some breakfast bars in there too.For rotation purposes,everything with an expiry date ( and that includes batteries and purification tablets too)I keep in a plastic bag,rolled up in the top of the small backpack I keep my gear in.That way there is no excuse for stuff going over. I don’t have to keep messing about with my kit then either.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Oatmeal well packed in ziplock bags lasts years. There is no real use by dates on golden syrup, honey, sugar. Mix that lot together, bake for 15m and you got flapjacks that are not pumped full of artificial preservatives. You can add things like dried fruit, candid peel or if eating quickly fresh fruit like apples and pears.

You don't need to stock up on snack bars, make your own, they are a dam sight better than a shop bought cereal bar.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I think I'm gonna go for a cheap pack of biscuits and better management.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Ever thought of peanuts a 200g bag at 50p has 1200 calories or peanut butter spread on cheapo bicckys covers it with
Carbohydrates
Fats
Protein.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

A fruit and nut mix is good too. I think the yanks call it GORP - Good Ole Raisins and Peanuts.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It is the sort of thing you could put into the calendar to swap out whenever the clocks change That way you get a memory jog that a check is due and can swap between summer & winter friendly options.